Rebarrel to fast twist 270 Win or go 6.8 Western?

Hey Roksliders,

I've got a Tikka T3x that I love chambered in 270 Win. I've hunted with it for while now and have dispatched a lot of game species throughout the west. After keeping her more or less stock for the last 8 years, I've finally decided to do some customization starting with the barrel.

I'm a fan of the Barnes LRX bullet and have been using the 129gr .277 for a long time. Now a 155 gr LRX is available as are a number of Hammer bullets in various weights 150gr+. In order to spin these heavier bullets I'd need a 1:8 or faster barrel twist or faster. I've done some research and 270 Win can do it, but it seems like in many ways the 6.8 Western was designed to do this very efficiently.

My question to you all is do I get a straightforward 270 Win barrel with a faster twist and a threaded muzzle for a can (other reason I'm doing this) or do I take this opportunity to switch to a cartridge more purpose-built for the longer heavier bullets I'm interested in? Seems like if I went 6.8 Western my experience would be really reloading focused whereas if I stick with 270 Win can continue go factory or handholds depending on the circumstance/level of laziness, etc.

For some context I do reload and have a nice little shop for load development at my place. I also want to stick with the .277 Cals. Not interested in 7 mags or PRC, etc.

Thanks for the input!

What is your reasoning for wanting to stay with .277 caliber? You will definitely get better bullet selection and similar performance moving to 6.5 or 7mm.

LightFoot

WKR
The Browning Speed SR might be a good option to get a 6.8 Western suppressor ready and probably just a little more money than a rebarrel. Keep your current .270 as a backup.

If you rebarrel, I’d stick with the .270 with a fast twist barrel instead of having to get a new bolt or open it up for the magnum bolt face.

You could probably neck-down a 280 AI to .277, but I am not sure the tiny performance increase would be worth the effort.

>>>——JAKE——>

amassi

WKR
Bingo ^
Ran both the 129 and 155 through applied ballistics and at sea level the both reach 2000 fps at 580 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A
Thanks but a number of these responses aren't helpful gentlemen. Speed does not kill big game. Energy kills big game.

My current load pushes a 129 gr LRX to 500 yards at which point the energy falls to 1,500 ft-lbs., the minimum recommended for killing elk. This matters to me because I live in Colorado and I kill elk. Most of the animals I've taken have been inside 400 yards but there are couple of spots where the animals go after the pressure of opening day of first rifle that would require a 550 yard shot. Every year I watch the animals there and I think about it. Sometimes the wind is blowing too much for a shot like that even if my rifle was capable, but sometimes it is dead still in which case I'd love to tweak my setup for it (and I want to add a can). Hence this post.

I don't want to switch rifles because Browning doesn't offer a left-handed bolt in many options which I need because I'm left eye dominant. On top of that this rifle has huge sentimental value to me. It belonged to my best friend who was killed by a drunk driver during the evening commute home from work. He was also left eye dominant and I helped him pick out the rifle. He died before we ever got to go hunting together.

Also, I think .277s are the sweet spot between bullet energy to kill and recoil energy to manage. The US Army agrees and has tentatively adopted the .277 (6.8mm) in the Sig Sauer MCX Spear. 6.8mm will be more abundant than 5.56 in the decades to come. Bullet selection in .277 will stretch out as far as the eye can see.

I want to keep hunting with this gun until I die.

Screen Shot 2024-09-28 at 15.20.33.png

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
Hahahahahaha
Energy and Army.
Velocity, not energy will open your lead free bullets
Good luck with your rebarrel

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The applicable question, I think, is how far will you be shooting game with it?

Match the velocity to the desired max distance. You don’t need extra velocity and the additional recoil that comes with it. If the .270 does it, that’s your answer. Modern bullets are so effective you don’t need the “knockdown power” of magnums.

If the .270 has done it for you all these years, why change cartridges? Just shoot the heavier bullet if you want. A .270 or .280 AI are gonna be great for most hunters. 6-700 yards is not out of the question.

OP
A
Hahahahahaha
Energy and Army.
Velocity, not energy will open your lead free bullets
Good luck with your rebarrel

Think a little harder bud. Bullet is moving at Barnes' recommended speed for expansion long after it looses 1500 ft-lbs. of energy.

Leibhart1

FNG
Might wanna check out the 270 Sherman. Based off the 270 win and has 5% more case capacity than the 270AI. Im having one built right now

Leibhart1

FNG
Might wanna check out the 270 Sherman. Based off the 270 win and has 5% more case capacity than the 270AI. Im having one built right now

3100 fps has been reached with the 170 Berger and over 3200’ with 150’s