Rangefinder Upgrade

Gonewest

WKR
I have a Sig 2000. I like it other that the fact I can barely see the display on bright days. It makes it almost completely useless.

So I’m looking to upgrade to one that has a better display. I’ll use it for bow and rifle hunting (mainly rifle). Rifle shots on game out to 600 yards but would like to range farther. My budget is $400-$500.

What do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Despite all the negative nancies I have had stellar success with the Vortex Razor 4000.
Im sure someone will be along shortly to cry about having to actually use their warranty when the vast majority of people havent but I knew I needed a warranty because I break everything. Most companies dont warranty me. Just their work.
Anyways, I have hand held and ranged deer ar 1k and beyond. Smallish steel targets at 2k on a tripod. A shed at a confirmed 3200 on a tripod.

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
After some research it seem the Leica 2700, Leupold 2800 and Vortex 4000 are good options in that price bracket. Does anyone have experience with these?

Wassid82

WKR
I've had Leupold/vortex/ and now Leica.....They aren't the exact models you outlined above but I think I have a good idea......IMO Leica is a cut above the rest. Right now I'm using Leica 2400. clarity of the glass and quick distance readings are hands down better with the Leica.

NYSKIER

WKR
I've got a vortex with no issues but I've heard great things about Leica's. If I didn't get a deal on the vortex I would have ended up with a Leica

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
Leica, the optics are great as well as the easy to read backlit red range, temp, angle, Baro readings.

archp625

WKR
I have a Sig 2000. I like it other that the fact I can barely see the display on bright days. It makes it almost completely useless.

So I’m looking to upgrade to one that has a better display. I’ll use it for bow and rifle hunting (mainly rifle). Rifle shots on game out to 600 yards but would like to range farther. My budget is $400-$500.

What do you recommend?

You want to sell your 2000's? I'm looking to upgrade to the next level with my 850's.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Leicas. I may give y’all a shout and grab one of the member specials too. I was still rocking the CRF1200 and CRF1600B, accidentally donated the 1600B to the tundra this moose season. They both performed great on many hunts and took all kind of abuse. The 1200 has been loaned out countless times to friends and family too. Just don’t set one of those boogers down and walk off too far.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider

What do you recommend?

If you like your Sig, the 1600 has the light up OLED display. It was new last year, I bought one and it was really great for me. They are $390 MSRP

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I used to be a Leica RF fanboy... until I tried using my 2000-B in a little fog. I could see elk with my eyes, but absolutely could not get a range on it (kept reading between 70-150y, when I was obviously looking at something much farther). My brother was carrying my older (and cheaper) Leupold RX1200i and we were able to repeatedly get an accurate range out to something like 1150 yards in the same conditions. I really love the glass, display and speed of the Leicas (also had a 1600-B in the past), but it was worthless when I really needed it. The other downside to Leicas (for me) is that it won't give you just the horizontal distance (or simple angle compensation) like the Leupold will -- the Leica always also factors in things like temperature and atmospheric pressure (which I found to be somewhat inaccurate since I keep my RF warmer than normal conditions in my chest harness). I now have a Leupold RX-2800 and really love it. It works for me and what I want in data. I don't mean to slam Leica, I just believe my experience might shed light on aspects or features of a rangefinder that are overlooked (or not important) to some.

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
Just bumping this up since I haven’t bought one yet. Budget is still the same.