Range session round count

crich

WKR
How many shots are you guys getting off during your average range session? Obviously it varies if youre doing load work-up or just ringing steel but Im just curious. Some days It seems as if I can barely get through a box and others I wish I had brought more.

nobody

WKR
Same. Some days I hit the hill on my way home from the office and am rushed and might only get off a total of 5 shots, all at distance (beyond 300), and other days I’m going through 50+ rounds. Depends on my time and how I’m feeling and what I’m trying to accomplish.

I’ll say, my period of the most growth I ever experienced in my shooting abilities was back in 2019. I had drawn a peak rut Utah limited entry rifle tag, it was my first ever “really good” tag. In the 3 months between drawing the tag and opening day, I shot almost every day, rarely missing a session. I had a spot where I could go and not be bothered and shoot from 200 to about 850. I never shot more than 20 rounds in a session, and typically would shoot just 3-4 magazines worth (3 round mags). The +/- 1k rounds I put down range from my hunting rifle in that time frame opened my eyes and my abilities and confidence increased exponentially. I found both my strengths and my weaknesses and was able to practice accordingly, and when the hunt rolled around, I would’ve never hesitated to take a shot inside the limits of my rangefinder that I had that year (850, at the time).

I still try to shoot as often as I can (without shirking other responsibilities), in fact I’m going out tomorrow. I believe in spent primers and burnt powder, but I’m also a firm believer that consistency is key. You can go shoot 500 rounds in one session, but if it’s not focused practice and it doesn’t have a purpose or you don’t have goals for your session, it’s just wasted time. Personally, I would rather shoot just 20-40 rounds in a session, but be able to go almost every single day after work and have focused, meaningful practice.

If a guy goes every day after work, and never misses a day off, that’s 260 days of practice. Let’s say occasionally he has things going on, so he only is able to go 75% of the time, so that becomes 195 days. If he shoots a box and a half every trip out (30 rounds), that’s 5,850 trigger presses per year. If it’s only one box (20 rounds), that’s 3,900 trigger presses. Either way, you’ve burned out 1 6.5 creedmoor barrel per year at that rate. And because it’s occurring consistently, your skills will stay sharp and confidence will skyrocket.

OG10

FNG
I shot 50 rounds today positional 22lr I shoot 22lr often and 2 months before my first hunt I practice with the rifle I’ll be using ,seriously 22lr is great practice for trigger press ,breathing,and fallow through.this works for me year round.

JohnnyB

WKR
When I go out shooting steel I usually shoot 50-60 rounds through my practice rifle and 5-10 through my hunting rifle. Last trip I dialed in the steel at 784 with my hunting setup and nailed it three shots in a row. Packed up and left happy.