Range medical kit

Druew368

FNG
RN/Paramedic here, I'm pretty curious what others have in their range medical kit. I'll share the contents of ours, disclaimer being to not use equipment or perform procedures you aren't formally trained in or at the very least very comfortable with.
We have a range on our farm - us, family, friends, employees, and other visitors shoot pretty frequently. Instead of carrying a bag around, we installed a cabinet physically at the range that serves as our range medical kit.
Contents:
Trauma shears, S/M/L/XL exam gloves, size 9 (my size) surgical gloves, size 7.5 (my wife's size) surgical gloves, face shields, 4 CAT tourniquets, pressure bandages, celox with applicator, quikclot gauze, stypnic pencil, 8x10 abdominal gauze pads, 4x4 gauze sponges, roller gauze, packing gauze, disposable scalpel, ARS needles, chest seals, straight hemostat, kelly clamp, mosquito clamp, metzembaum scissors, needle driver, tissue forceps, 2-0/3-0 monofilament vascular suture, premixed iodine-saline-benzocaine flushes for wound irrigation, sterile saline flushes for wound/eye irrigation, stethoscope, NPA set, OPA set, pocket BVM, silver silvadene for burns, ZipStitch, Steri Strips

fwafwow

WKR
RN/Paramedic here, I'm pretty curious what others have in their range medical kit. I'll share the contents of ours, disclaimer being to not use equipment or perform procedures you aren't formally trained in or at the very least very comfortable with.
We have a range on our farm - us, family, friends, employees, and other visitors shoot pretty frequently. Instead of carrying a bag around, we installed a cabinet physically at the range that serves as our range medical kit.
Contents:
Trauma shears, S/M/L/XL exam gloves, size 9 (my size) surgical gloves, size 7.5 (my wife's size) surgical gloves, face shields, 4 CAT tourniquets, pressure bandages, celox with applicator, quikclot gauze, stypnic pencil, 8x10 abdominal gauze pads, 4x4 gauze sponges, roller gauze, packing gauze, disposable scalpel, ARS needles, chest seals, straight hemostat, kelly clamp, mosquito clamp, metzembaum scissors, needle driver, tissue forceps, 2-0/3-0 monofilament vascular suture, premixed iodine-saline-benzocaine flushes for wound irrigation, sterile saline flushes for wound/eye irrigation, stethoscope, NPA set, OPA set, pocket BVM, silver silvadene for burns, ZipStitch, Steri Strips
I usually carry a Dark Angel kit, or at least a TQ, anytime I am at the range or in the field.

I have a bag I always keep with me with misc things I may need, some of which are medical stuff. A couple tourniquets, chest seals, quick clot, gauze, tape, compression bandages, etc. But most of it is OTC stuff for minor issues.

tony

WKR
Nothing at all. Been a medic for 31 years.
Same here Fire/medic, RN 30 years combined
I have a box of gloves in the truck and my phone.
I do keep some band aids in my wallet, handy as hell :)

I have a small "med" bag in the house somewhere full of expired, rotten stuff I'm sure.
Probably should put something small together and keep in my ride.

Cracks me up to read what some people carry on some of the prepper sites.
I remember one dude had a bottle of O2, an old monitor, intubation stuff, it was crazy.

A couple chest darts(ars needles as stated in op) if you know what they’re for and when they’re needed could be helpful and take up little space. Epi pen. Benadryl.

I always have some basic first aid supplies.

If I'm gonna need more than bandaids to go to a range, I'll go to a different range.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Your list is extensive and way above what most outdoors people carry or know how to use. A basic first aid kit, perhaps commercial would suffice in most situations.

Personally I would not perform advanced techniques even tho trained.

A good form of communication for the area you're in is essential (Just make sure it's charged). However, a cell phone may not always be sufficient. Plus there's the old saying hunt with a buddy.

Most of my injuries can be handled by bandaids. However, I understand that this is a range kit and not a personal carry kit which should be limited in weight. I feel that a manner of stopping bleeding, and a good form of communication for the location you at meets the basic requirements.

In addition I wonder how many have completed a basic first aid course. It could make all the difference.

Thanks, Good post

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I thought about this post today. I was removing a tree stand so loggers could cut out a section of pines. I cut the strap holding the the stand with a home made tree pruner. The resulting tension drove a bolt into my hand. Impressive amount of blood.

First aid kit was a half mile away in my jeep. So my first aid was to cut piece of my tee shirt and use it as a pressure bandage. Point is there is always something to use in an emergency. I have found that most people don't carry a first aid kit. Sometimes you just need to think outside the box.

fwafwow

WKR
I thought about this post today. I was removing a tree stand so loggers could cut out a section of pines. I cut the strap holding the the stand with a home made tree pruner. The resulting tension drove a bolt into my hand. Impressive amount of blood.

First aid kit was a half mile away in my jeep. So my first aid was to cut piece of my tee shirt and use it as a pressure bandage. Point is there is always something to use in an emergency. I have found that most people don't carry a first aid kit. Sometimes you just need to think outside the box.
It definitely helps to think outside of the box. But also to have taken at least a basic course, as you said above. Based on my limited training, I at least like to carry a tourniquet - as that may be harder to improvise in very short order.

tony

WKR
Actually dug out and used my aid bag the other day.
GFs horse got her back leg in some wire, she’s near totally blind. Avulsed the skin from the knee to the ankle. Dressing materials I have are old an expired but worked.
Ended up having to put her down. :cry: Her age 33, vision issues, and the injury. Vet felt to many things to go wrong going into winter.
cried like a baby, I did.

This being a older dated thread but got me thinking, my shooting buddy and I were at a range the other day, we do a good bit of shooting on this range as its the only range we can get to that has at least 600 yards its way out in the boonies as in no cell coverage and perhaps a 10 mile drive before you even get sketchey service, the nearest hospital is around 15 miles away and that’s on back country roads through the mountains think max safe speed in a bad situation might be 50mph and that’s pushing It. Made me think what we need to put together in order to get us out a bad situation if one were to happen.