Range finders

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to slowly gear up for some outwest hunting in Colorado or Montana. I currently live in Florida so there's not much hunting here other than tree stands and hogs. I'm looking at range finders but I'm not sure how high qualityto go. Is it essential to be able to range out past 3000 yd? Is 4000 handy?

sndmn11

WKR
No, I think 1k is the minimum. You then have a big buffer in between what is capable with the RF and (likely) your max shooting range. Rather than potentially having a max shooting range of 400 and a RF capable of 500, you might be clueless that your buck is at 510 versus 800 and that info would be invaluable.

lpplayer59

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the application. However, I think the glass Mfg is more important than extra yardage. Meaning, I’d take an 800 yard Leica I’d take over a lesser 2k yard Sig (I’m also not shooting past 600 yards). A red display is a must for me.

Its really not necessary to be able to range out past 1000 yards. Its fun to be able to check distances way out there, but unless you can shoot game at 3000 yards, it isn’t necessary.

Antares

WKR
Just make sure you buy double (approx) whatever you actually want to range. Want to range 500 yards? Get something that advertises 800-1000 yards. Want to range 1000 yards? Get something that advertises 1600-2000 yards, etc.

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
I was kind of leaning towards the 3000 yrd range because of have very little practice glassing an I'm worried I'll spot something and go after it just to realize what I thought was 1300 yards and an hour stalk away is actually 4000yds away. Probably just over worried. What's a good magnification to go for? I was looking at some of the vortex range finders(I'm a sucker for lifetime warranties) and I think they had a 7x magnification.

sndmn11

WKR
I was kind of leaning towards the 3000 yrd range because of have very little practice glassing an I'm worried I'll spot something and go after it just to realize what I thought was 1300 yards and an hour stalk away is actually 4000yds away. Probably just over worried. What's a good magnification to go for? I was looking at some of the vortex range finders(I'm a sucker for lifetime warranties) and I think they had a 7x magnification.

Order this https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/rangefinders/products/rf-1-5-4500

It satisfies your lifetime warranty want, and it doesn't suck, it is great.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
Yea, you are Over thinking the range part. You'll quickly know if that distance is too far without having to range it. Get the Onxhunt map App or any like it, you can draw a line on the App to get an idea of such distances, etc.
As you look at range finders, keep in mind one with an incline measurement might be helpful in calculating scope adjusting as you might not have any experience with shooting uphill or downhill. It does make a big difference on the bullets flight path especially at longer range shots of +400...

I really like the Vortex options. The Viper and Razor are both fast ranging and have some nice features. Vortex's warranty is obviously great. It seems like the lifespan of rangefinders are shorter due to the amount of electronics inside. That's why I think Vortex is a good buy.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Depends on the application. However, I think the glass Mfg is more important than extra yardage. Meaning, I’d take an 800 yard Leica I’d take over a lesser 2k yard Sig (I’m also not shooting past 600 yards). A red display is a must for me.
I have a Leica 1000 and it’s awesome and affordable
I use it to know when I am in my comfort zone, and how to reach the comfort zone, “ buck 800yards , tree /drainage on approach 500 , make it to the tree , test wind , glass area from different angle for hidden animal and best stalking route to my target

jayhawk

WKR
Just make sure you buy double (approx) whatever you actually want to range. Want to range 500 yards? Get something that advertises 800-1000 yards. Want to range 1000 yards? Get something that advertises 1600-2000 yards, etc.
+1 I would stay away from the Leupold rangefinders as their HUD fades over time. Looked through a few used ones and I could barely see them on a sunny day. Vortex makes pretty good ones as that's what I run and I've been happy with it.

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
Yea, you are Over thinking the range part. You'll quickly know if that distance is too far without having to range it. Get the Onxhunt map App or any like it, you can draw a line on the App to get an idea of such distances, etc.
As you look at range finders, keep in mind one with an incline measurement might be helpful in calculating scope adjusting as you might not have any experience with shooting uphill or downhill. It does make a big difference on the bullets flight path especially at longer range shots of +400...
I appreciate the onx mention. I'll look into that.

Tonyslong

FNG
Classified Approved
+1 I would stay away from the Leupold rangefinders as their HUD fades over time. Looked through a few used ones and I could barely see them on a sunny day. Vortex makes pretty good ones as that's what I run and I've been happy with it.
Thanks for advice