Rain pants

fshaw

WKR
I want to buy a set of rain pants this fall, already have a Sitka parka. I’ve read about the Dewpoint pant but am not sure it would hold up in the Adirondacks, can be pretty thick.

I’d like to find a set that will hold up in tough conditions and are reasonably quiet. I know it’s already noisy when it’s raining but ranges where I hunt get pretty close, can easily be inside 50 yards. I’d rather layer under the pants than have them be hot and heavy.

Any recommendations? If mountaineering company would be a better way to go, I’m good with that. I want to be able to use them from early season to first snow. Appreciate any real world experience is appreciated.

I don’t want to spend a bunch of money for a set that will be trashed in a season or two.

Thanks.

Frank

I used the Kuiu Yukon rain pants on a horseback sheep hunt last month. I didnt have to use them a ton but wore them riding, and having the horse rub up against alders and brush for hours and never had an issue with them. I'd recommend them.

twall13

WKR
So OP wants durable, quiet, breathable and able to layer under/not hot and heavy. You're going to make sacrifices somewhere with that list.

Quietest, probably something like the Kryptek Vellus but they aren't going to be as cool.

Durable while still maintaining some breathability, Kuiu Yukon or First Lite Omen would be where I'd look.

None of those are going to be super lightweight but if you want any level of durability you have to sacrifice on the weight to get that.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
I'd also recommend the Kuiu Yukons. I finally bought my own set after watching my buddy use them for years in all sorts of conditions, including the jungles of the Oregon coast on a regular basis, and they've been bulletproof.

NMJM

FNG
I would look at other mountaineering brands for sure. I don't think camo offers that much of an advantage over earth tones. Kuiu and Sitka are way more expensive than other brands like Outdoor Research and the quality is the same.

OP
F

fshaw

WKR
I would look at other mountaineering brands for sure. I don't think camo offers that much of an advantage over earth tones. Kuiu and Sitka are way more expensive than other brands like Outdoor Research and the quality is the same.
I’d be interested in hearing about experiences you’ve had with any mountaineering brands. Thanks.

OP
F

fshaw

WKR
So OP wants durable, quiet, breathable and able to layer under/not hot and heavy. You're going to make sacrifices somewhere with that list.

Quietest, probably something like the Kryptek Vellus but they aren't going to be as cool.

Durable while still maintaining some breathability, Kuiu Yukon or First Lite Omen would be where I'd look.

None of those are going to be super lightweight but if you want any level of durability you have to sacrifice on the weight to get that.

I’m certainly aware that some compromises are going to be required, just looking for a rain pant that offers the best end result for the use intended.

The Kuiu Kutana is probably quieter than the Yukon which I believe to be tougher.

I have gaiters in both, with pants/jacket in the yukons. They will seem fairly stiff when new but quiet substantially with use.

I'm not sure whether mountaineering companies use a face fabric on their rain garments because noise is not an issue for them.

Macintosh

WKR
Frank, fellow (part time) Adirondacker here, we’ve messaged.

I worked for a long time for an outdoor outerwear company and had pretty good access to a lot of companies gear, looking around for new hunting rain gear last year I bought a RAB Kangri jacket. Have used it for a year including a very wet trip to scotland. Sitka, being part of WL Gore, would have been an obvious choice, but their offerening didnt fit nearly as well (subjective). I would recommend the Rab above the other WP/B jackets I looked at including both hunting and outdoor comapnies.

I did NOT check out their matching pants as mine were still in OK shape at the time. I’m due for a set of rain pants myself though. Id at least look at the rabs based on fabric weight and feel and performance in wet, but I am a bit leery as I quickly kill even heavyweight rain pants wading through blackberry cane…50 yards and the pants are no longer waterproof, even without tears they have hundreds of little pinholes.

Have you considered something like the orvis toughshell pants? https://www.orvis.com/product/mens-pro-toughshell-pants/3ENR.html

Ive had these and the LL Bean equivalent https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/120909?itemId=504695&attrValue_0=Ash/Dark Mushroom&sku=0TVC532290 . Between the two the orvis is far better performance and lasts much longer, but the ll bean has a better fit and may be a bit quieter. There may also be other companies making a similar waterproof brush pant. I havent found the “perfect” pair of these, but they are a go-to for me bird hunting if the brush is wet. The only thing I really dislike is they are “deer color” so I always go heavy on the orange when I wear these.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
I'm not sure whether mountaineering companies use a face fabric on their rain garments because noise is not an issue for them.
The harder face fabrics shed water measureably better, so they are quantifiably more breatheable, because water in the surface of the fabric blocks the breatheability. So, its essentially as simple as quiet=less breatheable and long-term less waterproof, loud=better breatheability, better waterproof. Especially more important as nearly all companies are no longer able to use the flourinated DWR’s.

twall13

WKR
Have you considered something like the orvis toughshell pants? https://www.orvis.com/product/mens-pro-toughshell-pants/3ENR.html

Ive had these and the LL Bean equivalent https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/120909?itemId=504695&attrValue_0=Ash/Dark Mushroom&sku=0TVC532290 . Between the two the orvis is far better performance and lasts much longer, but the ll bean has a better fit and may be a bit quieter. There may also be other companies making a similar waterproof brush pant. I havent found the “perfect” pair of these, but they are a go-to for me bird hunting if the brush is wet. The only thing I really dislike is they are “deer color” so I always go heavy on the orange when I wear these.

I have the older version of the Orvis Toughshell pants and I've been really disappointed with how quickly they leaked on me. Still a good, tough pant for upland hunting but they started leaking on me within an hour of the first real storm I had them in, and I was hiking on a trail, not even brush busting. Maybe I got a bad pair? Most people speak highly of them but I've been disappointed so I may just have been unlucky and got a bad pair. The fit is interesting but I get used to it as I wear them.

The harder face fabrics shed water measureably better, so they are quantifiably more breatheable, because water in the surface of the fabric blocks the breatheability. So, it’s essentially as simple as quiet=less breatheable and long-term less waterproof, loud=better breatheability, better waterproof. Especially more important as nearly all companies are no longer able to use the flourinated DWR’s.
Here is your answer. Well written sir. Your mountaineering/expedition companies are going to care about performance over quietness all day everyday. So, while they are a better performing pant in the sense of repelling water and being more durable, they will undoubtedly be the loudest thing in the forest. I have a pair of Arcteryx rain jacket and pants (don’t recall which model) and they are the most bomber proof and driest set of rain gear I have ever owned. However, I could be heard for miles in it they are so loud.

My recommendation is Kuiu’s Chugach. I have worn this in Alaska on 3 hunts now crawling through dense undergrowth, on all four ascending steep mountainsides, and sliding butt first down scree slides. Never have had an issue with it. The Kutana would be comparable however I have never owned it so I can’t compare it. I do own the Yukon and in my opinion it’s too heavy for what I want. It’s definitely thicker, has a softer quieter feel and more water resistant, however it’s a weighty pig to pack and wear. It also doesn’t breathe anywhere close to how the Chugach breathes. I personally would not recommend it unless it was for less rigorous activity where you will be standing/sitting more than walking.

OP
F

fshaw

WKR
Thanks for the replies. Kuiu it will be. Do they run trie to size in the waist?

Appreciate the input.

Frank

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
I have the older version of the Orvis Toughshell pants and I've been really disappointed with how quickly they leaked on me. Still a good, tough pant for upland hunting but they started leaking on me within an hour of the first real storm I had them in, and I was hiking on a trail, not even brush busting. Maybe I got a bad pair? Most people speak highly of them but I've been disappointed so I may just have been unlucky and got a bad pair. The fit is interesting but I get used to it as I wear them.

Maybe, or maybe just leaking thru the zip fly and other zips, etc. I wouldnt call them “rain pants” just a different option. And yeah, the pattern doesnt have nearly enough pre-bend. FWIW my complaint with the ll bean pants was that there was more leakage thru fly, in addition to the fabric wicked water up under the hems, and they fuzzed-up excessively and wetted-out quickly as a result. Id love to mate the two and take the construction of orvis with the fit of the ll bean, but that doesnt exist afaik. I think orvis has a pretty good warranty so maybe try to get them replaced if yours are suspect?

Anyway, sounds like OP has a choice so maybe moot.

Kutana is slightly tougher than the old Yukon IMO, but slightly louder because of it but…. Neither are hard shell loud.