Rain pants

fshaw

WKR
I want to buy a set of rain pants this fall, already have a Sitka parka. I’ve read about the Dewpoint pant but am not sure it would hold up in the Adirondacks, can be pretty thick.

I’d like to find a set that will hold up in tough conditions and are reasonably quiet. I know it’s already noisy when it’s raining but ranges where I hunt get pretty close, can easily be inside 50 yards. I’d rather layer under the pants than have them be hot and heavy.

Any recommendations? If mountaineering company would be a better way to go, I’m good with that. I want to be able to use them from early season to first snow. Appreciate any real world experience is appreciated.

I don’t want to spend a bunch of money for a set that will be trashed in a season or two.

Thanks.

Frank

I used the Kuiu Yukon rain pants on a horseback sheep hunt last month. I didnt have to use them a ton but wore them riding, and having the horse rub up against alders and brush for hours and never had an issue with them. I'd recommend them.

twall13

WKR
So OP wants durable, quiet, breathable and able to layer under/not hot and heavy. You're going to make sacrifices somewhere with that list.

Quietest, probably something like the Kryptek Vellus but they aren't going to be as cool.

Durable while still maintaining some breathability, Kuiu Yukon or First Lite Omen would be where I'd look.

None of those are going to be super lightweight but if you want any level of durability you have to sacrifice on the weight to get that.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
I'd also recommend the Kuiu Yukons. I finally bought my own set after watching my buddy use them for years in all sorts of conditions, including the jungles of the Oregon coast on a regular basis, and they've been bulletproof.

NMJM

FNG
I would look at other mountaineering brands for sure. I don't think camo offers that much of an advantage over earth tones. Kuiu and Sitka are way more expensive than other brands like Outdoor Research and the quality is the same.