Rain Gear

What are you running? I’m having a hell of a time trying to make a decision on getting some new gear with all the choices out there.

wartak

FNG
Depends on the activity to be honest.. do you need breathable gear or gear that's tough and will hold up against abrasions? I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment about the endless number of choices out there.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have some really lightweight rain pieces that I use backpacking, but for hunting I've settled on Sitka's Dewpoint jacket/pants. They are still relatively lightweight (compared to other hunting rain gear), but are more robust than any of my backpacking pieces, have long pitzips and full length zips on the pants.

This year on the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open the forecast called for lots of rain and opted to bring the heavier Dewpoints- the weatherman was spot on and I was very glad I brought them. In addition to all day cold rain we were climbing through/around/under/over hundreds of downfall. I got hung up a couple of times on sharp branches, never got a puncture; my buddy brought the usual lightweight stuff and his rain gear didn't fare so well.

5lOXONg.jpg

HHdcGTq.jpg

OjCe0x5.jpg

Super tag

WKR
Sitka Dewpoint, waterproof, durable, lightweight, sized to fit with under layers. Good stuff. one Improvement they could make would be to add pockets to the pants, otherwise, these are the best I’ve owned, I’m surprised at the durability compared to others.

There is no ONE perfect set...different situations call for different gear. Explain your application(s).

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden For comparison what is the lighter backpacking rain gear you speak of? Just a non hunting brand or some true ultralight from Zpacks, enlightened equipment etc?

wartak

FNG
I've used I have had really good luck with Grundens and Frog toggs for on trail hikes and fishing but if your going through the brush and climbing through rocks something tougher like Kuiu or Sitkas offerings are great. My current rain jacket is a USAF surplus rain jacket.. very durable for the hiking and Frog togs in my pack for backup pair.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden For comparison what is the lighter backpacking rain gear you speak of? Just a non hunting brand or some true ultralight from Zpacks, enlightened equipment etc?

I've got two sets of lightweight ran jackets/pants.

The first I'd call lightweight- it's a Rab Flashpoint- the lightest three layer rain jacket made I think (7 oz)- absolutely no bells or whistles, but it works. The pants I pair with them are a Montbell pant that's no longer made- zip to a little below the knee, no bells/whistles either- 6 oz.

The other is what I'd call uber light- it's Rab's new Phantom line- jacket weighs 3 oz and the pants 2.5 oz- not a misprint :D These actually work pretty well, much better than I would have thought.

I'll take the second pair when it shows no chance of rain (as everyone knows there is always a chance in the mountains). The other when there is a chance.

Neither set I would feel comfortable bringing hunting, they are just not durable enough for much off trail stuff.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got sets of lightweight ran jackets/pants.

The first I'd call lightweight- it's a Rab Flashpoint- the lightest three layer rain jacket made I think (7 oz)- absolutely no bells or whistles, but it works. The pants I pair with them are a Montbell pant that's no longer made- zip to a little below the knee, no bells/whistles either- 6 oz.

The other is what I'd call uber light- it's Rab's new Phantom line- jacket weighs 3 oz and the pants 2.5 oz- not a misprint :D These actually work pretty well, much better than I would have thought.

I'll take the second pair when it shows no chance of rain (as everyone knows there is always a chance in the mountains). The other when there is a chance.

Neither set I would feel comfortable bringing hunting, they are just not durable enough for much off trail stuff.
You never disappoint on your gear collection!

Personally, I don't use rain pants. In terms of an upper rain shell for my torso and thighs, I carry a super lightweight knee-length rain parka (not a rain coat or rain jacket).

mtnkid85

WKR
I haven't used pants for years, for my shell Ive been using Hyperlight Mountain Gears "The Shell", which is sweet.
But after how wet this season has been I bought Sitkas Dewpoint pants and jacket. When you are wading through waist deep foliage off trail in the shady north faces all day long rain pants really start to shine.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Agreed. Short afternoon showers (very typical in the Mtn West) a jacket is all I've ever really needed. BUT for all day (or most of the day) rain and especially when the temps are 40 and below- rain pants are a necessity imho.

Full zips are nice to get them over boots, but also very nice for venting.

Pricey - but I’ve been a long time Arcteryx user (obviously no camo - I use black colors).

I have Sitka stuff too, but Arcteryx has been a long time trusted and true use for me around the world.

Hope my .02 cents can be used. eBay is a good source for good used or last season buys fyi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wartak

FNG
Yeah but it seems like high cost and higher quality go hand in hand. A coincidence? I think not :)

wartak

FNG
So you're saying it's like owning clothing that's sold at Target and owning clothing that's sold at Bloomingdales.
Generally speaking brand to brand not store to store.. but you knew that and your just trying to make a point 😉 I understand.
I wouldn't actually know what clothes sold at target are like.. I don't shop there, nor will I.

Generally speaking brand to brand not store to store.. but you knew that and your just trying to make a point 😉 I understand.
I wouldn't actually know what clothes sold at target are like.. I don't shop there, nor will I.

I bought some bath towels at Target, once.