Rain Gear in the backcountry

SUMMIT75

WKR
Hey guys was just curious from anyone's experience, do you pack full raingear or just the jacket? I've gotten pretty lucky in the past but got caught in the rain on my last scouting trip.

Is it worth it to pack both or just the top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
I typically always pack a top but if I know beforehand going into camp weather is coming I bring pants also.

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
My rain gear is pretty light weight so I always bring both.

GoatNuts

FNG
I usually pack both tops and bottoms. When I've rolled the dice based on forecast, I usually end up wishing I had it for helping cut the wind or chill while stationary glassing. BUT I get cold easily and live in WA.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on forcast. I have a kinda heavy gortex pants and a light cheap pair. Will always bring one or the other for wind blocking if nothing else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

tuffcity

WKR
Both. When its pouring down rain you'll be happy you had the top and when it stops and you're pushing through low bush you'll be happy you brought the bottoms! :)

RC

Carlin59

WKR
I made the mistake once of not packing raingear on a summer scouting trip (back when i didn't know any better and wore cotton fields pants at 13k). Of course a big storm rolled in, downpour hiking back to the truck. The feeling of soaked, frozen legs and sloppy boots for five miles was much more unpleasant than the feeling of a few extra ounces of rain bottoms in my pack since then. I will say, that for day hunts with a known forecast, I sometimes leave out the rain bottoms. However, anything overnight or above treeline I am taking rain bottoms.

OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
Thanks guys! My Kuiu Teton set is pretty light and small,no real reason not to bring both I guess.

I remember how miserable i was after we got hit with a surprise storm at 1100ft on a rock climbing trip once, would have done anything to have brought my rain pants along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike7

WKR
I take a rain jacket on every overnight and most day trips here no matter what time of year or what the forecast says, and have never been sad that I did.

I don't bring rain pants though until after mid-October or will bring sometimes as early as late September if I will be high in the Cascades. I always bring gaiters though of some sort, even on overnight summer trips on hiking trails typically. Light weight rain pants are pretty worthless here for most off trail hiking/hunting, as they will get beat up. After early to mid-October I bring them for an extra warming layer and put them on if I will be sitting/glassing in the rain, as they help me dry out the thighs of my pants while sitting, and that helps to stay warm and comfortable.

It rained ~2" during a five hour hike out on Sunday. It rained enough that each creek crossing got more and more difficult the further we descended. So I get to the truck and first thing I hear on the radio is what a beautiful sunny 80* day it is in Seattle. Which was only about 60 miles from where I was parked. I just left work and it's another beautiful sunny day but I can see the storm clouds hiding the mountains so probably still raining up there.

So yea I never leave rain gear behind no matter what the forecast.

I'm a poncho guy m'self. I pretty much always have it along with me.
Same here, poncho always comes with me. The milspec nylon ones work great and fold down to fit in a cargo pocket. I don't mind my legs getting wet and my Goretex boots with merino socks keep my feet dry enough.

I have better Goretex rain gear but it's usually too much to haul with me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk