Quitting Alcohol

eamyrick

WKR
Thanks for sharing Strousek. It’s amazing this thread has been a help. I share a lot of the same perspective as you. Learning to be happy sober was one of the biggest challenges. My last year I was drinking I was actually on-call for work a ton and couldn’t drink. I was miserable to be around in social situations because I was sober. When I could drink 12-20 was the norm. 9.5 years sober and I couldn’t imagine life another way. Sometimes I’ll have a dream that I had a beer and everything is fine and usually wake up in cold sweats. I know what is at the end of the road for me if I continued to drink and one is the start.

strousek

WKR
When I decided to quit I had no idea for how long. My wife and I said 6 months minimum. The first 6 weeks were rough. 6 months felt like an eternity but when I made it I realized I still thought about alcohol almost daily. So I said how about a year. When I made it to a year I realized there was nothing worth going back to drinking for. Occasionally I will feel the urge to have a beer with friends on the drift boat or at hunting camp. But I am quickly reminded that I don't live my life and chose my fun for alcohol anymore. Plus when I am taking twice the advantage of fishing and hunting opportunities as my buddies because they are caught up in the bottle I really appreciate my decision that much more.

schmalzy

WKR
I’m finding I REALLY enjoy the non-alcohol beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. Fills the void for me with Athletic and Sam Adam’s being my favorite ones.

I’ll give the standard disclaimer to be careful as it can be a trigger for some, but for me it works great.

lak2004

WKR
Same here. Fills the void for me with Athletic and Sam Adam’s being my favorite ones.

I’ll give the standard disclaimer to be careful as it can be a trigger for some, but for me it works great.

If you can find the mix pack of brew dog it is good stuff. Elvis AF is pretty tasty and refreshing.
I like these for when I'm with friends or camping. I drink bubbly water and stuff like that too to keep it mixed up.

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
This is like the stupid shows on the radio... "long time listener, first time caller here"

I have been following this thread for quite some time. Today marks 3 years completely sober for me so I guess its my turn to comment. I decided to get sober 100% on my own. Actually when I told my wife that I was going to try and stop drinking she answered with "what, why?" I had some issues in my life at the time mostly revolving around anger and emotional stability, or lack there of. My kids were 3 and 5 and my wife and I worked opposite shifts, so basically she was a single mom in the morning and me a single dad in the evening. Every night after work I grabbed the kids and went home just the three of us. I own my own business and take on far more than I should so stress seemed to be a constant battle. Easy solution to combat stress each night was to have a couple beers, or 6.

Everyone asks me now if I was an angry drunk. I respond the same each time, I was an angry sober. When I was sober I was on edge, snippy, ready to blow up for any reason. When I had 3+ beers in me I was easy going, happy and fun to be around. I had drank 3-6 beers a weeknight for almost 15 years. On the weekends I could easily drink a 12 pack a day and feel fine. Hell if friends were around or we were going out I could do 20 beers and wake up the next day relatively hangoverless. In one week it all snowballed eventually and I had my coming to Jesus moment. My kids did not deserve to be walking on eggshells with their dad every second that he was sober. They didn't deserve to have to learn to let daddy have a half hour in the garage after work to get loaded so that they could play with him. It was not fair to my wife to constantly have to deal with me being a jerk because I didn't have any alcohol in my system.

When I told my wife I needed to stop she was hesitant because she knew I was an asshole when I was sober. She however vowed to be by my side through it all and support me. All of my friends are drinkers and heavy drinkers. Everything in my life was revolved around drinking. On July 24th 2020 I told my wife I was quitting drinking. We went to some friends house for dinner that night. I gave in and had 2 beers as everyone else had a dozen. That was the last drink I have had in 3 years.

As most everyone here has said it was the best decision of my life. Everything I do now revolves around my wife and kids instead of alcohol. I am genuinely a happy person all the time. I lost a few friends that hindsight has shown they only wanted to drink and don't bother hanging out with a sober. Honestly how good of friends could they have been anyway so not much of a loss there. Anxiety is gone, constant stress gone, emotional rollercoaster gone. I have been able to take on twice as many projects through work and home life with half the headaches. I have found not one con of me quitting drinking.

Thank you all for sharing your own stories and experience with quitting alcohol. For those trying to quit or thinking of quitting just believe in yourself. It will take time but it will benefit you in every aspect of life.

Thanks for sharing I’m in the exact same boat and seem to have a very similar situation as you! Except my wife is asking me to quit. For the second time! Not worth losing my family over.
I’ve been following this thread for a while now and keep telling myself I’ll quit next year or in a few months and never do.
I’m only 10 days in and Im still snappy and angry at times but hopefully it gets better. Thanks for all the stories and inspiration on this thread.
Doing it for my kids and wife mostly but need to for myself too

hunt1up

WKR
Thanks for sharing I’m in the exact same boat and seem to have a very similar situation as you! Except my wife is asking me to quit. For the second time! Not worth losing my family over.
I’ve been following this thread for a while now and keep telling myself I’ll quit next year or in a few months and never do.
I’m only 10 days in and Im still snappy and angry at times but hopefully it gets better. Thanks for all the stories and inspiration on this thread.

You can do it! My wife sheepishly asked me to quit many many times. You could tell she was always reluctant to ask because she knew I'd just make some excuse about why I don't need to stop. And that's what I did for many years. She'd ask nicely, "I'd really like you to cut back on drinking." Mostly because she hated the kids always seeing beer in every setting. My response was generally something like, "I'm not hurting anything." Pretty stupid looking back on it.

I'm at 11 months today. Next month, August 26th will be a year. That's the opening day of NM antelope season and my kids each have a tag. That's going to be awesome.

strousek

WKR

Everyone is different I am sure of that. It took me a solid 6 weeks to get over the mood swings and cranky behavior. I am in no way an expert or claim to know anything about addiction but I have quit both nicotine and alcohol now on my own account cold turkey. I feel like having the internal drive to make yourself quit is far easier than quitting for someone else. Even if that someone else is your wife or kids you still need it in your heart to know you will not drink again.

I had alcohol in my house every day since I stopped drinking and never touched it. My wife still drinks a few beers here or there with dinner or on the boat. All my friends still drink heavily around me. I feel like since I made my decision to quit and determination within myself I have a far easier time resisting the urge than if I was quitting because someone else told me I needed to.

Hopefully your wife understands the anger and edginess is a temporary inconvenience to hopefully a lifetime of happiness ahead. You got this Jacob, you can quit for good.

MHB

FNG

They say 30 days and 1000 nights, and its true. You can do it. Take it one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time. Remember nothing lasts for ever, but when you are in the middle of it, it can seem like it will. Remember this is for you first, and that improves your relationship with others.

Congrats on the 10 days, That's huge.

Matt

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider

You are a better man than me sir.

My wife asked me to quit for 15 years but, I stubbornly held onto the belief that “this is who I am” and “you won’t change me”. It took me realizing that it made me an asshole and that I didn’t like the person I was when drinking to quit. I am almost four months sober and very appreciative that she stuck around for it.

lak2004

WKR
You are a better man than me sir.

My wife asked me to quit for 15 years but, I stubbornly held onto the belief that “this is who I am” and “you won’t change me”. It took me realizing that it made me an asshole and that I didn’t like the person I was when drinking to quit. I am almost four months sober and very appreciative that she stuck around for it.

It takes a strong woman to stick around through it all. My wife was never really adamant about me quitting but would suggest it at times, especially when we would have arguments because I was drunk and just wanted to pick a fight.

I commend mine, yours and all wives for putting up with drunken debauchery. They don't deserve it but thank God some of them stick around for support! Not saying all women should stick by their man no matter what but I for one am thankful mine has!

Everyone is different I am sure of that. It took me a solid 6 weeks to get over the mood swings and cranky behavior. I am in no way an expert or claim to know anything about addiction but I have quit both nicotine and alcohol now on my own account cold turkey. I feel like having the internal drive to make yourself quit is far easier than quitting for someone else. Even if that someone else is your wife or kids you still need it in your heart to know you will not drink again.

I had alcohol in my house every day since I stopped drinking and never touched it. My wife still drinks a few beers here or there with dinner or on the boat. All my friends still drink heavily around me. I feel like since I made my decision to quit and determination within myself I have a far easier time resisting the urge than if I was quitting because someone else told me I needed to.

Hopefully your wife understands the anger and edginess is a temporary inconvenience to hopefully a lifetime of happiness ahead. You got this Jacob, you can quit for good.

Did you quit alcohol and nicotine at the same time? Because that sounds like a certain death wish! I’ve found that with alcohol I only really have the urge to drink in social situations, or on a Friday afternoon when I get home from work.

And nicotine, I only think about Copenhagen roughly every waking second of every day

I quit nicotine as well (years before alcohol) and the mental battle was certainly more difficult. The ill effects of nicotine use are not as readily apparent as those from alcohol…until one day they remove half your jaw (luckily I quit before this happened).

Reactions: ODB