Quilts?

BRWNBR

WKR
Apparently I'm either old school or been living under a rock. These quilts everyone is talking about, appear
To be a light weight sleeping bag that lays flat when unzipped?
I've looked at s few, about 14oz for a 0 degree quilt. That's a lot better than my 3lb 0 degree sleeping bag!
Can these quilts be used well inside a bivy bag and what's everyone's thoughts in the advantages over a regular sleeping bag. I hunt alaska, could have tempts down to freezing. Enlighten me if you don't mind....lol

7mag.

WKR
Do a search for for Enlightened Equipment here on Rokslide. Lilbuff did a great review on them a couple of years ago. Should answer your questions. I started using a quilt a little over a year ago, and don't see ever going back o a sleeping bag.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I looked at enlighteneds web sight and went thru the pages. I'll check the search engine for the write up. Thanks.

colonel00

WKR
Where did you see a 0* quilt at 14oz?

I love my EE quilts BTW. I have a 30* and 10*. I am a warm sleeper and have yet to need the 10*. As with most gear, it comes down to personal preference an comfort. However, as an example, I had my 30* EE quilt and XLite pad down well below freezing in a floorless SL5 though I was wearing merino base layers and some socks.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I may have been reading fill weight....
Enigma elite 50
Degree says total weight of under 11 oz.
I'm sure a 0 degree bag would be almost
Double that though.
Yup found it. 0 degree is 22 ounces.

Last edited:
Littlebuffs review was spot on. I took a chance on one after reading his review, now I don't see myself ever going back to a bag under any condition in the sierras where I hunt.

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
The EE quilts are very good. I also love my Sierra Designs quilt.

dotman

WKR
Once you go quilt your 99.9% likely to never go back to a traditional bag, if you don't cheap out and do it right. I think my 0* EE is around 27oz, still lighter then a comparable traditional bag. The key is to get a GREAT pad with adequate R- value otherwise the ground cold will get you.

colonel00

WKR
Once you go quilt your 99.9% likely to never go back to a traditional bag, if you don't cheap out and do it right. I think my 0* EE is around 27oz, still lighter then a comparable traditional bag. The key is to get a GREAT pad with adequate R- value otherwise the ground cold will get you.
Says the guy that was more than hesitant to try a quilt. But, I agree whole heartedly

definitely test it out before you take it hunting jake. I was hellbent on getting one until a good friend of mine here in AK advised me against it. I personally don't know anyone up our way using one, although I'm sure there are.

colonel00

WKR
Why wouldn't you use one in Alaska? I've used one up there several times. Granted, in the bitter cold one of those wiggy's might be nice but for any above zero temps, I don't see why a quilt would be an issue. I guess shelter choice could play into it but really what is the difference between a quilt or bag of the same materials in any given situation?

dotman

WKR
definitely test it out before you take it hunting jake. I was hellbent on getting one until a good friend of mine here in AK advised me against it. I personally don't know anyone up our way using one, although I'm sure there are.

Luke and Becca use them, they wrote up a recent article on their use of the new two person EE just recently.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
I can see where a two person would be nice....and warm. And nice. And warm.
I had never heard of them until I found this site and am curious why that is. I would use one in mostly all above freezing temps or near freezing. But in climates with a lot of moisture...there in lies my concern. Mostly all would be in a tent though. That bivy shelter stuff is for August and not sideways rain and 80mph winds on kodiak.

dotman

WKR
I can see where a two person would be nice....and warm. And nice. And warm.
I had never heard of them until I found this site and am curious why that is. I would use one in mostly all above freezing temps or near freezing. But in climates with a lot of moisture...there in lies my concern. Mostly all would be in a tent though. That bivy shelter stuff is for August and not sideways rain and 80mph winds on kodiak.

That's because most hunting websites only talk hunting companies or well known companies. Checkout any ultralite backpackers forum and you'll find more, backpacking light has a bunch of info if I remember. To find some of the best gear you have to look outside of the main stream hunting forums, that's why you found it here :).

There are a few quilt mfg out there but EE is the only sight sponsor that has quilts I'm aware of and his products are top of the line with great customer service.

Also EE is a small US business that make their products in the US, another reason you probably haven't heard much.

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
That is true but back to the simple question, what is the difference between a quilt and a bag with the same materials? It's just that a quilt doesn't fully zip and enclose 100%. But, with proper usage, that difference is nominal.

dotman

WKR
In high moisture climates you may want the EE prodigy (synthetic version) but there are few WA guys here using his down quilts and they seem to not have an issue. Littlebuff that wrote up the review above is from WA.

I just got my EE from the mass drop sale and it is awesome. I hunt wa and went with the downtek. I have been using a reg down sleeping bag with no problems. It is long and wide and I can't wait to try it out. The thing is toasty indoors.