Quilts For Cold Weather?

Drenalin

WKR
I want to go overkill with the rating, but my wallet says otherwise. I appreciate your feedback, I’m thinking of maybe supplementing a lighter quilt with the puffy/ puffys I carry anyways. Just planning on a serious trip this year and don’t want to be miserable as I usually am in a mummy bag. How tough is the Xtherm, and do you carry a ground mat for it? I’ve read good reviews, but a buddy of mine says he’s gone through a few of them.
I used a 30 degree Katabatic quilt down to 16 this winter, supplemented with puffy pants and jacket. So it's doable, but it's not ideal. For me, it's generally not comfortable sleeping in a lot of clothes and I would wake up every couple of hours feeling like I needed to readjust. If you are going to try extending your quilt's temp rating, you'll want to be sure you're getting a comfort rated quilt - some manufacturers hand out pretty generous temp ratings.

Voyageur

WKR
I used a quilt last night, I have used them on and off for 10 -15 years, and slept in below 0 with a quilt, or with some sort of quilt combo. I also have used a lot of different sleeping bags and mummy bags.

I think a draft collar is worthwhile for a quilt or mummy bag , keeps the temp more consistent through out , other wise you shoulder can be cold, feet hot etc

I dont have any hate for a well done mummy bag , I am fed up with poorly executed bags that dont have smooth zippers, or dont breath well , or are too small. A well done bag (Western Mountaineering) , is what I use more often than anything and many times opened up like a quilt.

Personally, I think with quilts, you can get below 0 with them , but most people are happiest to go to a nice bag somewhere around freezing.
Excellent summary. Heartily agree.

They pack pretty small, especially in the provided compression sack, but not as small as down. My zero degree in the sack is around 11" long and maybe 7-8" diameter. You can open them all the way.
That's about the size my 0 packs down to

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

schmalzy

WKR
A good pad is critical.

I have tried a lot of quilts and hands-down prefer Katabatic over everything else. That's especially true when it comes to cold weather performance. Their conservative temp ratings, pad attachment system (locks away drafts) and draft collar are great. I have used my 22* Katabatic well below that rating.

Would you consider yourself a warm sleeper?

Just ordered a 15 degree Katabatic flex and now I’m wondering if I’ll be too warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I have a viam outdoors 0 degree quilt and it kept me toasty at -15. I will never ever ever ever go back go back to a sleeping bag. I’m a rodeo style side sleeper and sleeping bags don’t work for me. My only issue was a little cold air got in at my feet and a draft collar would have fixed that. Did I mention I will never ever go back to a sleeping bag? If you are on the fence you should give one a try but remember sleeping pads are important and so are the pads that connect the quilt to the pad.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Would you consider yourself a warm sleeper?

Just ordered a 15 degree Katabatic flex and now I’m wondering if I’ll be too warm.
Not necessarily.

I have found that there are a LOT of variables that get left out of the discussion (especially when the focus is on gear) that have to do with warmth/cold while sleeping. Things like hydration/dehydration, relative humidity and thermal effects (not just air temp), etc, etc.

schmalzy

WKR
Not necessarily.

I have found that there are a LOT of variables that get left out of the discussion (especially when the focus is on gear) that have to do with warmth/cold while sleeping. Things like hydration/dehydration, relative humidity and thermal effects (not just air temp), etc, etc.

Agreed. Thanks for feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Quilts require a little thought and technique to do right. My little foray into quilt land told me that I prefer quilts / blankets down to about 30* and a mummy when it is really cold. To each their own.

FWIW I wonder if anyone ever built a quit that had an uninsulated bottom with a poket to hold a sleeping pad. Seems like that would be he best of all worlds for saving weight and limiting drafts.
Pretty much sounds like a Zen Bivy setup

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
What's the consensus on what to do with the footbox? Do you slide the sleeping pad inside?
I don't. At least on the Katabatic I use, when I cinch up the footbox there's enough room for my feet but not nearly enough room for my pad too. Maybe could leave it looser, but with that zip and cinch footbox it's too big of a hole at the bottom to effectively plug for the night unless it's cinched about all the way down.

What's the consensus on what to do with the footbox? Do you slide the sleeping pad inside?

Nope. Just let your dawgs rest inside. Some people wear down booties too but I have never needed em. A pair of shorty wool socks is ideal. My -10* custom Conundrum has a thick collar and overfilled to 950. I'm a big guy with a UL9 LW EXPED mat under my quilt. Checks all my boxes.

BBob

WKR
I wonder if anyone ever built a quit that had an uninsulated bottom with a poket to hold a sleeping pad.
Big Agnes made their bags like this for many years. If I'm not mistaken all of their original bags were made this way, it was their marketing point. I still have a 40° Horsethief that got tons of use over the years.

OP
KLWild

KLWild

FNG
Well defined questions get the best well defined answers.

How are you defining COLD?

JL
Well the trip that I am planning for is know for extremely variable weather, and when talking about a could weather situation, in my specific case, I would be expecting near 0*- 20* F temps at night. This will be in a floorless shelter with a lightweight wood stove, most likely snow on the ground.

mlgc20

WKR
You don't want to slide the pad inside. It will wear out the footbox of the quilt very quickly. Best to keep the footbox off the ground/tent floor.

Adam S

FNG
I have a 0deg enlightened equipment bag and the thermarest xtherm pad. The pad has the highest R value I can find. I’ve hunted from Alaska to late season Montana and Colorado with that combo and I haven’t gotten cold yet.

GotDraw?

WKR
Interesting article on how R ratings are going up without anything being changed on the pads being rated. I use a matt with an R rating of 6 regardless of season. Never cooked by it and never froze either.

Everyone get a trophy... all pads get high R Value now.
JL