Quilt + Woobie?

Let me start by saying that I've been using a quilt for 3+ years now and love it. I tend to move around a lot and have always disliked the restrictiveness of a bag. I currently use a 10 degree EE down quilt and an R-value 7 sleeping pad. Most of the areas I hunt are pretty dry so I am not concerned about the down getting wet. With this setup, I have slept down to 20 degrees with clothes on, and stuff any remaining clothes inside the quilt or around the sides of the pad to prevent any drafts. I love my quilt system so much that I wanted to experiment and see if I could extend this a few more degrees.

I just picked up a Kifaru Woobie through their recent sale and am interested in combo-ing the woobie with the quilt. Has anyone else tried this before? Do you wrap yourself in the woobie then get under the quilt, or do you run the woobie on top of the quilt?

My shoulders and upper back seem to be the coldest parts on my body and I really have to cinch down the elastic snaps on the quilt to stop cold drafts from getting in. My initial thought is that I would run wrap myself in the woobie (specifically making sure that my shoulders/neck are covered, then get underneath the quilt.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I've used my Kifaru Woobie over my quilt. due to strapping quilt to sleep pad. Add paracord to woobie loops to create a way to secure or semi-close the woobie around quilt. Paracord stays on my woobie.
Does help to sleep a bit warmer, cuts out any drafting on the backside when side sleeping. Especially in floorless tent. But use this combination only when camping close to vehicle. Used a woobie around a sleeping bag on a cot too.

In backcountry if extra warmth needed, take my down 0-deg bag only & Borah bivy cover for bug/bag protection. Floorless Tut shelter, Tyvek ground cover on sleeping half of the floorless area, then Gossamer foam pad under Borah cover/airpad/sleeping bag for non-slip & ground protection.
The woobie is bulky packed up in its built in stuff sack, so defeats the purpose of weight & space saving quilt when weight/bulk of both added to pack.

Drenalin

WKR
I tried the Woobie outside and inside of a quilt on a camping trip a few weeks ago. First night was on the outside and I kept losing the Woobie through the night. If you can secure it in place, I still think that's the right way to layer it. The second night I brought it inside the quilt with me. Stayed warm that night, but I'd be concerned about compressing the insulation keeping something as big as a Woobie inside the quilt with me if temps were very cold.

I'm thinking of getting a lightweight quilt (like a Revelation) in something like a 40 or 50 degree rating to layer over my regular quilt. Last time I looked into this, I think the Revelation was 12 or 13 ounces, versus basically 2 pounds for the Woobie. That with a good down quilt would put me around the same weight as a Woobie by itself. I'm still going to keep the Woobie for car camping in mild temps, around the house, and for the kids to use. But I won't carry it on a backpacking trip due to weight and bulk.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
EE makes a set of pad straps so you can add an additional quilt on top of your 10 degree. I have the 10 degree down EE and a 40 degree synthetic APEX. Supposedly I can get a 20 below rating. We just dont get that cold in South Texas to try out.

cronsman

WKR
Same as above, I use my woobie in my car for car camping and I put the woobie over my quilt. It is nice an toasty when its quite cold

Payback

FNG
Old thread, I know but through I could add a bit of my experiences that maybe someone could find useful.

I took my Woobie as part of a layering system last year and temps got down into the single digits. I found that putting the Kifaru woobie over my 20* down bag compressed the down just enough that it basically was like it wasn’t there at all. However, if I stuffed the woobie INSIDE the down bag, I was significantly warmer. The woobie definitely moved around a lot and I would wake up cold. But after moving it back into place I would warm up pretty quick.

Let me start by saying that I've been using a quilt for 3+ years now and love it. I tend to move around a lot and have always disliked the restrictiveness of a bag. I currently use a 10 degree EE down quilt and an R-value 7 sleeping pad. Most of the areas I hunt are pretty dry so I am not concerned about the down getting wet. With this setup, I have slept down to 20 degrees with clothes on, and stuff any remaining clothes inside the quilt or around the sides of the pad to prevent any drafts. I love my quilt system so much that I wanted to experiment and see if I could extend this a few more degrees.

I just picked up a Kifaru Woobie through their recent sale and am interested in combo-ing the woobie with the quilt. Has anyone else tried this before? Do you wrap yourself in the woobie then get under the quilt, or do you run the woobie on top of the quilt?

My shoulders and upper back seem to be the coldest parts on my body and I really have to cinch down the elastic snaps on the quilt to stop cold drafts from getting in. My initial thought is that I would run wrap myself in the woobie (specifically making sure that my shoulders/neck are covered, then get underneath the quilt.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.
Would wearing it like a poncho work well?

So it's under your back and shoulders,
Around shoulders and neck,
Over shoulders and chest ?

That way your core is insulated the most.

OP
spacemonkey
Would wearing it like a poncho work well?

So it's under your back and shoulders,
Around shoulders and neck,
Over shoulders and chest ?

That way your core is insulated the most.
It probably would, yeah. The woobie has multiple paracord loops around the perimeter, I am going to experiment with some paracord and see if I can find a comfy setup to layer/secure it underneath a quilt.

I'll be in the eastern sierras in late October, early November and there's a good chance the temps will be in the teens overnight. Will report back with my findings, thanks for all the suggestions

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

While I have a Doobie, Woobie and several EE quilts, I never needed to layer in a quilt. I prefer to add mitts and a Hoodlum, makes a world of difference on those icier nights. That said, placing a Woobie inside a WM sleeping bag saved my bacon in the past before I switched to quilts.