Quietest Deer Caliber, Rifle, Suppressor Combo

I am looking for the quietest rifle sufficient for deer hunting primarily. I have some ear issues. I am extremely sensitive to loud noises but do not want to completely quit rifle hunting. Currently, 2-3 shots from my Winchester model 70 in .243 (no suppressor) while wearing ear plugs AND ear muffs will give me ear pain and possibly ringing for a few days. I also have a Rugger 77 in .280 that I quit shooting because its louder.

The rifle would mainly be for deer hunting, up to 300 yards, and weight is not a big factor. I also would like to hunt elk later, but can get a different rifle for that too.

1. What is everyone suggestion for a quiet caliber for deer? Looking into a 6.5 Creedmore or another .243. Hoping not to go much smaller than .243, but I'm open to it if the noise reduction would be significant.

2. Same for the rifle model, barrel length, weight, etc. if those affect the loudness of the shot?

3. Am I able to put a suppressor on my current rifles? They have what I consider a sporting barrel. the one shop I talked to did not think there was enough barrel to thread.

*I am under the care of an ENT and my symptoms are most similar to secondary hydrops, but we don't think that is my diagnosis.

Thanks!

If you got a suppressor for the .243 it would be quiet I got a Thunderbeast and on a .243. I shoot it without ear plugs and it doesn’t hurt my ears

ljalberta

WKR
Suppressed .223. Hard to go wrong with a Tikka. Can’t speak to what suppressor specifically as we’re not allowed in Canada to wield such dangerous items.

wesfromky

WKR
The 300 yards and elk are the edge cases. If not those, 300blk or 350 legend with the right silencer would be hard to beat.

If those are hard requirements, I would think a longer barreled .308 with one of the bigger cans, like DeadAir Nomand L or LT.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
.300 blackout bolt action rifle shooting subs.

Nothing else comes close, unless it’s another bolt gun shooting subs

For 300 yard animals?

I am looking for the quietest rifle sufficient for deer hunting primarily. I have some ear issues. I am extremely sensitive to loud noises but do not want to completely quit rifle hunting. Currently, 2-3 shots from my Winchester model 70 in .243 (no suppressor) while wearing ear plugs AND ear muffs will give me ear pain and possibly ringing for a few days. I also have a Rugger 77 in .280 that I quit shooting because its louder.

The rifle would mainly be for deer hunting, up to 300 yards, and weight is not a big factor. I also would like to hunt elk later, but can get a different rifle for that too.

1. What is everyone suggestion for a quiet caliber for deer? Looking into a 6.5 Creedmore or another .243. Hoping not to go much smaller than .243, but I'm open to it if the noise reduction would be significant.

2. Same for the rifle model, barrel length, weight, etc. if those affect the loudness of the shot?

3. Am I able to put a suppressor on my current rifles? They have what I consider a sporting barrel. the one shop I talked to did not think there was enough barrel to thread.

*I am under the care of an ENT and my symptoms are most similar to secondary hydrops, but we don't think that is my diagnosis.

Thanks!

You absolutely can get your current rifles threaded for a suppressor. 243 is fine. Use a full length can such as a Hyperion 7.62, TBAC Ultra 9, etc; and cut your barrel to 18”. It will be truly hearing safe and be just fine we’ll past 300 yards even for elk.

Hydro557

FNG
.300 blackout bolt action rifle shooting subs.

Nothing else comes close, unless it’s another bolt gun shooting subs
Would need to use supers. Still relatively quiet, but you're just gonna deal with supersonic Crack.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Like others said, suppressors are great but do nothing for supersonic crack of the bullet. You still need hearing pro when using them even in calibers like .223. You might want to look into something subsonic. Mates using them and the only thing you hear is a soft puff and steel ringing on the target. Sounds like a car door closing at most.

6.5x284

WKR
I'll be building an 8.6 blackout one of these days for hunting with subsonic ammo specifically. Should be a killer bolt gun sound wise and plenty of great bullets for a few hundred yards I would think.

BjornF16

WKR
Suppressed .223. Hard to go wrong with a Tikka.
This is the way.

Reference the .223 on big game thread:

Otherwise just thread your current .243 rifle and add suppressor.

Rich M

WKR
The only exposure i had w supressors was a guy at a private range i go to.

He had some kind of semi - all you could hear was the slide. He fired 15 or so rounds rapid fire and it was like someone working the slide.

He also had a 6.5 w supressor. We were shooting it (1 hole gun at 225) without hearing protection, you didnt need it. We were talking while his wife and kid were shooting quarters and nickels at 100-200 yards. Yes, these were supersonic bullets but not loud.

I was impressed.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw