Questions for Stone Glacier Owners out there. Need help with mine.

hflier

WKR
I have a SG Solo and I just sold my 5100 bag on my second pack to get a Sky Archer bag. I love the packs and they worked great for me over the last couple of months. Kurt's customer service is incredible. Recently though, I have upped my training weight to 70 lbs and I have had a few issues which I am trying to work through. When I increased my pack weight I need to bear down on the belt a pretty hard and the belt pulls go sideways on me. Kurt is sending me a fix involving Velcro for this problem. Does anyone have a picture of how this fix looks? I wish I could go without them, but I can't seem to on any of my packs.

That brings me to a second question. Although I have been working hard to get my middle section circumference smaller than my hip circumference, I have several more months of training to do so (ain't so easy at 52).. I have a flat back and the hip circumference dimension is a few inches smaller than my middle section. It seems getting my belt to not slide down under heavy weight is a problem. I know I will get razzed about just get the diet going, I am. I am not a pudge just about 15-20 lbs. up from where I should be. But because I can not get my pack waist belt to ride right I am having trouble training as hard as I want. Anyone have any ideas?

Just a side note I consider these to be my personal fit issues and not in anyway related to the pack. The SG pack is one fine product.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,

The new hip belt pulls will fix your problem. I had the same deal. They are the same product but with a Velcro pad that securely velcros on the back of the frame behind the lumbar pad where the belt itself is secured. I can post pictures if needed.

I added about 1/4" of dense foam to my lumbar pad not because I have A flat back but because I like more lumbar and Don't have much of a butt. Maybe the same would work for you!

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Ron,

The new hip belt pulls will fix your problem. I had the same deal. They are the same product but with a Velcro pad that securely velcros on the back of the frame behind the lumbar pad where the belt itself is secured. I can post pictures if needed.

I added about 1/4" of dense foam to my lumbar pad not because I have A flat back but because I like more lumbar and Don't have much of a butt. Maybe the same would work for you!

GibsonKuenzi, thanks for that info!

Ron

Ron,

I'm kind of curious as to what the look like. A couple weeks ago I purchased the belt pulls and mine don't have any Velcro on them.

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Kurt also told me that there would be another version of the belt pulls coming out soon that had a stiffer nylon webbing. I don't know if it will also still have the Velcro or not.

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
I just realized that the Velcro solution is not for my issue. My belt pulls loops are flipping sideways. It is not that the entire pull is moving. I think the stiffer pulls is my fix and not the Velcro. Dang it.

jmez

WKR
The velcro will fix your issue. I attached mine so that the pulls are behind the tri slide buckle on the belt. You put them there and you will be able to pinch yourself in half without them flipping.

I can post a pic later tonight if you want me to.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, I'm going to have to see a pic. Is this velcro thing something that would have to be pulled apart to take the pack off, or put it on, or adjust in the field? Wouldn't like that. Too much noise.

jmez

WKR
The velcro we are talking about is a different strap. It looks like the power pull strap you currently have only longer and has velcro on the non buckle end. The velcro portion goes all the way to the back of the waist belt where the belt joins the pack. They run under the nylon strap that goes over the padded portion of the belt. They are long enough you can place the power pull buckle between the main buckle and tri slide. I put mine behind the trislide as I think it is more secure and works better. Two picks below. in the first the belt end is under the power pull as you would use it. In the second pic i pulled then belt end out so you can see where the power pull buckle is.

IMG_20150107_212509_210_zps79c517bb.jpg

IMG_20150107_212529_564_zpscdee21be.jpg

Once it is on and set you don't have to touch it again. No noise no problems.

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The above has been my experience as well. Original pulls do not work so well for us smaller waist guys. The new velcro ones did the trick and work great. Would like see an integrated version, but they do work so I am good to go.

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
My pulls came in the mail. I need to see how they work. Post an update soon. Mine do not say FHF on them. I have to go look at my pack in the truck and see if figure it out quick. The pictures help some thanks.

My waist was too small to use the power pulls, so would the velcro tabs be of any use? I haven't noticed the belt slipping or moving on me, but I haven't done a ton of miles with major huge loads. With 50 pounds over 80 miles, the pack seemed to ride fine and the belt stayed in place pretty good.

jmez

WKR
Yes you could use them if you put them behind the trislide buckle like I did. If it is working well the way it is I would just leave it.

Thanks jmez, I'll load more weight this spring and hike with it to see if it still stays put. I've carried up to 120 in it, but no real distance hikes with that weight.