Question on WY NR License Types

cshire

FNG
So no luck on WY elk draw this year.
Had a successful pronghorn hunt near Buffalo last year.
Debating on doing Pronghorn again or trying for mule deer.

I want to make sure I am understanding the General vs. Limited licenses.

WY Deer.jpg

So I can apply for a General License, quota of 550 and then I can hunt on NF lands Oct1 to Oct 25, and off the NF 11/1 to 11/5.
The Limited License has a quota of only 25 and season dates after the General License (after the area has already been hunted by 550 guys for 3 weeks) and restricted to area 105 vs. all of region F.

If the Gen License lets me hunt anywhere in F, what are the advantages of the Limited?
I must be missing something here.

The Type 1 is only valid for Nov1-15 and is VERY hard tag to draw because it is a migration based hunt valid in a few of the areas inside of Region F.

The General Region F tag is valid as described in certain sections but ends on Nov 5. The hunters who drew the type 1 get to hunt there afterwards.

Advantage is the dates. Also the 550 guys are going to be spread out between the two season of general through out the entire F region.

The limit hunt in Nov. is a NOV Mule Deer hunt probably based on migration. So more deer will move in or down and limiting the pressure when deer are rutting is the goal.

OK - got it. The big advantage of the limited tag is the migration traffic. That makes sense.

The region F general tag appears to have decent draw odds. Is the region F general tag still a decent tag? are there some huntable resident deer?
Just looking for a first mule deer hunt - no trophies needed.

Also looking at M and X as possibles with decent draw odds.

Most of region F is wilderness so as a NR you'll be extremely limited in the areas you can hunt.

Paired up with 95% of the mule deer traffic being weather/seasonal migration, hunting in thick bear country and again, you're not able to get to a lot of the places because of WY NR wilderness restrictions, it's not a super attractive unit to hunt. But that's why the odds aren't bad!

Back