Question on BOMB bags, dry sack, and kifaru DT2

KMT

WKR
I see that people are using a variety of options for packing out meat. I prefer to carry it in the main compartment of my pack.

I have a kifaru DT2. I'm getting ready to order the BOMB kit with the 6 bags. If using a dry sack to enclose the BOMB bags which are filled with bones out meat, which size of dry sack would work best (35L or 55L)? Also, would an ultra light dry sack work since everything will be inside the pack anyway or should I use a heavier dry sack?

My original thought was to use a kifaru meat Baggie, but I want to be 99.99% confident that no blood will leak into the pack during my pack out.

Thank for any help.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I see that people are using a variety of options for packing out meat. I prefer to carry it in the main compartment of my pack.

I have a kifaru DT2. I'm getting ready to order the BOMB kit with the 6 bags. If using a dry sack to enclose the BOMB bags which are filled with bones out meat, which size of dry sack would work best (35L or 55L)? Also, would an ultra light dry sack work since everything will be inside the pack anyway or should I use a heavier dry sack?

My original thought was to use a kifaru meat Baggie, but I want to be 99.99% confident that no blood will leak into the pack during my pack out.

Thank for any help.

The last couple years I've used the outdoor research dry bags. I have used both the 35L and 55L sizes. Generally the 35L is more than enough space as 55L full of meat is a LOT of weight and I'd rather move around 2 35L bags then one big on. I switched to these a couple years ago cause the trash compactor bags I was using were nearly as heavy, not reuseable, and like all trash bags leaked eventually out the bottom. The dry bags can be had from anywhere from $7-$10 if you shop around and worth the extra few oz IMO to minimize blood leakage if I can help it. Much happier with them. That said don't fit 60 pounds of goat meat into on and then slam it down on the elevator floor in a hotel....the seams WILL break, don't ask me how I know ;)

OP
K

KMT

WKR
Thanks for the great info. I have been using trash bags for over 10 years, and 90% of the time I get the dreaded leakage. I guess that I'm not careful enough when loading the pack. The 2-35s sound like a great idea. I should be able to put 100 pounds of elk meat into two of those bags.. I appreciate it.