Question: Horn Hunter Pack

treestand

FNG
Has anyone used the Horn Hunter full Curl System? It looks to be a great setup, just need some first hand reviews to be sure.

Thanks all!

Has anyone used the Horn Hunter full Curl System? It looks to be a great setup, just need some first hand reviews to be sure.

Thanks all!

I purchased one last summer for my archery elk hunt. It is a very funcitional pack with some great feutures. I found the load lifters to be very functional and overall the load carried good. The only complaint I had was with the waist belt. It sounds like they have made some changes to the 2015 line up that would definetly maket them worth a serious look.

Kotaman

WKR

Thanks all!

For a production pack in its price range, it is a "decent" system for the money. You could spend a little more and get a lot better in the KUIU Icon Pro series or an ExoMountain 3500 or save your pennies for a more semi custom pack that will last you a lifetime. (Stone Glacier, Kifaru or Mystery Ranch). If money is a huge issue, I'd look at KUIU. Hard to beat their packs for the money.

OP
T

treestand

FNG
Kotaman, Thanks for the suggestion- just looked at the 3200, but don't see that it has a meat shelf. Can you pack out elk quarters with it?

Kotaman

WKR
I packed a whole caribou in a 5200, including cape and horns. Their load shelf uses a "wedge method". You leave the bottom of the pack snug, making a "V" or wedge. I'm more of an "in the bag" kind of guy and rarely use a meat shelf, but I'm usually carrying a 7000 ci pack.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I purchased one last summer for my archery elk hunt. It is a very funcitional pack with some great feutures. I found the load lifters to be very functional and overall the load carried good. The only complaint I had was with the waist belt. It sounds like they have made some changes to the 2015 line up that would definetly maket them worth a serious look.

I felt the same way. The belt just didnt work for me. Otherwise the pack though not as durable as some of the top end packs was very functional and well thought out. Good to hear they are making some changes. It has good potential. I used one on a 3 day backpacking trip and the belt drove me nuts.

I had the '14 model and it was great for the price point. At $300 you get a frame hauler, day pack, and camp bag. The fit for me was great and I didn't mind the belt at all. Carried 40-100# very well. Sold it when I bought my first Kifaru pack and have often thought of picking another up for a training or loaner pack. The '15 model is supposed to have some improvements but I'm not sure what they are.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted for the money the full curl is a very functional pack. I've worn it exclusively for elk shed hunting the last several years and have put it through the ringer. Pluses very comfortable with loads up to 60 ish pds, can't comment above that as just have not carried more. The design works well with the shelf for loading sheds and plenty of stash pockets for various items. Only downside has been durability of the belt pockets as brush and abuse worn holes on both sides, but used the warranty this winter and they replaced the pockets and liner that had wear hole as well for no cost. If looking for a pack in this price range it will get it done.

ElwoodUT

FNG
Horn Hunter

Treestand,
Horn Hunter has been improving the Full Curl every year. I have my new 2015 model on order right now. This years pack has the new Adjustable Torso System to make sure you get a perfect fit and a few other upgrades. As mentioned before they have an excellent warranty and will always stand behind their products.
If you buy the Full Curl System then you will have 5000 cu/in which for me works perfect for a 5 day hunt and could probably streach it to 7. If you buy the Full Curl Combo then you will get the Frame and the daypack. There are some people that just buy the Combo and then use a light duffle bag in place of the Full Curl Bag but in my opinion you might as well get the complete system since it will be covered by a lifetime warranty so even if you give it to your son in 10 years he will still be covered.
I have been extremely happy with everything that I own from Horn Hunter and wouldnt ever hesitate to buy more of their products. If you have any specific questions about the pack feel free to ask. I have put a lot of miles on the Full Curl System and haven't had a single issue.

jwatts

WKR
I had one of the first generation Full Curl Combos from 2012. The only complaint I had was the lack of torso length adjustment. It was a hair too long for me. That has since been taken care of on the newer models. Other than that it was a great pack. They are very well built. I like the amount of various pockets on the hip belt and daypack. The meat shelf and meat bag were a nice addition when carrying a load. For the price they are hard to beat.