Question for the Colorado guys

Ehunter56

FNG
Never been to Colorado before, but just got offered some sizeable land to hunt around Greeley CO. Can anyone familiar with that area tell me what I might be able to run across? I appreciate the help!

OP
Ehunter56

Ehunter56

FNG
Lol Thanks for the reply. I know this guy has some crops on the land, but also hit oil on it. Didn't know if there were any mulies, whitetail, or even antelope in that area worth chasing. Figured it was a bit far from anything hilly to see elk.....

Just to the north is decent prairie dogs and there are pronghorn and mulies in some places. PM me the location and I could give you an idea. Prairie dog towns are easy to spot in aerial imagery (satellite view).

puckhead

FNG
I spend a fair amount of time out that way. Good chance of seeing antelope. Either species of deer could be there. I usually only see deer on properties with water and trees, the S Platte runs through there and is the only source of water large enough to sustain large groupings of trees. If it has water and trees, or is adjacent to a property that does, you have a good chance of seeing deer and turkey. Doubt they'll be big deer from what I've seen.

OP
Ehunter56

Ehunter56

FNG
Well, for what I was hoping for, it sounds like pretty much of a bust. lol Still might be worth getting an exact address and hitting Google Earth for a peek. About a 10 hour drive from here, so was just trying to get some info before I made a scouting trip out there. Thanks for the replies guys!

There is some nice land around Greeley so it honestly just depends on which property it is. Some of those ranches are large and span the gamut. Turkey, pronghorn, mulies, whitetails, and other small game and waterfowl. Seen some bruisers out there when I was working the patch.

OP
Ehunter56

Ehunter56

FNG
Thanks for the input. Now it peaks my interest a bit more again. The guy that owns it lives here in KS, and only goes out there a couple times a year, but he's not a hunter. He's not much help on anything hunting, other than offering land. lol

intunegp

WKR
Whitetail, mulies, turkey, and maybe some pronghorn depending on how far east it is. Almost everything over there is private so guys talking about small bucks are just talking about what you can see from the road or oilfield. I know a guy that guides on a ranch just east of there and they kill some bruiser bucks year after year. As others have said if there is water it might be worth checking out, if not whatever is there will just be passing through. Might have to be archery/muzzleloader only if you're within city limits.