Question for slider guys

vcb

WKR
So I'm shooting a 5 pin slider. I have created my tape. My last pin with the slider in my index location is 60yds. I am going to use my last pin for my slider pin. However should I start my tape at 50......then I have 10 yds prior to my last pin that I can dial back for The gaps in my 20,30,40 and fifty pins? Example if my first pin is 20 and I wanted to shoot 25 I could set my tape at 65 right?

Not how those tapes work. The gap of your 20-30 likely isn't substantial, so I'd just hold a bit high with your 20 pin. However, your gap from 50-60 could be harder to judge, and if you want to be able to shoot exactly 51-59 yards and you've got room to slide to those gaps, go for it. Makes sense to me.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good idea, but it wouldn't work. The gap grows between each set of pins, so your 60 at 65 yards will put your 20 pin probably at 30. You are better off just gapping the off yardages between the two closest pins and just moving your slider when out past 60.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also if you want to use the slider at 50 -59, just shoot a 4 pin and make your last pin 50 and use that as a slider. If you try and get to fancy, there is a chance you screw it up in the field when it is crunch time. Use the KISS principle.....

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
I thought about that. I have a 5 pin tommy and I thought about taking the last pin out and making it a 4 pin slider. Then like Doug said I would not have to try and gap 50-59?????

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
VCB, if you think that you are most likely to shoot under 50, 4 pin is fine. The down side is your slider will not reach out as far on the far end as you are starting with a higher slider pin. Your pin housing is still going to bottom out at a certain distance and if you have no 60 and use 50 it will be that much of a difference, probably around 6-8 yards.

Craig4791

WKR
I will be shooting a four pin slider this year. Haven't got to sight it in yet but the reasons above are why i chose a 4 pin and for the clear sight picture. Also i figure if i had a quick shot opportunity i could just hold over for a 50 to 60 yard shot.

c5mrr270

WKR
Once you have your tape on you could still dial your 60 pin back to 50 yards if you wanted. Just have to make sure and remember where its at.

I feel it entirely depends on the hunting you'll be doing. I'm not snap shooting 60 yards on a gut feeling for distance. And I generally hope to be able to range distance to certain land marks before an encounter. That being said, the drop from 20-30 yards on an elk vital isn't much, so I chose to forego my 20 giving me 30, 40, 50 yard pins and adjustment beyond 50. For whitetail, I reset to 20, 30, 40 because most of my opportunities are less than 30 yards. IMO the more fixed pins you add to a slider the less reason you have for hunting with that sight. You're trying to reduce clutter, not build a sight that has a pin for every 10 yards from 10-80 and then have the slider for just in case scenarios past these rather long distances.

IAHNTR

WKR
I just hunt whitetails in Iowa. I run a HHA 1 pin slider. I set it around 25 and after practicing enough your hold over/under is just instinct. Just like casting a fishing pole. After awhile you just know how hard you need to whip the rod and when to let the line free.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
I have my top pin as my slider and can dial from 20 to 105 and still have clearance. With that said, my loop to peep distance is pretty high compared to some. If you are only going to use the slider from 60 to X it kind of defeats the purpose of a slider for ME personally. If I have an animal at 46 yards bedded I want to be able to dial into that precise distance not have to gap. I rarely shoot past 60 in a hunting situation unless it is a follow up shot.

If you like having the bottom pin, lets assume 60 yard pin, as your slider and want to be able to dial to a yardage less than 60 just make sure you have some room for adjustment both directions from zero and as c5mrr270 said you can still make your tape from 40 to X and slide back to 40 yards if necessary. You just want to make sure your zero is always at 60 when you are shooting your fixed set up.

In the future I think I am going to use my 40 as my slider because I hone better with it for some reason. I will then set my tape from 40 to X because I don't mind gapping under 40.

Just remember, as soon as you move that dial, all of your other pins mean nothing now. The only one that will be accurate is the pin designated as your slider.

Matt

SDHNTR

WKR
I'm with Palmquist here. I have a 5 pin Tommy and like to use my last pin as the slider, but I also do like having the ability to dial it up as well as down. I took a 12 pack off a buddy just the other day with a 47 yard shot that I 12 ringed. I think being able to hold pin on helps. I doubt I would dial up much during hunting situations, but it's kinda nice for target and 3d.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have always used my bottom pin as it generally has a larger gap between the the pin above and nothing below it. This creates a larger filed of view to see around the pin and find the animal. At the longer the distances, the field of view helps locate the animal without being obstructed by my other pins. My 20 and 30 are pretty close together and I didn't want it to obstruct what I am looking at. I also shoot all my tournaments with a fixed five pin sight (BHFS Class) so I personally am very comfortable gapping any of the in between distances between my pins. Those are the reasons I don't dial below 60, but I think everyones hunting style, their max distance and the type of animals they generally hunt will dictate their own slider set ups.

I have always used my bottom pin as it generally has a larger gap between the the pin above and nothing below it. This creates a larger filed of view to see around the pin and find the animal. At the longer the distances, the field of view helps locate the animal without being obstructed by my other pins. My 20 and 30 are pretty close together and I didn't want it to obstruct what I am looking at. I also shoot all my tournaments with a fixed five pin sight (BHFS Class) so I personally am very comfortable gapping any of the in between distances between my pins. Those are the reasons I don't dial below 60, but I think everyones hunting style, their max distance and the type of animals they generally hunt will dictate their own slider set ups.

Totally agree.

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
Thanks for all the info. A bit of a learning curve to set up the tape but the Tapes program helped tons. I totally agree with Hurricane. I normally have my first pin at 30....I didn't care about being 2.5" high when shooting 20yds at an elk. But I just set this up with my first pin at 20 because turkey season is coming!! Picture of my first tape! Just when you think you know a lot about archery you start all over again:)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 20
Hurricane hit the nail on the head.

I run my indicator on my last pins yds and cut it off there so I don't touch it unless I am shooting farther than I have pins.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman