Quepos Costa Rica Fishing

Family and I are heading down to Costa Rica next January and we are planning on staying around Quepos for half of our trip. Ever since i was a youngin i have wanted to catch a rooster fish and this will be the trip that i hope to make that happen. Does anyone have any experience with the fishing charters in Quepos? Seems like they mostly just do private charters unlike the charters up here in AK which is totally fine with me. Seems like i can get a full day inshore trip for anywhere from 700 to 1200 for the day. Thanks for any insight!

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I've fished out of Herradura Beach. I can't imagine its much different in Quepos.

The local guys will tell you what you want to hear and just do whatever.

I think there's value in spending more for an organized outfit but even then they may just be using revolving subs so I'd say reputation is everything.

We caught a bunch of mahi and didn't spend any time on structure.

The Pacific Ocean is awesome in this part of the world.

mulecreek

FNG
Family and I are heading down to Costa Rica next January and we are planning on staying around Quepos for half of our trip. Ever since i was a youngin i have wanted to catch a rooster fish and this will be the trip that i hope to make that happen. Does anyone have any experience with the fishing charters in Quepos? Seems like they mostly just do private charters unlike the charters up here in AK which is totally fine with me. Seems like i can get a full day inshore trip for anywhere from 700 to 1200 for the day. Thanks for any insight!
Funny you should ask. My family is headed to Quepos this Friday. Have a charter booked for full day inshore. others in our group have offshore booked. I'll let you know how it goes for us.

Please let us know how it goes. Headed to Jaco at the end of June and playing around with doing a day of fishing. Thanks and good luck!

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
Was there January 2023. 4 days offshore one day in shore.

If I had to do it over would not waste my time inshore, caught 4 marlin, 13 sails. Mahi where a nuisance catch. Got in the way of catching Bill fish.

Saw huge schools of Dolphin (mammal), Manta Rays 14+ sail fish just swimming around. Some of the best fishing I’ve even done. The ocean is flat calm for those that get queasy.

We’d keep 3 Mahi to eat at night, every restaurant will cook your catch, $10 or there about. We’d have them cook a big plate of dolphin fingers (like chix finger). Then we’d invite people around us to have some. Met all kinds of people from all over.

Need to eat one night at Mariposa, sunsets at dinner are incredible.

DM for any questions.

Jaker_cc

WKR
John with Quepos fish adventure I believe is who we fished with when we went. We spent 3 days offshore and its was all you wanted tuna. Sails, Marlin, and mahi. Never ventured inshore but they have a world record rooster fish that’s a pet at the marina in Quepos. Probably 100lb fish just under the dock boards.

It’s an incredible place to fish.

Mariposa for dinner on the back deck is a must do. Absolutely must do.

OP
kwackkillncrew
Was there January 2023. 4 days offshore one day in shore.

If I had to do it over would not waste my time inshore, caught 4 marlin, 13 sails. Mahi where a nuisance catch. Got in the way of catching Bill fish.

Saw huge schools of Dolphin (mammal), Manta Rays 14+ sail fish just swimming around. Some of the best fishing I’ve even done. The ocean is flat calm for those that get queasy.

We’d keep 3 Mahi to eat at night, every restaurant will cook your catch, $10 or there about. We’d have them cook a big plate of dolphin fingers (like chix finger). Then we’d invite people around us to have some. Met all kinds of people from all over.

Need to eat one night at Mariposa, sunsets at dinner are incredible.

DM for any questions.
The rooster fish hang out inshore dont they? Offshore trip sounds pretty awesome though and mahi tacos do sound pretty damn good.

Legend

WKR
Anybody have insight on how the offshore fishing is around Christmas? (Sorry op for the distraction)

sjwfarms

WKR
Inshore (rooster fish) and offshore both great that time of year and pretty calm. Spent a few days offshore last June (Jaco), while we got in to the yellowfin way offshore, the seas were brutal if that's an issue. again, not usually an issue in Jan.

Don't have a specific charter but yes, mostly private and your price seems in-line +added tips. Def try to book in advance if possible.

OP
kwackkillncrew
Anybody have insight on how the offshore fishing is around Christmas? (Sorry op for the distraction)
no distraction. its roughly the same time period. if you were asking about july i would be pist....just joking. That other forum that was mentioned has alot of good info as well. Once out flights are booked i will be booking the trip and from the sounds of it, it will probably be with quepos fishing adventure. Seems like they get alot of good reviews and the owner is a sponsor and posts on that other forum.

The peak marlin bite in that area from Quepos to Jaco runs from January to April. It's kind of blasphemy to go down there during that timeframe and not troll offshore for billfish. Would be like going to Alaska during the king salmon run and only wanting to catch a grayling. If it's really rough and windy maybe go do the inshore thing for a rooster as a backup plan.

mulecreek

FNG
Funny you should ask. My family is headed to Quepos this Friday. Have a charter booked for full day inshore. others in our group have offshore booked. I'll let you know how it goes for us.
This will go into my little book of "Sh!t To Never Do Again". Sucked! No fish caught. No bites. Others that did offshore caught tuna, sailfish and a couple of small dorado. They enjoyed their offshore trips but hated their inshore just as we did. Their description of their offshore sounded lame to me but to each their own.

Rich M

WKR
I was gonna say to check and see if that's a good time for rooster fish. I know some guys who went to CR for rooster fish and went during the off-season for the fish. Wasn't the best plan, 1 guy got a 16 inch rooster.

Folks go and get skunked. You don't hear those stories often cause not everyone catches fish.

Bottom line is do your homework on where and when. Then schedule your trip around the fishing if that is important to you.

Second most important is to have a good attitude.

Third - The better the boat captain, the better your odds at catching something.

We were supposed to go and had to cancel. Asked them about the best time for inshore and offshore. Beginning Dec was what they said so that's when we were going. Had 3 full day fishing trips planned - inshore full day, offshore full day for anything, and then offshore live bait trolling for marlin. As always, it is taking a risk. A bad tide or whatever and my fishing vacation could be a blank. But at least it would be a blank in CR. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it back on my schedule.

Roosterfish are fun, but you don't want to keep them. Sierra is excellent and fun to fish for, just like roosters it's a sight fishing game. It is very possible to get mahi inshore as well. take the sierra to a restaurant and have them cook it, or ceviche, my favorite. Don't keep them overnight, theyll smell awful as they are a mackerel. It all depends on the time of year for good fishing. I believe nov-jan is the best time to fish.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Roosterfish are fun, but you don't want to keep them. Sierra is excellent and fun to fish for, just like roosters it's a sight fishing game. It is very possible to get mahi inshore as well. take the sierra to a restaurant and have them cook it, or ceviche, my favorite. Don't keep them overnight, theyll smell awful as they are a mackerel. It all depends on the time of year for good fishing. I believe nov-jan is the best time to fish.
One rooster fish is fun. Then they just become work! Those bastards can pull! I caught a hog down in Baja a long time ago. Not a lot of fish that can out fight a rooster fish!