Q&A Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36mm field eval

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider

TxLite

WKR
Such a shame they won’t take the time to fix their internals. I like what they have to offer with their glass and zero lock.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
The Trijicon Huron line seems to be the same budget as these VX3 and recommended brand for durability. Is there any difference in durability of the 1" tube 3-9 vs the 30mm tube 2.5-10? Wondering why the difference in price.

My rifle fell over this morning, opening day for whitetail here in Indiana. it fell over, there was no drop. Anyway I took a different rifle out for the morning hunt.

This afternoon I fired three shots at 100 to make sure the scope was ok... Impact 13" inches to the left on the vx3hd.

Got it readjusted but my confidence is shattered. $600 paperweight bs. Never buying Leupold again.

That's a lot. What's your mounting setup? Is the action bedded? What's your action screw torque?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
My rifle fell over this morning, opening day for whitetail here in Indiana. it fell over, there was no drop. Anyway I took a different rifle out for the morning hunt.

This afternoon I fired three shots at 100 to make sure the scope was ok... Impact 13" inches to the left on the vx3hd.

Got it readjusted but my confidence is shattered. $600 paperweight bs. Never buying Leupold again.

It happened to me with a vx3.
I believe it 100%

RobertLosekamp

Lil-Rokslider
That's a lot. What's your mounting setup? Is the action bedded? What's your action screw torque?
Talley mounts, factory toughtech t3x. Everything torqued to spec with blue loktite, double checked with my wheeler wrench Thursday. Could have been the mounts but they don't appear damaged and my witness marks still line up.

Last edited:

RobertLosekamp

Lil-Rokslider
Talleys are always suspect imo. Is your action bedded in the stock? What's your action screw torque at?

Hasn't been bedded, it's as it was from the factory. I don't recall offhand I'd have to look in the manual and mount instructions for the torque specs.

Bed it, and torque it tight. 65 in lbs. That way your next scope has a chance of working. I suspect you have multiple things moving right now, including the scope internals.

I did a very thorough bedding post you can look up if you're not familiar with the process.

RobertLosekamp

Lil-Rokslider
Bed it, and torque it tight. 65 in lbs. That way your next scope has a chance of working. I suspect you have multiple things moving right now, including the scope internals.

I did a very thorough bedding post you can look up if you're not familiar with the process.
Appreciate it I'll look it up.

Edit: Loosened action and re-torqued, think the action may have shifted sideways in the drop idk. Scope is fine now.

Last edited:
I lost some sleep after stumbling onto these tests.

I had a Leupold from Amazon during the pandemic not able to zero at all when I received it, but chalked that up to mis handling .

I don’t take long pokes at animals, but will be looking elsewhere for future purchases. It really sucks as the glass quality, weight, low to medium power range options (like a 2x lower) and simple reticle are ideal for shorter range hunting.

But shiit happens in the field, if a scope can’t fall over and hold zero it isn’t worth much

matchu865

FNG
I have this scope and was using it to do load development on a Model 70 in 375 H&H. Groups were consistently horrible across all of the loads I tried. Zero seemed to wander as well, although that is really hard to tell with 5-6" groups. Unfortunately testing with a VX-5HD 3-15 (the only other scope I have) hasn't yielded better results.

This test actually gives me some hope that the rifle isn't a complete piece of junk. I have a Trijicon Huron on order, and hopefully it holds up to the 375 recoil. Will report back.

matchu865

FNG
Went to the range today with the new Trijicon, and no more wandering 6 MOA groups/patterns. The rifle seems to shoot 1.5 MOA which is pretty good for me with a 9 power scope and having to very firmly hold the rifle. The Leupold will be going down the road. Glad I stumbled across this forum as I was chasing my tail.