Q&A Leupold Mark 4HD 2.5-10x42mm FFP TMR

atmat

WKR
My goal, which may not be anyone else’s goal, is to have a system that barring something that catastrophically breaks the rifle, there is a way to aim and make 300-400 yards shots with, if required. Something that is unobtrusive, relatively lightweight, and above all reliable and durable.
You may be asking for a unicorn.

Was hoping maybe these would work out. Just placed an order for an S&B 3-12x42 for my Howa Mini 6ARC build. Not worth the chance on the Leupold.

Are those the ones that only allow for one me revolution of the torrent so like 3.something mils?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshfly

WKR
Are those the ones that only allow for one me revolution of the torrent so like 3.something mils?

They are 4.8 mil now. Plenty for the vast majority of rifles out to 650 or so. Definitely enough for the 6ARC this one is for.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 12.57.29 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 12.57.29 PM.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 28
They are 4.8 mil now. Plenty for the vast majority of rifles out to 650 or so. Definitely enough for the 6ARC this one is for.

Thanks for the info… I had wrote off the scope due to 3.2mils but now I way consider it again.

Hard to find the perfect drop tested scope
Maven- never in stock
SWFA 3-9 - never in stock
Trijicon tenmile - high on the list but wish it had a little better reticle for wind, little pricy at $1500
Nightforce- bit heavy and I dislike all but the Mil C reticle
Luepold- usually doesn’t hold zero
S&B klassik - only issue is 4.8 mils but that gets me to 700 yards and maybe just use the reticle from there for long range practice shots

wapitibob

WKR
106 shots on my Mark 4hd, so far it's working fine. I have a 200yd zero and a cpl extra dots on the paper so I'll check zero a cpl times in the next 10 days or so. I will say it sure is nice looking thru that glass, turning the parallax, and getting the clearest image I have seen in a decade; way nicer than the NXS. The eye box is fantastic, you don't even notice it, just a full scope all the time. The NX8 was a bit finicky, useable but always needed a slight head adj.
Not a fan of the Vortex rings I bought. Two cross screws and 30# torgue to hold it on the rail. I went to 35#. It's just not a solid engagement and lock up like the NF rings that have the 55# single cross bolt and beefier clamp. Those NF clamps came tight with no mush pretty quick and were solid as you crank the wrench to 55#.

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
S&B klassik - only issue is 4.8 mils but that gets me to 700 yards and maybe just use the reticle from there for long range practice shots
The other thing about this scope is the general lack of elevation available (outside of the rev-limited turn) when zeroing. On my Tikka, I unfortunately had to use up quite a bit of elevation to zero, leaving me only like 3.7 mil on the turret.

The other thing about this scope is the general lack of elevation available (outside of the rev-limited turn) when zeroing. On my Tikka, I unfortunately had to use up quite a bit of elevation to zero, leaving me only like 3.7 mil on the turret.

Darn, but thanks for the info

At this point I’m thinking hard of just sticking with my cheap fixed 10x SWFA because it just works and the reticle isn’t bad

Marshfly

WKR
The Klassik isn't for you guys that are looking for one rifle to hunt with and stretch out super far. Mine will be for hunting alone. I have other rifles to stretch far that have Tenmiles and SWFA 6x on them.

But potentially sacrificing reliability because you want to shoot further than 600 yards or so for fun is foolish IMHO.

Procision Arms

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m looking for an aperture rear and globe front of some sort. Rugged, lightish, and the ability to dial for range, and fits under a scope or can be attached when the scope is removed. The Gunwerks Revic sight is on the path, but is too big and bulky.

This is a solution to a different problem, but might get you close.

We’ve done this on a few of our long range muzzleloaders to allow guys to hunt both scoped and no-scoped states without having to buy multiple guns. NECG aperture that fits on a pic rail with Williams precision western hunter globe front site with their BDC-style crosshairs.

Additional Pros:

-easy to do load development then pull scope and zero open sights.

-weighs next to nothing

Cons:

-not dialable, but BDC site gives you some distance. With high BC muzzle loader bullets, we see 225-300 yards as the bottom hash.

-requires a higher than normal set of rings

-front sight install will require gunsmithing on most modern rifles.

Overall it’s a pretty effective setup- that exact muzzleloader killed an elk at 309 yards in CO last year with the irons.

Attachments

• IMG_4561.jpeg
    IMG_4561.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4562.jpeg
    IMG_4562.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4563.jpeg
    IMG_4563.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4560.jpeg
    IMG_4560.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 81
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
This is a solution to a different problem, but might get you close.

We’ve done this on a few of our long range muzzleloaders to allow guys to hunt both scoped and no-scoped states without having to buy multiple guns. NECG aperture that fits on a pic rail with Williams precision western hunter globe front site with their BDC-style crosshairs.

Additional Pros:

-easy to do load development then pull scope and zero open sights.

-weighs next to nothing

Cons:

-not dialable, but BDC site gives you some distance. With high BC muzzle loader bullets, we see 225-300 yards as the bottom hash.

-requires a higher than normal set of rings

-front sight install will require gunsmithing on most modern rifles.

Overall it’s a pretty effective setup- that exact muzzleloader killed an elk at 309 yards in CO last year with the irons.

I’ve looked at that, but was wanting a dialing rear. Might work in the short term though. I’m also going to try getting an adjustable Williams rear on a pic mount.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Got to see a Mk 4 HD in person while in Alaska last week while the Rep was visiting Granite View Sports. Great shop by the way. Quite a nice scope, turret feel, reticle was nice. Was a 6-24 model with christmas tree. I asked the rep if she was familiar with the Rokslide Drop Tests. She said "We are and our military tests are far worse than that" or something to that effect. She seemed quite knowledgeable and I was pleased to see the drop tests are at least on their radar. After a lot of discussion, I got the impression this scope might be able to pass. Fingers crossed because if it will pass I will buy one and drop my own. If it fails miserably, I won't bother.

Got to see a Mk 4 HD in person while in Alaska last week while the Rep was visiting Granite View Sports. Great shop by the way. Quite a nice scope, turret feel, reticle was nice. Was a 6-24 model with christmas tree. I asked the rep if she was familiar with the Rokslide Drop Tests. She said "We are and our military tests are far worse than that" or something to that effect. She seemed quite knowledgeable and I was pleased to see the drop tests are at least on their radar. After a lot of discussion, I got the impression this scope might be able to pass. Fingers crossed because if it will pass I will buy one and drop my own. If it fails miserably, I won't bother.

I think in forms words, these are inconsistent. Which is a real bummer

Glad to hear they are aware of the rokslide drop test. I’m surprised she said their military test are far worst, when the scopes have been inconsistently passing/not passing

I’d really like for it to pass as it seems like a great hunting scope