Q&A Leupold Mark 4HD 2.5-10x42mm FFP TMR

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

I’m looking for an aperture rear and globe front of some sort. Rugged, lightish, and the ability to dial for range, and fits under a scope or can be attached when the scope is removed. The Gunwerks Revic sight is on the path, but is too big and bulky.

A friend in the field just sent an InReach message that his SWFA 3-9 failed. Zero was off and the reticle was not visible above 5x. First I've heard of one of those failing, but hell of a time while on a youth sheep hunt.
Keep us updated as to what they do warranty wise. Not sure how one gets a replacement when they havent had any in stock for 18 months. Curious what their move is

BULLBLASTER

Lil-Rokslider
Keep us updated as to what they do warranty wise. Not sure how one gets a replacement when they havent had any in stock for 18 months. Curious what their move is
They gave me credit plus shipping for mine. I paid the difference and got a side parallax version. Not sure what theyd do if you dont want credit toward another model.

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for an aperture rear and globe front of some sort. Rugged, lightish, and the ability to dial for range, and fits under a scope or can be attached when the scope is removed. The Gunwerks Revic sight is on the path, but is too big and bulky.
What's your ideal iron as backups. I take it you would remove scope if you had too?

Can you please explain the reason for Leupold’s or any other scopes for the group opening up larger than cone like you witnessed on number 3?

I have noticed this myself on a few scopes like VX3s that have not been dropped, but have seen other scopes in same price category stay consistent at least in group size/shape.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What's your ideal iron as backups. I take it you would remove scope if you had too?

Ideal doesn’t exist yet I don’t believe. Something like the AI irons or the TRG is close. But, the Parker Hale M85 setup is more what should be.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Can you please explain the reason for Leupold’s or any other scopes for the group opening up larger than cone like you witnessed on number 3?

I have noticed this myself on a few scopes like VX3s that have not been dropped, but have seen other scopes in same price category stay consistent at least in group size/shape.

The erector is moving. It’s not uncommon.

To put it into perspective, after a different scope totally failed today I wanted to see a scope work correctly. Mounted the #1 Maven RS1.2 to the eval rifle, then shot one round. Took the scope off and remounted again at 65in-lbs. Fired one round. Repeated this for 10 rounds with the scope being dismounted and remounted between each shot.

IMG_0641.jpeg

huntnful

WKR

To put it into perspective, after a different scope totally failed today I wanted to see a scope work correctly. Mounted the #1 Maven RS1.2 to the eval rifle, then shot one round. Took the scope off and remounted again at 65in-lbs. Fired one round. Repeated this for 10 rounds with the scope being dismounted and remounted between each shot.

View attachment 746283
Impressive! I honestly thought there'd be more play than that just with how small of a shift it would take to move the impact at 100 yards. When originally mounting rings to the rail, do you slide them forward against the lug?

Axlrod

WKR
Skinner makes a pic rail for a Tikka, that has an integrated peep. Would need to drill and mount a front sight.

View attachment 746283
Thanks for explaining and this is slightly terrifying. I guess I will be going all Nightforce for a while.

Ram94

WKR
Skinner makes a pic rail for a Tikka, that has an integrated peep. Would need to drill and mount a front sight.

Looks like the front sight is integrated into the front of the extended pic rail on the T3 picture.

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider

Would be awfully low to get down on. There's a reason for the huge drop at heel for rifle designed for low mount irons.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
This is a fun discussion, but pretending any practical version of hunting rifle iron sights is easier to install and use than a piggyback red dot is nuts. A rifle like the m85 is badass, but needs to be designed from the ground up to integrate irons that good. A 12 o’clock acro just makes more sense. So … I’d like my tikka ring caps please :)

-J

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
This is a fun discussion, but pretending any practical version of hunting rifle iron sights is easier to install and use than a piggyback red dot is nuts. A rifle like the m85 is badass, but needs to be designed from the ground up to integrate irons that good. A 12 o’clock acro just makes more sense. So … I’d like my tikka ring caps please :)

-J

Nah. It isn’t about “easier to use”, it’s about “unless an act of god, it will work”. Zero them and you never have to worry or mess with proper back up irons again.

Just as with AR’s, offset red dot are not a substitute for irons. Weather is a thing, and rain, fog, ice from your breath, etc will make a red dot as useless as any optic. Batteries die. Batteries die in the cold. They break as well. If it is a “back up”, it should be “back up” and robust as possible, not a secondary aiming system.

My goal, which may not be anyone else’s goal, is to have a system that barring something that catastrophically breaks the rifle, there is a way to aim and make 300-400 yards shots with, if required. Something that is unobtrusive, relatively lightweight, and above all reliable and durable.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I hear you. How about that battue sight model Tikka is importing now? More gettable than the arctic. Not near the long range usability of the m85.

-J

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I hear you. How about that battue sight model Tikka is importing now? More gettable than the arctic. Not near the long range usability of the m85.

-J

Nope. Standard irons ain’t it.

Reactions: NSI