Q&A Leupold Mark 4HD 2.5-10x42mm FFP TMR

I could actually see having an Acro or similar on a QD Lever stashed away in your pack.
If a scope failed catastrophically, you could remove your scope & rings from the Pic rail and throw on the Acro. Sight in the Acro for MPBR and you atleast have a couple hundred yard capable gun still.

Helislacker

Lil-Rokslider
You don’t. Unless you get a T3 Arctic.

The reality is given what is available today with a T3, UM rings, etc- the scope is still the most fragile piece of equipment on the rifle. I beat the shit out of my scopes/rifles in practice, yet protect them as much as realistically possible on a hunt.

While failures as above are rare- if I took that as fact that the 3-9x hard broke, that’s the first out of well over 100 that I know of that has done so- with very high round counts and abusive use. One (maybe two) that I am aware of had a reticle rotate (still zeroed and still dialed correctly. So let’s call it 1/100 hard failure.
Now that sucks for the one, however the only other scopes that have as low of a failure rate in use that have seen with that amount of numbers and use is NF NXS’s and NX8 1-8’s, and SWFA fixed powers (I’ve seen one the turret broke off and one that leaked).

Now even with those numbers and reliability/durability record, and astronomical odds that one will fail on a sheep hunt…. It doesn’t help when you are the one it failed on the sheep hunt.

The answer is something like the T3x Arctic iron sight setup, or the sights one the Sako TRG 22/42, and/or the M24. But no one is making anything for centerfire modern bolt actions like that. Yet.
I’m assuming the T3x arctic would have the same deficiencies with magazines as the CTR, as per your S2H course AAR - correct? Would you yourself drop the arctic into a Rokstok and then grab a factory DBM for the standard single stack mags if you went the arctic route? Or does the CTR mag issues only really apply to the .223 from what you’ve seen?

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I’m assuming the T3x arctic would have the same deficiencies with magazines as the CTR, as per your S2H course AAR - correct? Would you yourself drop the arctic into a Rokstok and then grab a factory DBM for the standard single stack mags if you went the arctic route? Or does the CTR mag issues only really apply to the .223 from what you’ve seen?
Could just bite the bullet and run an actual TRG mag instead.

-J

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Use a TRG mag, or easily modify the latch to take both CTR and AICS mags. But the Artic in a RokStok setup correctly would be a very good system.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
Has anyone tested return to 0 with AM rings? I was considering it this past weekend as I mounted a scope. A sighted in backup scope (NX8 1-8 for example) could be a consideration. It would likely be left at camp, so useless at the moment, but there later.

On many current stock designs, iron sights would be hard to use. Raised peep sights might be a possibility for some. For me, the Rokstok would be near impossible to use with a ghost ring/peep unless it was mounted very high.

BULLBLASTER

Lil-Rokslider
A friend in the field just sent an InReach message that his SWFA 3-9 failed. Zero was off and the reticle was not visible above 5x. First I've heard of one of those failing, but hell of a time while on a youth sheep hunt.
I had a swfa 10x fail recently. Prallax adjustment lost all tension and function. Would be fine for a couple of shots and then miss by feet.

• Wow
Reactions: NSI

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
After shooting the maven and the THLR the leupy reticle isnt good.

Ergonomics? Please expand.

Weight. Yea thats not an arguement unless the scope works as well as its competition which it doesnt appear to do.

Avaliable is about the only thing it has going for it that I can see.
Whats the issue with the reticle? I have 2 RS1.2s and dont see any glaring issues with the reticle.

Ergonomics meaning eyebox, turret design (locking zero stop).

Weight is a factor and you asked why people want to run it. They wanted it too work as the weights more reason.

Obviously it's inconsistent so I agree it's a bit of a moot point now but people aren't saying they would run it regardless they are saying these are things they would appreciate as features if it did work or why they wanted it to work.

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
Whats the issue with the reticle? I have 2 RS1.2s and dont see any glaring issues with the reticle.

Ergonomics meaning eyebox, turret design (locking zero stop).

Weight is a factor and you asked why people want to run it. They wanted it too work as the weights more reason.

Obviously it's inconsistent so I agree it's a bit of a moot point now but people aren't saying they would run it regardless they are saying these are things they would appreciate as features if it did work or why they wanted it to work.
I'm also talking about the illuminated reticle not the non illuminated.

mustelid_master

Lil-Rokslider
That’s sucks. Everything has a failure rate. You make the best choice you can, test/shoot it a bunch and go.

Apparently I am out in left field to most people- but legit field rifles should have a back up aiming system.
Is there a way to make irons work with suppressors on a bolt gun?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I could actually see having an Acro or similar on a QD Lever stashed away in your pack.
If a scope failed catastrophically, you could remove your scope & rings from the Pic rail and throw on the Acro. Sight in the Acro for MPBR and you atleast have a couple hundred yard capable gun still.

That would work. An Aimpoint CompM5b is even better, and is capable of hitting ragers as far as you can see them with your eyes.

To me though, as a back up system for the extremely unlikely event of one of the legitimate durable/reliable scopes failing, I want to go straight to the most bomb proof known option. No batteries, no electronics.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Would you ever consider putting something like the mbus pros for ARs on a bolt action with a pic rail? Not as a primary use. I just mean in an emergency backup type situation. Would that even work?

Flip up AR sights have been tried, and there are some that are interesting. Not as good as a made for purpose set though.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Whats the issue with the reticle?

Its just not as good as the maven or THLR.
Its not bad. Not good was too strong. Not as good as would have been more appropiate.

But now that I know what a good reticle actually looks like it makes my Mil-C, Mil-R and the other similar reticles less appealing.

If this scope actually worked I was going to pull my NXS 2.5-10 off my fieldcraft but alas, a gold ring disappoints again.

BjornF16

WKR
You don’t. Unless you get a T3 Arctic.

The answer is something like the T3x Arctic iron sight setup, or the sights one the Sako TRG 22/42, and/or the M24. But no one is making anything for centerfire modern bolt actions like that. Yet.
You can get iron sights on Blaser barrels