Q&A for SWFA UL 2.5-10x32mm Field Eval

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
You consider this better than a Leopold VX 2-7? I've had one a light 308. It hasn't been dropped from 36 inches but it's taken a few bumps and small drops. Kids used it so it wasn't babied.

You consider this better than a Leopold VX 2-7? I've had one a light 308. It hasn't been dropped from 36 inches but it's taken a few bumps and small drops. Kids used it so it wasn't babied.
You're really gonna regret asking about this once he tells you all leupolds are a pile of junk.

Tod osier

WKR

Thanks for doing this. I'll add my experience.

I have 3 of these that I've been happy with. One on a crossbow that has seen a lot of use, one on a .22 and one on a pretty hard kicking muzzleloader (I have not scoped myself due to limited eye relief). I would buy more if I needed more. All mine are BDC.

On the crossbow, I am pretty confident that I have had 2 or 3 instances where the erector did not move when adjusted, then jumped into place after shooting. It tracked properly from what I can tell in those cases, just didn't move when I expected it to. It has absolutely held zero. I am happy with it and know that it is not intended as a crossbow scope. The BDC with my crossbow works beautifully out to 50 when set around 3-4X.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
You're really gonna regret asking about this once he tells you all leupolds are a pile of junk.
I'm happy to hear the ugly truth. Mine has worked but I haven't dialed it and I haven't smacked it around. I don't think zero has shifted from normal use. Can't say the same for some other scopes I've had. The SWFA looks like a good option in my price range. Plan to keep it on a small rifle that I won't drop. Maybe a NF someday

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

I haven’t used the SWFA UL enough to say, not have seen enough of them used to say in general. Having said that, being that the Leupold VX2’s aren’t great in zero retention and certainly not dialing, the SWFA UL is better on first glance.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Form. I will keep an eye in on updates.
These threads do make me think about good old M14 style iron sites....

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks Form. I will keep an eye in on updates.
These threads do make me think about good old M14 style iron sites....

Nah. There are enough scopes that have such a low failure rate, that it’s really a non issue. The problem is instead of looking at the task/thing on a pure objective tool level, people put emotion into it- they feel that their personality is apart of which scope/rifle/cartridge/pack/etc they use. The value isn’t in what object I use, it’s in what I can do with that object.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
I don't see any drop tests for the SWFA 3-9 but everyone seems to like it. Is it safe to assume it will take abuse as well as the fixed SWFA scopes? Or at least better than the Leopold 2-7 it wears? I ask because I want a bombproof but affordable scope to go on the 308 that gets passed around my family (usually backed up by me with a 375 Ruger if bears are involved). I know a dialable mil scope is more than kids need shooting a bear over bait or a caribou at 100 yards but I don't want to worry about bumps from amateur hunters ruining the zero. The 2.5-10 will live on my light 30-06 for backpack trips. The 308 will be the kid gun BUT I might grab it occasionally for a shot that requires dialing. So it would be nice to trust it 100%.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I don't see any drop tests for the SWFA 3-9 but everyone seems to like it. Is it safe to assume it will take abuse as well as the fixed SWFA scopes? Or at least better than the Leopold 2-7 it wears? I ask because I want a bombproof but affordable scope to go on the 308 that gets passed around my family (usually backed up by me with a 375 Ruger if bears are involved). I know a dialable mil scope is more than kids need shooting a bear over bait or a caribou at 100 yards but I don't want to worry about bumps from amateur hunters ruining the zero. The 2.5-10 will live on my light 30-06 for backpack trips. The 308 will be the kid gun BUT I might grab it occasionally for a shot that requires dialing. So it would be nice to trust it 100%.

They are extremely reliable and durable scopes. Overall probably the best general purpose 0-700’ish yard scope in the market.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. Just ordered a used SWFA 3-9. Should be a fun project.

Now to figure out my 375 scope.... 1-4 Leopold has worked so far. Might just drop it and see what happens. I'll report back if I do.

JCMCUBIC

WKR

If they would make a 6x version, or an FFP version in mils, I could see quite a few using it.

I've been thinking about this scope a bit and came back to read the eval. In a fixed 6x this could be beefed up a touch - maybe tube to 30mm and internals the same as the SS's - and still be a very light scope.

Would likely be a better route to take the 3-9's tube, lose the windage (cap it), mag ring, and extra lense(s) for a reliable ~15-16 oz scope with HD glass and without the parallax and extra objective length of the current 6x42.

Random thoughts of a 6x junkie anxious to see what SWFA comes out with their current focus being their scopes only.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I've been thinking about this scope a bit and came back to read the eval. In a fixed 6x this could be beefed up a touch - maybe tube to 30mm and internals the same as the SS's - and still be a very light scope.

Would likely be a better route to take the 3-9's tube, lose the windage (cap it), mag ring, and extra lense(s) for a reliable ~15-16 oz scope with HD glass and without the parallax and extra objective length of the current 6x42.

Random thoughts of a 6x junkie anxious to see what SWFA comes out with their current focus being their scopes only.

That would be usable for sure.

prm

WKR

A fixed 6x based on the smaller 3-9 and the HD glass would be nice. But please keep the fast focus eye piece of the current 6x.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
A fixed 6x based on the smaller 3-9 and the HD glass would be nice. But please keep the fast focus eye piece of the current 6x.

I didn't think about that but agree. I really don't have an objection to the 3-9's so I can live with either but prefer the fast focus.

I mounted/sighted-in one of the newer 3-9's this week. Was in a rush so I only zero'd at 100, set the turrets, and confirmed the zero after turrets set. Hoping to play with it several times over the next few weeks and see how it dials. Zero'ing was uneventful. The difference in the amount of adjustment needed for the focus vs the previous version is substantial, so it leaves me scratching my head a bit on any production differences...which makes me want to really verify.

SouthPaw

WKR
I've seen several reports of the "new batch" 3-9 being a tad different with some skepticism on production differences. I've got an older 3-9 that I've put about 1k rounds on, no issues. I also have a BNIB 3-9 from the new batch sitting that won't be going onto a build until this summer. I'm happy to send it in for the drop eval if desired @Ryan Avery .

Those with experience, how would this UL scope fare on a general purpose AR? I recently finished another build and have an eotech on it but I'm not a huge fan of holographic sights or red dots. I have another 6x on order now that I was going to try on this AR as I already love the one I have on my Grendel. Just trying to find the right optic for this latest build. Thanks for the info.

Had one of these fail on me yesterday while shooting. Never even got to drop it.
108e186fed4c727090b893030bd8f9ec.jpg

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Am I seeing that correctly? A piece of glass just came out? Weird.