Q&A for SWFA UL 2.5-10x32mm Field Eval

Form, how's the eye relief on this scope? the spec is terrible, but some folks say the spec is just completely wrong. I'm curious to know what the truth is.

SDHNTR

WKR
I had one on a .22. Looked out of place on a full sized centerfire. I also found the eyebox too tight at higher powers, my kid especially did.

It’s amusing, this sucker is too small and the standard SS models, like 6x and 3-9x, are too big. Hey SWFA, split the difference will ya?

Glad to see it did pretty well. I used one for about a season on my backpacking gun and found it work work well. Even had my sling break and rifle fall onto granite and scope held zero. In the end I wanted something with a little more long range capability. Had a very hard time making a 500 yard shot in lowish light using the SFP holdover reticle…but maybe I should have used the duplex and dialed from what I’m seeing here. The deer still died but it was not easy at 10x, compared to shooting steel where it was fine.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, how's the eye relief on this scope? the spec is terrible, but some folks say the spec is just completely wrong. I'm curious to know what the truth is.

It’s on the shorter side, but not as bad as you would think. I never thought about it while shooting.

ahlgringo

WKR
I have one on my Barrett Fieldcraft 308- for what it is, I really like it. Its a 300 yd gun anyway so this scope is perfect to match the lightweight FC. I also don't have an issue with the eye relief.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Glad to see it did pretty well. I used one for about a season on my backpacking gun and found it work work well. Even had my sling break and rifle fall onto granite and scope held zero. In the end I wanted something with a little more long range capability. Had a very hard time making a 500 yard shot in lowish light using the SFP holdover reticle…but maybe I should have used the duplex and dialed from what I’m seeing here. The deer still died but it was not easy at 10x, compared to shooting steel where it was fine.

If it continues to dial without issue, that would definitely be the way to go. A mil reticle with mil turrets would be nice too.

If it continues to dial without issue, that would definitely be the way to go. A mil reticle with mil turrets would be nice too.
Sure would. I ended up with an SHV 3-10 with plain duplex. I’ve practiced dialing out to 670 and it does just fine. Realistically with that gun things will be killed <200 yards and for that it’s ideal. The UL would probably work well for the same kind of setup where weight is important and dialing is rare.

Tanner

WKR
Form, I’ve got 2 of these scopes (one on a 6mm Creed Fieldcraft and another on the same rifle in 6.5 Creed). The 6mm has had a bunch of rounds through it and has taken 6 or so animals without a change in zero. Dialing and RTZ has been far better than I anticipated in such a small scope. I am pretty damn sold on them for an ultralight hunting rifle. Glass is plenty good for me out to 700 or so!

Attachments

• CB6BE726-8927-4B20-A6E0-269D2B49F528.jpeg
    CB6BE726-8927-4B20-A6E0-269D2B49F528.jpeg
    438.3 KB · Views: 293
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, I’ve got 2 of these scopes (one on a 6mm Creed Fieldcraft and another on the same rifle in 6.5 Creed). The 6mm has had a bunch of rounds through it and has taken 6 or so animals without a change in zero. Dialing and RTZ has been far better than I anticipated in such a small scope. I am pretty damn sold on them for an ultralight hunting rifle. Glass is plenty good for me out to 700 or so!

That’s good to hear and is the exact use I think it might be good for. Thank you.

If they would make a 6x version, or an FFP version in mils, I could see quite a few using it.

I believe this scope is a copy or rebadged version of the 2-10 Sightron that I have been using for well over 10 years with absolutely no issues at all.
Eyebox and eye relief is fine

z987k

WKR
Are you dialing with the factory turret?

I have two of these as well. One on a 22lr and one on a Kimber hunter 7-08 (total package weighs 5lbs 12oz). The Kimber is the gun we take when we go on stupid long backpack hunts. For me the eye box isn’t an issue until 10x. The turrets work fine but aren’t anything to write home about. The ultra light is awesome on a 22lr and definitely fits the bill for someone trying to go as light as possible on a gun that can still dial. When you pull it out of the box for the first time it almost feels fake but it has been a good scope for the last two seasons for me.