Putting together your first backcountry gear list...where to cut corners?

Mt Al

WKR
Not much to add but in terms of price, weight, etc. Here are some thoughts:
Glass - IMHO keep your 10x42 and get a great spotter used. Everybody has their preferences but when you're in big/wide country I use my 10x42s up close for a while, then set up the spotter for farther hill sides. You just have to pick a way and try it out to see what works for you. My next move is either Nikon's 10x42 w/range finder or some 10x32s. Cut weight/clutter either way.

Boots: It's so individual, try a bunch on and don't buy anything cheap. I just bought some Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX. Pretty light and I love them. Have had Scarps, Asolo, lots of others. Big issue is bring several pairs of socks and dry out the wet ones hanging them on your pack after a stream crossing.

Tent: for budget, small but not really light weight I've been enjoying my Eureka Spitfire 1 but will upgrade to a tarptent protrail soon.

Sleep system: join me in wasting (?) tons of time researching quilts! I kind of turned my sleeping bag into a quilt on my last trip and other than than the hood driving me crazy, I'm convinced. Like you mentioned, air pad with foamy underneath, but check out the quilts. I youtubed how to mod my bag to be a quilt and that's happening over Christmas. I don't worry about temp rating because I have primaloft overpants and puffy jacket. The bag is basically a blanket.

For cloths there's no need to buy brand S or brand K or brand A for your layering. I kluged together some Simms and other primaloft for insulation layer. Any polarfleece that's not junk (any decent name outdoor brand) works fine. I just spent the big bucks on a Sitka goretex packable shell and some mountain pants. Love the cut of Sitka gear but will try others when this stuff wears out.

Never skimp on anything that can save your life. Staying dry and warm is the first defense.

jmez

WKR
You can skimp on everything other than boots and a sleeping pad IMO. Top of the line gear is great, it isn't a necessity. Your time frame, weather shouldn't be a huge issue so most any backpacking tent will work. You will be camping high so a good pad will be a must to sleep comfortably. You should be deciding soon on a pair of boots and start wearing them now, get them well broke in prior to heading to the mountains.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, so I am about to get serious in terms of shifting to backcountry hunting. Specifically mule deer in either archery or muzzleloader seasons so late Aug.-Mid. Sept. This alone saves me on method of take since I have a Knight .45 muzzy and have always bow hunted. Clothing wise, I'm not concerned I will buy pieces on and off all the time (Kuiu, Sitka, FL, etc.). On my research for packs, I think this will be the first place where I really commit and buy a Stone Glacier. I think this will be a vital piece of equipment that will be the backbone of getting into and out of the backcountry. Boots, I haven't committed one way or another I definitely want something waterproof, but still light and agile with good ankle support. Thoughts?

Optics wise, I have a rangefinder with angle compensation out to 500yds. Not the fanciest of units, but since I will be trying to get within a 100yds and in, it should work fine. Binos, I am thinking of going with the Vortex Vultures (15x56) with Suiri T-025x tripod. I think I can get this combo put together for $550-$600 if I buy used. Robby seems to think you can get away with this quality for awhile until I upgrade, but this will get me in the game. Spotting scope wise, I haven't decided but thinking of setting my budget around 1K.

Tent haven't really looked much yet, suggestions would be great. I have done some research on sleeping bags and sleeping mats. I think I will get a quality air mat (thinking a large Therm-A-Rest NeoAir) Will throw in an egg crate mat to put under it along with using sections of it when glassing. Bag wise, want to get something around "0" degree, but with a good price point. Synthetic is totally fine with me, I figure it may not be as warm as the top quality (Western Mountaineering), but a quality mat seems to go along ways with your sleeping bag choice. Rather be too warm than freezing especially if buying a sleeping bag "on a budget".

As you guys can hopefully tell from my post, I have been putting in lots of time with research (I enjoy the process). I want to be a long time member and prove to many of the members here that I am not just a guy who joins asks for "unit help" and then disappears. I want to build some relationships here and get to know the senior members here.

I know I didn't touch on every piece of gear, but the larger purchases is what I am concerned about now ($200+). Thanks-Skyler

Optics wise I’d personally try and either go a little higher in quality of 15s, or get a higher quality of 10s and put them on a tripod... or 12s even. I went with those vortex ones early on thinking they’d get me by, and I hated them.

Tents I would really look at Hilleberg. They are pricey, but you won’t have to worry about poles breaking during a storm. For that early in the high country the Kifaru Supertarp would also be a great lightweight option but for an all around shelter I’d go Hilleberg for early season.

Boots are tough because every foot is different. I dig the La Sportiva Trango Cubes for early season mountain hunting. I believe Brock has a great article review on them in the footwear section.

For a synthetic bag I’m a fan of the Kifaru Slick bag. The center zip is awesome and the apex synthetic insulation they use is top notch.

I think everyone is right on here though... of things to not skimp out on it’d be boots, pack and shelter. Shortly followed by sleep system and optics.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Good luck, your off to a great start, I learned some the hard way with cheaper gear when I started as I'm sure you will refine after some early trips.

My biggest suggestion, especially if your new to backpacking, is to get out, even if it's in your home state and use your gear for a weekender, or shoot west seeing as your in Iowa. Time in the field, not necessarily hunting will tell you what you want to tweak for your personal needs. There's a reason everyone's gear list is different on here, much of it is preference.

Good luck in the search. I'd be doing you a disservice by not at least suggesting a floorless shelter, a good pack, and to take care of your feet.

Oh and for mule deer my spotter always comes with.

It will depend on how good your eyes are by themselves and what kind of country you will be hunting but I would take to $1000 you had budgeted for a spotter and split it up and go premium on other gear.

My brother and I split some costs on a spotter and tripod and carried it into our basecamp and only took it out once. It was too steep and thick to be of any use. If we were in an open area we could probably have made it more worth while.

Boots- Spend as much money as you need to find a boot that will keep you in the game. It doesn't matter how light and great everything else if your feet are hamburger. I have chronically difficult feet to deal with and have had lots of blisters that diminished trips, not just hunting trip, over the years. If you can lace them up then forget about your feet you know you have found the right boot. Crispi will be my go too the next time I need a mountain hunting boot.

Pack- The best cost to weight reduction value area IMHO. There are so many manufacturers and configurations that you can loose your mind a little bit. I got a horn hunter and it worked fine. Its way heavier than the other more expensive options- 9 lbs as opposed to probably 5.5-6lbs for a Kifaru or SG. You'll spend more than the $300 premium between packs to cut 3-4 pounds from the rest of your gear. No pack will be comfortable with 100lbs on it but a cheap one might break.

Sleep system- Get the Neoair X-therm. I got it and it is awesome. I believe its around pound, comfortable, and its a 5.7 R-value. Just make sure you have a level sleep surface or you will slide off of it. Not that you might slide off of it, You WILL slide off of it. We did our best to find a flat spot but I still woke up at the bottom of the tent every morning. You will probably not encounter those super cold nights if you're only hunting till September but its light enough its a good piece of gear to take in addition. If your bag is marginal you will want all the help you can get from a pad. I have a 5 degree down bag and a 15 degree synthetic and there is an enormous difference in the capabilities between them. I take precautions and store my bag in a dry sack when I'm not in it so I don't have to worry about coming back to a wet bag. Its lighter and warmer than synthetics.

Tent- Lots of options but I will always prefer and actual tent and not a floorless shelter. It's nice to have a floor when weather takes a turn.

Optics- Buy once, cry once.

I have a jetboil but also picked up a cheap Stanley pot and a small Chinese stove that makes a combo that almost a half pound lighter than the jetboil. It used much more fuel than the jetboil but its only about $25 total on amazon. on long spork and you're good to go.

Scoot

WKR
Some good advice, some expensive advice above! Pack- good frame and any ol' bag will do. Look for a used Bikini in the classified ads here. Boots- as long as they fit and don't cause blisters/problems, they're great. I use a Cabela's Space Rainsuit for my rain gear- not expensive and have lasted me since 2007. Shelter- depends on where you'll be. If you're going to Alaska or somewhere you can expect cold, wet, big wind- get a Hilleberg. If going to most of the lower 48, lots of less expensive options. Look at used shelters in the classifieds here, that's a great way to save money. Your optics are fine until you can afford to switch. Get a sleeping pad with a good R value and a pretty decent bag. I tried to skimp in this department early and had some unbelievably miserable nights as a result. I'd have paid every penny I had for a decent bag/pad on those nights.

Good luck!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you won't regret your SG purchase :)

ditto on STP- scored a pair of leather La Sportiva for less than 1/2 price and also ditto on fit is everything; I've ended up sending back a half dozen different boots before the finding the optimum fit

I used my 10x42's with a tripod this fall- if you need to save $, you might consider giving that a whirl- obviously saves weight too

a good sleeping bag/quilt is definitely an investment- there are many high end down bags still on the job 20+ years later

elkguide

WKR
OK, so I am about to get serious in terms of shifting to backcountry hunting. Specifically mule deer in either archery or muzzleloader seasons so late Aug.-Mid. Sept. This alone saves me on method of take since I have a Knight .45 muzzy and have always bow hunted. Clothing wise, I'm not concerned I will buy pieces on and off all the time (Kuiu, Sitka, FL, etc.). On my research for packs, I think this will be the first place where I really commit and buy a Stone Glacier. I think this will be a vital piece of equipment that will be the backbone of getting into and out of the backcountry. Boots, I haven't committed one way or another I definitely want something waterproof, but still light and agile with good ankle support. Thoughts?

Optics wise, I have a rangefinder with angle compensation out to 500yds. Not the fanciest of units, but since I will be trying to get within a 100yds and in, it should work fine. Binos, I am thinking of going with the Vortex Vultures (15x56) with Suiri T-025x tripod. I think I can get this combo put together for $550-$600 if I buy used. Robby seems to think you can get away with this quality for awhile until I upgrade, but this will get me in the game. Spotting scope wise, I haven't decided but thinking of setting my budget around 1K.

Tent haven't really looked much yet, suggestions would be great. I have done some research on sleeping bags and sleeping mats. I think I will get a quality air mat (thinking a large Therm-A-Rest NeoAir) Will throw in an egg crate mat to put under it along with using sections of it when glassing. Bag wise, want to get something around "0" degree, but with a good price point. Synthetic is totally fine with me, I figure it may not be as warm as the top quality (Western Mountaineering), but a quality mat seems to go along ways with your sleeping bag choice. Rather be too warm than freezing especially if buying a sleeping bag "on a budget".

As you guys can hopefully tell from my post, I have been putting in lots of time with research (I enjoy the process). I want to be a long time member and prove to many of the members here that I am not just a guy who joins asks for "unit help" and then disappears. I want to build some relationships here and get to know the senior members here.

I know I didn't touch on every piece of gear, but the larger purchases is what I am concerned about now ($200+). Thanks-Skyler

Sometimes the research and preparation can be almost as much fun as boots on the ground. As to priorities........

1. Boots
2. Sleeping bag/pad/tent
3. Binoculars
4. Pack frame

If you have the above along with good quality clothing and a weapon that you are extremely familiar/comfortable with, you'll be fine. I would take the money that you have set aside for your binos and put it with your spotter money and buy a good pair of binos. ( my preference would be either Swarovski or Leica 10X42's) I used my Swaro 10X42's about 98% of the time that I was glassing last fall and the spotter only came out once or twice when I was confirming what I already knew.

Good luck and have fun.

OP
skyleralan
Explain cut corners. On price, weight, or just the amount of gear you're bringing?

More of a generalization. Could be all aspects. Right now, it will be a mix bag of springing for something like the SG pack and looking for something that performs fairly well at a good price point Ex. sleeping bag. Anything that can be bought used (optics, etc.) will be.

OP
skyleralan
Good luck, your off to a great start, I learned some the hard way with cheaper gear when I started as I'm sure you will refine after some early trips.

My biggest suggestion, especially if your new to backpacking, is to get out, even if it's in your home state and use your gear for a weekender, or shoot west seeing as your in Iowa. Time in the field, not necessarily hunting will tell you what you want to tweak for your personal needs. There's a reason everyone's gear list is different on here, much of it is preference.

Good luck in the search. I'd be doing you a disservice by not at least suggesting a floorless shelter, a good pack, and to take care of your feet.

Oh and for mule deer my spotter always comes with.

I agree completely, I would like to find someone who I could accompany on an above timberline scouting trip this summer. Preferably in CO (Units 44 or 47, will be applying for those specifically would like to get to know them and familiarize myself with the area). So, if that sounds like ANY OF YOU and you would like some company hit me up, OR see my post in the rendezvous section. I really want to test my gear that I acquire of the next few months and try it out and see where I am and what I like.

REI makes some really nice synthetic bags for the money and sleep warmer than rated, plus exchanges/returns, are great if you have store in area. I get away with a 30 degree REI bag during archery season here in CO. Also have a 10+ yr old 15 degree REI bag for winter, still in great condition. A 20 degree bag would be plenty. Saw you're from IA, grew up there myself.

OP
skyleralan
REI makes some really nice synthetic bags for the money and sleep warmer than rated, plus exchanges/returns, are great if you have store in area. I get away with a 30 degree REI bag during archery season here in CO. Also have a 10+ yr old 15 degree REI bag for winter, still in great condition. A 20 degree bag would be plenty. Saw you're from IA, grew up there myself.

Great place to raise a family, don't blame you for heading west either. Love the mountains.

Gear is fun, something we can think about and play with all year, while hunting only goes on during season. I like good gear and am at a place in life wear I can have good gear now. With that being said, I’ve spent many nights out before I was old enough to know better with very little gear. I’ve packed out deer, and walked many miles with a $40 dollar Alice pack, a $150 Kelty pack, and I now use a Kifaru. While I like the Kifaru and think it’s great, it’s no game changer, and I would never tell someone they need a high end pack to do this. My tent is still a $150 Eureka ( I’ll probably upgrade soon, but have been using it for almost 20 years and it’s been through a bunch of storms). At 39 years old I’m starting to not sleep well on the ground, but still never have owned a sleeping pad, let alone 2. Whatever boots you buy, make sure you wear them around for many days before going afield with them. Like I said at the beginning, Gear is fun, but don’t get too into it. Most guys I know that are gear junkies spend too much time researching gear than preparing for the trip, then bring too of the beloved gear on the trip and are coming in too heavy.

OP
skyleralan
Gear is fun, something we can think about and play with all year, while hunting only goes on during season. I like good gear and am at a place in life wear I can have good gear now. With that being said, I’ve spent many nights out before I was old enough to know better with very little gear. I’ve packed out deer, and walked many miles with a $40 dollar Alice pack, a $150 Kelty pack, and I now use a Kifaru. While I like the Kifaru and think it’s great, it’s no game changer, and I would never tell someone they need a high end pack to do this. My tent is still a $150 Eureka ( I’ll probably upgrade soon, but have been using it for almost 20 years and it’s been through a bunch of storms). At 39 years old I’m starting to not sleep well on the ground, but still never have owned a sleeping pad, let alone 2. Whatever boots you buy, make sure you wear them around for many days before going afield with them. Like I said at the beginning, Gear is fun, but don’t get too into it. Most guys I know that are gear junkies spend too much time researching gear than preparing for the trip, then bring too of the beloved gear on the trip and are coming in too heavy.

Definitely a point of diminishing returns.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
speaking of used- there was a used Stone Glacier Krux frame with a 5100 bag and lid for sale in the classifieds

Lawnboi

WKR
I agree completely, I would like to find someone who I could accompany on an above timberline scouting trip this summer. Preferably in CO (Units 44 or 47, will be applying for those specifically would like to get to know them and familiarize myself with the area). So, if that sounds like ANY OF YOU and you would like some company hit me up, OR see my post in the rendezvous section. I really want to test my gear that I acquire of the next few months and try it out and see where I am and what I like.

This will pay ten fold. Nothing beats boots on the ground. I'd accompany you but can't get any more time off in 2018. Good luck, have fun, and remember even with good gear it's more mental than anything.

KMBH

FNG
Don't skimp on time in the mountains...everything else you can get by on. If you need to start cheap, start cheap and you will figure out where you want to spend your money first. If you get in a situation where you feel miserable, walk out. Here is some cheap stuff that will actually work.

Pack $42 Amazon.com : Stansport Deluxe Freighter Aluminum Pack Frame : External Frame Backpacks : Sports & Outdoors but old used Kelty or Camp Trails are cheaper

BRS Stove $11 BRS-3000T 25g Folding Titanium Alloy Outdoor Cooking Burner Gas Stove 2700W | eBay

Toaks 550 pot $25 Amazon.com : TOAKS Titanium 550ml Pot (New Version) : Sports & Outdoors

Down Bag $73 Amazon.com : AEGISMAX Outdoor Urltra-Light Goose Down Sleeping Bag Three-Season Down Sleeping Bag Mummy Down Sleeping Bag Green 800 Fill L180cmW78cm : Sports & Outdoors

Pad $25-30 Amazon.com : Thermarest Z Lite Sol Closed Cell Foam Mattress - Slight Cosmetic Imperfections : Sports & Outdoors

Sawyer squeeze water filter

Tent $42 https://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Sin...63060&sr=1-1&keywords=first+gear+cliff+hanger