Pup walked over a copperhead today.

*zap*

WKR
Hiking with my terrier (3.5 months) we came around a corner with the pup on a line and about 7' in front of me.....saw he was walking right over a copperhead....yanked him back and all was well. Glad it was not a timber rattler...I need to be more observant/cautious. Lots of copperheads/rattlers around here.

I was very glad he did not get bit....happened too fast for any pictures, I was more concerned with securing the dog and the snake moved right out. Once he was off trail it gets pretty thick. Glad copperheads use laying still as defense #1.

Bad chit can happen real fast....pup never saw the copperhead.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
I have been hit 2x by copperheads in the woods around here...never had my skin broke thou. once had on snake boots and the other time it only got pant...

Mosby

WKR
I have been hit 2x by copperheads in the woods around here...never had my skin broke thou. once had on snake boots and the other time it only got pant...
You were lucky. Some people think copperheads are no big deal but they would be wrong. Nothing to mess with.

It can happen fast and they are easy to walk past or over. Glad your pup is ok.

WRO

WKR
Carry some benedryl with you or have it handy, it helps with dogs and at least rattle snake bites from my experience.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Ditto on the benadryl. Hounds can take 3x the human dose This ge really lessens the skin damage from the poison as a smaller amount of flesh will rot off. My place is covered in copper heads. I’ve done the little girl dance a few to many times almost stepping on them.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
My female gsp was down the river swimming one day with my dad and brother. There was an island where the dogs like to go run around in looking for birds They heard her yelp. A while later they bring her back home and her leg is swollen like a hot dog cooked in a microwave. I have her Benedryl and took her to the e vet. They gave her fluids and didn’t have much else to say. I noticed two marks that appeared to be fang marks. Monday roles around and her legs still swollen so we go to our typical vet. The vet thinks she got bit by a spider. I highly doubt that it was a copper head no doubt in my mind. She was having some muscle break down as her urine was dark black/red which is indicative of muscle break down. She was fine after that but I don’t for one second believe she got bit by a spider.

I don't gets my GSPs out until snakes are hibernating and it's cold no risk of overheating.
Glad your pup is okay!

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the Benadryl tip. I've been hunting grouse and prairie chickens pretty hard the last week and the rattle snakes are numerous this year. The dog is snake educated and pretty cautious when she sees them but the ones she doesn't see are the ones that worry me.