Pump shotguns- Who is manufacturing the best?

The best pump guns are gone, but they're still cheap to buy on the used market and ready to serve for another few generations of use.

Check out the Winchester Model 12 in 20 gauge. For a bargain buy that works as well as anything ever made, J.C. Higgin's Model 20 is sweet shotgun. I snagged one with a bulged barrel for $90 to turn into a short-barrel shotgun. It's shockingly slick.

I have a better idea...just get a nice double. If you need a 3rd shot you ain't connecting anyways. Plus, they handle far better and are much lighter. Lets not forget they are classy. If you must do a pump, get the BPS.

My dad has a early 70's 28" solid barrel wing master that has had alot of steel shot through it with no problem. Mine is a 1979 and same thing.

If you really want a blued pump gun, I'd go either a vintage 870 Wingmaster or a Browning BPS. The Goat of pump shotguns is a Winchester model 12 if you can find a nice one for a price you can live with. I have a nice 16 ga model myself, although it rarely leaves the safe. I usually hunt with a double for upland and a Benelli auto for waterfowl.

OP I had a BPS at one time too, and while it is probably the most durable and well made pump, I thought it was clunky as well. It was a 3.5 inch gun and it just didn’t fit me well. Seemed like I was having to reach further out than what was natural for me to hold onto the handguard and pump the action.

Sometimes I regret selling it, but if I were to get another, I’d probably get a smaller 20 gauge.

Love Winchester Model 12's. The large frame 12 ga versions for clay target shooting and the small frame 16 ga, 20 ga and 28 ga guns which all utilize the same frame size for carrying in the uplands. My 1935 20 ga 26" barrel with a solid rib only weighs about 6#5oz.

Winchester made over 2 million of them from 1912 thru 1964 with a few later versions (Y-model 12 ga guns and Miroku built 20 ga and 28 ga "copies"). Parts are still generally available and short of a firing pin for the 20 ga, I haven't needed any.

Another vote for a used Winchester 1300 or sxp. I got a 20ga youth 1300 for my 13th Christmas and it’s still going 32 years and 2 sons later. I never owned another shotgun until I was in my mid twenties. A lot of 3” buckshot and 3” steel shot through that gun, never an issue of any kind.

Back