Pump shotguns- Who is manufacturing the best?

RyanT26

WKR
I understand pump shotguns are often thought as cheap entry-level guns into some point they are. Looking for a pump in a 20 gauge. I would prefer wood and blue steel.

Are the new Remington 870s as quality as they once were. Anybody who’s handled the Field Master or Wing Master is there enough difference to account for the extra money.

Looking at Ithaca 37 as well, haven’t been able to find one to handle though. I had a BPS years ago and it always felt like it was clunky.

Own a Winchester SXP in both 20g and 12g. Nothing but good things to say about them, had zero issues. Also own a SX3 from Winchester that has never had an issue. A few others have bought them off my recommendation and have had zero issues as well. Cycle all types of ammo. "Fastest pump" out there they claim. Its a small learning curve to let the slide blow back a little, but do feel it speeds up the process.

mjh

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge a few years back. Value for the money is spot on. No it's not a fine double trap or skeet gun. But the 500 is durable, usable, get's the job done. I picked it up for grouse and small game. Would work for turkey as well. Later I picked up a 18.5 barrel. I've thought about getting a rifled barrel as my state has a shotgun only zone for whitetails.

OP
RyanT26

RyanT26

WKR
Own a Winchester SXP in both 20g and 12g. Nothing but good things to say about them, had zero issues. Also own a SX3 from Winchester that has never had an issue. A few others have bought them off my recommendation and have had zero issues as well. Cycle all types of ammo. "Fastest pump" out there they claim. Its a small learning curve to let the slide blow back a little, but do feel it speeds up the process.
A Winchester 1300 was my first shotgun. Loved that gun and shot the ever loving life out of it.

Graves14

WKR
I have several Ithaca Model 37's that are everything you could want in a pump shotgun and can regularly be found for $300-$500 in great condition. Older 870 Wingmasters are also excellent. I've never gotten along with the BPS line and tend to avoid them.

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
Always been a huge fan of remington 870s just because of nostalgia and character, but if I were to buy a new pump today I'd get one of those bottom ejecting brownings.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve bought several new 870 over the last few years. Even during the “bad times.” I’ve never experienced any problems with any of them. I would buy a new 870 without hesitation.

+1 for the Winchester SXP. Although I will say if you’re a taller, long armed guy like me the LOP is a little short. Didn’t really bother me too much though once I put a bunch of layers on for a late season duck hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketRob16

Lil-Rokslider
My reccomendation is to stay far far far far far far far away from Remington. I picked up a new 870 about 12 years ago while they were still holding on to their legacy. It didn’t last 5 years. Everything else I have personally seen since then has been junk. I was in a Sportsman’s Warehouse earlier this year at the gun counter and the young sales associate showed me a Rem 700. It looked and felt like a dog turd in every way straight out of the box. I don’t think there’s any quality left there.

You couldn't pay me to shoot a newer 870, personally experienced too many issues with them. Both in the field and on the trap range. I'd snag an old used one no hesitation. Regret not buying a Wingmaster I saw on the used rack for cheap.

Teodoro

FNG
You probably know this, but while many lovely older pumps are in circulation, many aren't rated for use with steel shot. Depending on what you're hunting and where, that could matter or it might not.

If I was buying new today, it would be a BPS.

I think a true wingmaster 870 (>- mid 80's) is close to impossible to beat, depending on your needs for steel/nontox and chokes. Find one with correct barrel/choke.

A Winchester Model 12 I'd take before the 870, except there's no way you can use modern waterfowl loads without a risk. Improved cylinder or less, use steel until larger than #2 safely, more or less.

The Bertolli/Benelli Nova spaghetti gun really wasn't bad either. Tho I find them like shooting a limp noodle.

sjwfarms

WKR
a lot of waterfowl have fallen to the BPS and blind partners really appreciate the bottom eject. Never had a problem with functionality. That said, it takes some know-how to break it down and clean it, when those two little rails fall out for the first time.:ROFLMAO: Even goofy left handers can borrow it without a problem.

Also have any older 20g 870 that never acts up. Can't speak to the newer models. But like most things these days, newer is not always better.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
I have both a 20 & 12ga BPS. The 12 feels heavy but swings smooth and is pleasant to shoot with heavier loads...or as pleasant as a pump can be with heavier loads. The 20ga BPS feels much more lively and is really a very nice gun for me to carry and shoot for dove, quail, and grouse. Both are blue steel/walnut, very solid and are very smooth to cycle and seem well made.

I also have a lightly used 12ga Wingmaster from the 80's I got off the used gun rack for under $250 out the door. It is a very nice, smooth cycling, well made pump shotgun.

CorbLand

WKR
Dont buy an 870. Remington has really dropped the ball on those in the last 10 years. The new ones are terrible. When I worked at a gun counter, we got three new Remington guns, one 870 and two 700s. The 870 and one of the 700s went straight back. The second 700s went back after a customer bought it and brought it back. Horrible.

Novas are still good if you dont need to pack the gun far. They are heavy and bulking but good guns.

BPS would be my vote if you want wood.