Pulsar Axion Key XM30

Is anyone using one of these? I am wondering how far the range is in the early morning? It says it has about a 1300 yard range in darkness but I dont know how it would be affected at first light in that time just before the sun hits the hillside. Also curious if people are liking this model in general.

I have been considering a thermal but wouldnt use it enough to justify spending over $2k. I would just use it for quick scanning in the early morning. Really just need something to quickly show me there is an animal and then I can get the spotter on it.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Early morning light won’t be affecting the detection range too much if at all. Thermal units can still be used in the daytime and the only difference you may notice is a slight difference in clarity.

OP
MuleyFever
Early morning light won’t be affecting the detection range too much if at all. Thermal units can still be used in the daytime and the only difference you may notice is a slight difference in clarity.
Can this unit run off an external battery pack? Is there an option to charge from a vehicle?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It doesn’t have an external battery option. It runs off the APS 3 battery that comes with the unit that is rechargeable with the port it comes with plugging it into an outlet.

OP
MuleyFever
Does anyone have any reference to any review that states how far this thing, or the other Axion models, can realistically spot deer in early daylight?

I would be surprised if you could detect a heat signature at 1300 yards with it. I have a lot better thermal than the Axion and sometimes I can’t detect at 1000 yards. And on other occasions I saw 3 dogs coming in from a little over a mile away.

Conditions really make a big difference also. I’ve never noticed much difference between night and day though. Personally I wouldn’t buy an Axion thinking it would help me much deer hunting.