pulling a mule deer tag

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
i know very little about the tag/point system for colorado, how many PP does it take to pull what many consider a good unit or a trophy unit. im sitting on 2 points and would like to try and get a tag next year but it looking more like a few years away???

nobody

WKR
2 points you can draw a solid unit on a 2nd or 3rd rifle tag. Too many variables to answer in a super detailed manner. IMO, if hunting often is a priority, there's no need to hold onto points in states like Colorado for more than a year or two, so I say go ahead and burn them. Join an online point tracking and research platform or download all the Colorado draw odds from CPW's website and crack open an ice cold Dew and start digging, there's lots of decent tags you can draw and you'll have a great hunt on. Good luck!

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
What some might consider a good unit/hunt might take 6,8,10,12 points. Others will say 15+ points. For me, the more preference points someone has, doesnt alway equal bigger deer. The basin is a prime example of that.
You can have a good hunt with 1-2 points. Find a unit that fits the type of terrain you want to hunt, and go for it. Colorado deer herd isn’t in the best of shape, so the sooner the better IMO. My avatar pic came from a zero point unit.

TheHammer

WKR
A lot of guys are saying the big deer aren’t around anymore, well atleast compared to previous years. Sure you can turn up a giant anywhere. The unit I’m trying to get an archery tag for is a 7-8pt unit. Rifle it’s 9-10.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Jump on Go Hunt really valuable. Top trophy units 17+ point.
And you'll never catch it with 2 points, so look else where like others have said. If some day they go to random tags you'll still have less than a 1% chance of drawing. Go hunt now

I’ve done 75/751 and 74/741 for first through fourth tags, all seasons, both buck and doe. No dice. This year I just got a point since I won’t be able to hunt. Elk has been the same way.

Lytro

WKR
If you're asking these questions, I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between a "good" unit and a 1 or 2 point unit. Just find a unit you can draw and go. It's better to hunt and learn a mediocre unit every 3 years than wait and hope to draw a "good" tag. This is especially true if you don't have any western hunting experience.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done 75/751 and 74/741 for first through fourth tags, all seasons, both buck and doe. No dice. This year I just got a point since I won’t be able to hunt. Elk has been the same way.
You're doing something wrong on your app then. All of those hunts require 2 or less points to draw for a resident

I think it’s because I’m a resident, I don’t generate enough income to award me a tag. Several of my friends are in the same boat, so maybe all of us are dicked up.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
I think it’s because I’m a resident, I don’t generate enough income to award me a tag. Several of my friends are in the same boat, so maybe all of us are dicked up.
Dude you know there are guaranteed tags for residents right? even non residents can draw those hunts with 2 points. its not about the money, I can guarantee you that. With those hunts, only your first choice matters as none of them go to a second choice. What are you putting as your first choice?

1-75/751 buck, 2-75/751 doe, 3-74/741 buck, 4-74/741 doe.

I think you’re right but after the past four or so years of putting in and not drawing a tag, you begin to wonder.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
1-75/751 buck, 2-75/751 doe, 3-74/741 buck, 4-74/741 doe.

I think you’re right but after the past four or so years of putting in and not drawing a tag, you begin to wonder.
Sorry there is no way. If that was your app in 2022, with 4 points, everyone in 75/751 drew at your point level. Hell every one with 2 points drew. Are you putting in with someone that has 0 points?