Puffy Jackets

I've never worn or owned one. I've only ever hunted whitetails and turkey in southern Indiana. When/where/why would I wear one instead of a different type of jacket? For years I hunted in a Filson mackinaw. Last year I switched to a FL Solitude. I understand the ability to compress and pack it as an extra layer in the backcountry, but are there other applications where it would be superior to other jackets? Are any quiet enough for tree stand hunting?

Cyril

FNG
Weight to warmth ratio in addition to packability. I don't think you will find any synthetic insulation or wool that will provide the warmth of down at equal weight garments. These two factors are critical for backpack hunting not so much for local whitetail and turkey. If your not packing in miles, doing multi day backpack hunts or in a location where the only thing that can save you life from hypothermia is what you packed, I don't think it is worth the investment for hunting clothes.

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
Perfect situation for you is if u walk in a ways to your stand you pack puffy in. Can layer under solitude if you get a chill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7RemMag

FNG
I’m not real well versed on technical hunting apparel, However I absolutely love my Kryptek Eldax jacket. It’s a synthetic puffy material but it is incredibly warm and light. I bet it would work pretty slick for the type of hunting you’re describing.

I have a few jackets with primaloft insulation in them and they can pack small and be really warm.