Cold weather layers

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
I'm from Florida and am slowly planning an out west hunt in Colorado, Montana, or Wyoming. I've done day hikes in 40 degree weather and tree stand sits in the 40s. However, I've never been out for more than 1 day at a time and I've never been out for extended periods of time in Temps as low as single digits. I'd like a little input on layering.

I'll list what I've used and please just give me some tips on what I should add or replace.

Bottom I have and use.
FL furnace
FL Catalyst

Top I have and use
FL kiln
Grid fleece
FL catalyst jacket

For a tree stand sit I'd just throw on a sanctuary jacket or some other bulky thing but weight and pack space are valuable on a 6 day hunt. So, what should I add? Light weight rain gear for water and wind? Or a puffy jacket or puffy jacket and pants?
Is a thick merino shirt, grid fleece, and soft shell going to keep me warm if I'm hiking in 10 degrees? I love my soft shell but is it a good piece for a backpack hunt? What backup clothes should I bring? An extra base layer? An extra base and mid? Should I bring a backup pair of pants?

I know all this depends on the weather and how hot I run and a million other things, just looking for some input.

Edit:probably will be 3rd seas.on Colorado elk

Last edited:

Quest1000

FNG
A good reference is John Barklow’s website
, Instagram or YouTube. Look up his 8 piece layering system. It’s hard to give a recommendation due to not knowing the time of year and type of hunt.

Beckjhong

WKR
☝️Above is good advice. The 8 layers he mentions will get you through most conditions you’ll encounter. It also keeps it simple. You can lose days of reading opinions on here and shell out thousands. Not that either is necessarily a negative. I like the simplicity of Barklow’s take, and it works well for me.

OP
J

J.flanagan

Lil-Rokslider
I looked into his 8 layer system and it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for pointing me toward that. In a system like that, what extra stuff would you carry on a 6 day hunt? Just an extra set of base layer and a couple socks and underwear?