Puffy jackets

I’m looking to drop a truck payment on a high end puffy jacket. I’ve narrowed it down I think to the KUIU Superdown pro or the stone glacier Grumman. Just looking for any advice or thoughts on these if anyone has used one or both on the mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
I personally have the Stone Glacier and absolutely love it there down its super high-quality and extremely warm. I haven’t messed with the kuiu but I’m sure it’s great as well. If I were you, I would just look up weight specs, and fill weight and determine from there.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I got the SG Grumman Large about a month ago. I'm 5'11" 193 lbs 32 in waist and it was snug. I sent it back for an XL. I think the best deal to be had was from Blackovis. There is a gentleman on here, Evan Huffaker, who works for them. Either search ehuffaker, or you can call him at:
Evan Huffaker
Camofire.com | BlackOvis.com
2291 S. Commerce Center Dr. Suite 100
West Valley City, UT 84120
Office: 801.676.9631 - ext: 222

OP
Allen-samsal19
May want to include non-hunting brands in your search.

I’m actually running a mountain hardwear right now just looking for something warmer and stronger. I did like the outdoor research one can’t remember the name though stormfront maybe

I’m looking to drop a truck payment on a high end puffy jacket. I’ve narrowed it down I think to the KUIU Superdown pro or the stone glacier Grumman. Just looking for any advice or thoughts on these if anyone has used one or both on the mountain.

Kuiu is on sale right now.

I've had the original superdown for a few years and love it. Durable for what it is, light but doesn't overheat. I was walking my dog the other day and had the leash over my hand and in my pocket, neighbor kid through a frisbee that the dog thought he had to have. Ripped the lower end of the pocket and 6" into the jacket split. I'm going to try and sew it back but we shall see. Definitely not a manufacturer problem.

OP
Allen-samsal19
I owned a KUIU ultra vest and it was just so damn fragile I felt like if I looked at a bush the wrong way the material would rip lol

If pack-ability is not a concern the FL Chamberlin could be a contender. I'm looking at it for a late season addition to my Black Ovis puffy. I've heard it's warmer than the super down pro but not nearly as compressible.

The face and lining fabric is 12D on the Ultra vest. Face on the Pro jacket is 30D with a 12D liner. So that may alleviate that concern a bit.

The Grumman is 15D face fabric. I've read mixed reviews on how well it performs....

Last edited:

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be curious where you land @Allen-samsal19. I'm looking at both of those myself, but expanding the search to non-hunting brands as well. The SGs are made in Vietnam and the Kuiu is made in China, if that's important to you. I do like that both use treated down that is hydrophobic.

nobody

WKR
If I was buying a new puff, it would be the Stone Glacier Grumman down, sheerly because of their treated down. Most down puffy suits are useless in wet weather and can't so much as even get a droplet of water on them, or they'll lose their insulation value. When I saw this video with SG's down stuff, I became a beliver:

I'm currently saving my pennies.

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
If I was buying a new puff, it would be the Stone Glacier Grumman down, sheerly because of their treated down. Most down puffy suits are useless in wet weather and can't so much as even get a droplet of water on them, or they'll lose their insulation value. When I saw this video with SG's down stuff, I became a beliver:

This video was actually the selling point that sold me on getting their chilkoot sleeping bag. Been a great purchase thus far 20+ nights so far

Never tried the Kuiu. Have an eddie bauer though it's 650fp. I bought a SG Grumman based on reviews here. Money well spent. It's not even close to the eddie bauer. I don't think you will be upset with the SG. Just make sure you don't walk through any brush, etc.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Benjblt

WKR

Kuiu has really good water repellant down also though. The biggest difference is the heavier face fabric.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

madcalfe

WKR
id go with the arcteryx cerium SV hoody,1000g fill goose down 10oz
kuiu uses 850 fill down and their super down pro is 13.5oz
stone glacier is 850 fill down at 11.8oz

im on year 4 with my arcterytx puffy dont have a single complaint

Kudos to SG but what was demonstrated is replicable with other manufacturers and their products. This demo showed the importance of being able to "bake" your clothes dry which requires each layer to transfer the moisture to the next outer layer.

Here's the link to Sitka article: