Puffy Jackets!

FNG
I would like to see something from the Arcteryx Atom line, my favourite gear maker.

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I will post some sizing pictures of the First Lite this week, and will get out in the wind a couple of mornings with the jacket to start some of the performance aspect talk. Snow came down a bit today, and my buddy still has an elk tag burning a hole in his pocket. I have one too, but he needs to fill one of his tags, I have a cow and deer in the freezer already. If we have more than one jacket(others are in transit) I will do some video to really illustrate a few of the features.

-I really like the fit around the arms and shoulders of the Uncompahgre, provides a wide range of motion.

-It is a quiet material, even with the water resistant outer shell. Doesn't make a lot of noise, and it seems to offer plenty of freedom to do things like draw a bow.

-I lose gear on a regular basis. Not the big stuff, but little things like stuff sacks etc. The stuff sack is built into the jacket and I really like that feature, makes it very hard to lose. It is also comfortable enough to function as my pillow, a lot of other jackets in a stuff sack won't do that for me, call me picky.

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would like to see something from the Arcteryx Atom line, my favourite gear maker.

Will see what I can do. If I expand this much I may have to break it into sections, winner by category to be fair to all the jackets and manufacturers.

Lawnboi

WKR
What size do you wear?

I have a md arcteryx atom pullover that weighs in at 8oz I would add to the mix for a steal of a price if your interested.

The arcteryx would be a serious contender I think, its a nice jacket with many options on styles when you buy

Mike7

WKR
I can see the point of testing the jackets offered by the hunting specific companies, and it is difficult to really compare too many products at once. But one thing to remember is that a puffy jacket for many need not be camo. Like Yellowknife I have built up a few choices for different seasons/weather over the years. Choices that all work really well...and all were puchased for under 75-100 dollars. For instance Patagonia Micropuff for cooler weather, Marmot baffin for early archery, and for day hunting in cold weather a down Marmot Zeus (I don't trust down alone on multi-day trips as it seems to be able to rain any time here). Durability, color, wind resistance, or noise is never much of an issue for me like with other layers, as the puffy is almost ways covered by a camo rain jacket. Please try to break down ratings in categories. For a puffy I am only personally interested in warmth per wt, warm when wet, breathability/moisture management, and compressibility. Thanks for taking the time to attempt this review.

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mike 7, i agree, i don't want much more. However, if there is interest to add a few specific jackets that are benchmarks in other outdoor markets it is worth at minimum exploring.

If it gets too broad then i will break it into multiple parts.

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
tugu9eby.jpg

I just received my Kuiu Super Down Hooded Jacket and pants and wore it while filming in Breckenridge this weekend.

System:

Base layers: Kuiu and First Lite merino wool
Socks: Smartwool merino wool
Super Down tops and bottoms
Outer pants: Kuiu attack
Outer top: Kuiu spindrift

Together, I was toasty down to 10 degrees while elk hunting.

The super down was very pack able and not bulky at all.

The spindrift was great as an outer layer. It's quieter than the super down.

Really happy with the gear.

Rudy

Last edited:
OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
uploadfromtaptalk1384018142399.jpg
The Sitka and First Lite in stuff sacks, the Sitka is about twice the size.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scott,
I agree with you that in the down department there has been some major advancements in jackets. In the synthetic it has been pretty stagnant for years. Heck primaloft one has been in my mind the top performing synthetic since it's introduction in 07'. If I was writing an article, I would want to include ALL of the latest advancements in both down and synthetic. The north face just released the thermoball insulation. It is pretty cool as it is a primaloft woven in a way to mimic thermal effects of down better than before with less weight. You might want to get your hands on one! Good luck with article.

Last edited:
OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A few initial thoughts on the Sitka:

This is a very warm jacket that would be hard to get cold in. Some testing will be done in extreme winter conditions, specifically high winds on the hard water. This jacket should do well in those conditions. This environment is similar to the late season hunts that produce winds all day long with temps into the teens and 20s.

I ran the stuff sack under water and it didn't get wet at all. Very well thought out and protects the jacket well.

The down fill in the arms is very heavy, and the extremities should retain heat very easily. Mobility is the cost of the heavy insulation though. There is plenty for a cold morning glassing, but for lots of movement it could be cumbersome.

Field photos should come after this weekend.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
A few initial thoughts on the Sitka:

This is a very warm jacket that would be hard to get cold in. Some testing will be done in extreme winter conditions, specifically high winds on the hard water. This jacket should do well in those conditions. This environment is similar to the late season hunts that produce winds all day long with temps into the teens and 20s.

I ran the stuff sack under water and it didn't get wet at all. Very well thought out and protects the jacket well.

The down fill in the arms is very heavy, and the extremities should retain heat very easily. Mobility is the cost of the heavy insulation though. There is plenty for a cold morning glassing, but for lots of movement it could be cumbersome.

Field photos should come after this weekend.

Sreekers,
That is the Sitka Kelvin Down Hoody, correct?

$

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Kelvin Down Hoody is incredibly warm. I am going to have to really push it to find where it is possible to get it cold. Fortunately i live in the incredibly windy state of Wyoming and doing some glassing on a ridge in the wind and cold winter is a luxury i have.

For the most part i like the fit, but it can be a little tight on the back. For anyone who buys this jacket bear in mind that it isn't intended to be a jacket worn while hiking to the glassing point. It is meant to keep you warm once you get there, and i foresee it doing just that even when i am sweaty.

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Honestly, the noise isn't terrible on both of the jackets we have so far. I will put together a video on each jacket to post here, will cover the noise factor.

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Namack took the First Lite trying to get his elk tag filled on Veterans day. No elk down, but cold temperatures and plenty of hiking. Some of the areas he was in were knee deep snow with plenty of work while wearing the jacket. The Uncompahgre has the breathable surface, as well as the cocona technology that moves moisture out for quick drying, it lived up to it's claims.

A couple of pictures to keep things moving along. The 25 to 1 thing applies here, posing pictures alone is tough and Namack did pretty good. Pardon the grass in the first picture, not sure how that happened. Any questions, feel free to ask!

Attachments

• FL1.jpg
    FL1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC_0927.jpg
    DSC_0927.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 337
  • FL3.jpg
    FL3.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 320

Kotaman

WKR
Like I said, I own all of the original jackets listed and then some. Here are some of my thoughts:

*Sitka Kelvin Down - Awesome jacket but for me doesn't work as a puffy. I love wearing this as a casual coat though! The jacket is just too much jacket for me to consider it a "puffy" for hunting purposes unless I am using as a treestand layer jacket.

*First Lite - I've used this as an "outer puffy" on a couple hunts. Works great for that application, but is still plenty of jacket for me to be considered a true under garmet puffy. Again, awesome jacket but for me works better as an outer layer.

*Sitka Kelvin Lite - Nice jacket, nice weight compresses "ok". Though this is a nice jacket, there are better choices out there for the money.

*KUIU Spin Drift - This used to be my favorite Primoloft Puffy. Compresses nicely, works well as a inner puffy or outer layer.

*Kryptek Kratos - My new favorite synthetic puffy. Compresses well, is very light weight, fits great and just plain does it's job. Of all the puffys listed, this is my second favorite.

*KUIU Superdown - I have all three of these and they each have their own place in my "puffy arsenal". To me, these are in a class by themselves. Super light, they compress fantastic and they just plain work. They are also very warm. In fact they are too warm to hike in. Overall, I have yet to find anything I like better. Awesome product.

On late season hunts I am now carrying a KUIU Superdown as an inner puffy, the First Lite or Spin Drift as an outer puffy in addition to the Super Down pants. The stuff weighs so little and takes up so little room I see no reason to not carry all three. On a recent October sheep hunt in BC, I typically wore the Super Down with my KUIU Yukon Jacket for the 2 hours horseback ride everyday. For hiking, I'd remove the SD. While glassing on a windswept snowy mountain side, I would put the Super Down, Yukon AND First LIte Jacket on along with the Super Down pants! I was never cold in some horrible conditions.

If you only want one puffy to do it all, I would go with the KUIU Super Down. TO me the KUIU SD is in a class by itself.