Puffy jacket and pants

Does anyone have any economical suggestions for puffy jacket and pants? Most of my hunting isn’t in extreme cold, but I need a new light weight cold weather system. I was looking at under armor, they are on sale for about $150 each. Any suggestions around that price range or cheaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Eddie Bauer evertherm hooded jacket that I’ve really loved. It doesn’t have baffles like a traditional down jacket; it’s like a thin layer throughout the whole thing. Not sure if that’s a real benefit or anything, but I like it.

It’s pretty warm, has held up for over 4 years now and their stuff is almost always on sale. If not, they have cheaper down options for $150 or less. Plus they make tall sizes, which may or may not matter to you.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I was really intrigued by the Evertherm, but ultimately decided against it because there were too many reviews saying it wasn’t warm enough, and IIRC it was also heavy.

OP - I got a Marmot Highlander on sale last year for less than $150 (I think it was about $100, actually). Pretty good quality for the price.

Honestly if you don’t need the top of the line you’re going to have to spend A LOT more than this to get much meaningful improvement

Puffy pants are kind of a niche item that most people probably don’t need. If you’re certain you do, same idea buy something like that REI jacket.

There’s a pretty sweet spreadsheet if you google Down Jacket database Reddit where you can sort by all kinds of variables. Most useful to me is warmth/$. That REI jacket is #2 in the lightweight category. There’s a mid weight database as well if you’re looking for stationary warmth below 20 degrees.

Last edited:
I don’t wear the insulated pants nearly as much as the jacket so with that budget I’d personally spend $15 on eBay buying M65 pant liners (long versions)

Use remaining funds on any non hunting brand down jacket with at least 750 fill power and ideally treated down.

Last edited:

dct73

FNG
Take a look at the black ovis anchor point jacket and pants 800 fill down lightweight

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The black ovis set is a good economical choice just be aware the material is not for brush busting.

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a pair of beyond’s synthetic puffy pants on eBay for tree stand hunting, etc and they were about $120 new. I’m pretty impressed with them. Definitely bulky, but packs down well, has side zippers, some elastic in the waist, a couple pockets and they seem super warm

Rd7fox

FNG
I too have heard good things about Eddie Bauer gear. I have some of their causal wear items and they are nice. There is an Eddie Bauer outlet near me and their sales are really good.
Wish I could be of more help with their gear for hunting, Google is your helpline here.