Puffy coats

CRAGGAR

FNG
After losing 30+ lbs. I am going to have to purchase alot of new camo clothing.I am looking at 3 puffys and was wanting opinons on those that have these.Kifaru Lost Parka,KuiU superdown and the Firstlite uncompahgre.Any info would be apprecciated.

no experience with either of those garments but just wanted to say congrats on losing the weight!

thanks mountainman!! It has been tough but at 55 years young i had to make the changes if i wanted to continue doing the things that i love.

I have had the kifaru and the uncompharge, as well as the cirrus puffy. The kifaru is bombproof the warmest and also the heaviest, the uncompharge is the middle of the road is really warm. And the cirrus is the lightest lacks a hood but is still really warm but the least of the three. I wouldn't plan on hiking in any of these but for sitting down and glassing or early camp mornings depending upon the time of the year they are all awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have and used the lost parka for last years late season hunt. It is bulkier and heavier than you would expect. also, the material is slick so my pack belt would shift around. Warmth: very warm, to warm to hike in. Fit: man size, XL fit me perfectly. It's hanging in my closet and I have been debating on if it's going hunting this year. I found that I preferred layering my Kryptek gear VS wearing just this. I am new to Firstlite having purchased a few accessories this year and I have been very impressed with quality and function. The few things I have from them have become immediate favorites and are used on all my cool weather excursions.

I have the FL and the Kifaru. They really don't overlap in purpose all that much so which cost you should get it completely up to your hunting style. For active hunting you should get either the Cirrus or Uncompaghre, which one should depend more on temps you expect to be in and your preference on hood or not. The Kifaru is a sleeping bag that you wear. It will only be used in the coldest of conditions when either glassing, still hunting or hiking downhill only.

As far as sizing, it's all over the board. I wear an XL-T t-shirt most of the time and wear a L Uncompaghre, XL Cirrus (although I sold it because it was too short yet bulky in the gut) and a XXL Lost Park Parka (which fits perfect in the chest and in length, a little bulky in the gut but not bad).

I have the Uncompaghre and Superdown, the Uncompaghre is heavier, sturdier and warmer, the Superdown is lightweight, almost fragile and more like a sweater. I can wear the Uncompaghre as outerwear but the Kuiu I use only as a mid layer. Both nice pieces of gear, depends on what purpose you want them for.

The Kuiu Superdown is warm and surprisingly water resistant. Took it to Ireland in January, and never got to wear it. The girlfriend stole it for the whole trip. She was warm and toasty! It isn't very quiet, and being down vs the synthetic of the others, you won't want to rely on it for an outer layer if it rains or you are going through wet brush. The tradeoff is that it is really light weight, and packs down very small.

I got the hooded jacket, and wish I had gotten the one without a hood to simplify layering a hardshell over it.

I have the FL and the Kifaru. They really don't overlap in purpose all that much so which cost you should get it completely up to your hunting style. For active hunting you should get either the Cirrus or Uncompaghre, which one should depend more on temps you expect to be in and your preference on hood or not. The Kifaru is a sleeping bag that you wear. It will only be used in the coldest of conditions when either glassing, still hunting or hiking downhill only.

As far as sizing, it's all over the board. I wear an XL-T t-shirt most of the time and wear a L Uncompaghre, XL Cirrus (although I sold it because it was too short yet bulky in the gut) and a XXL Lost Park Parka (which fits perfect in the chest and in length, a little bulky in the gut but not bad).

I also have the First lite and the Kifaru but Havnt used the Kifaru yet, My sizing is also exactly like yours. I carry the first lite with me almost all the time because it packs so small that its an easy piece of insurance, the Kifaru is going to be a go to this year though for everything I do.

Like others said, the kifaru dosent really compare to the other puffy jackets, its way more heavy duty than the first lite or the kuiu.

I wasn't impressed with the FL, maybe i didn't wear it with the system, i just put it on at camp and shivered in some mild conditions.
The KIFARU LPP is pretty bulky for what it is but if the shit hits the fan and you need to warm up fast to keep from dying you will be glad you had it. Its a heat trap.

As far as sizing the LPP i found to be similar to sitka gear. Tighter in the chest than the firstlite. But then you aren't going to do much layering under the kifaru unless you are trying to dry out some cloths.

I just recently bought the Kifaru LPP. I figured I need a puffy to be warm and if no I can get by with my hoodies and stuff when I'm on the move. Also, I heard it was a lot tougher than all the other brands. Still waiting for it to come in the mail, but I based my purchase on durability and the need to get warm. Just food for thought.

Have the first lite and just got the new Kuiu super down. My first lite has been awesome light and warm. Not so sure on the Kuiu yet since I haven't had a chance to try it out but it is super light so not sure how warm it will be. Both are nice and my first lite has held up good for 4 years now.

Back