puffer

Djaworow

FNG
best puffer to wear under a kuiu guide jacket for colder windy weather in 20-30 degree range that isnt too thick or thin?

I'd get a breathable synthetic - more like a midlayer. Think Stone Glacier Cirque, Kuiu Kenai, Sitka Ambient, Arc'teryx Atom LT, Patagonia Nano-Air, OR Deviator, Dive Bomb Airweight, Pnuma Vertx (not that breathable).

@mtwarden probably has some others to list.

best puffer to wear under a kuiu guide jacket for colder windy weather in 20-30 degree range that isnt too thick or thin?

for moving or sitting?

for moving, the ones listed by @Bump79 should get you started- basically all active insulation pieces

for sitting it needs to be warmer, static insulation pieces-lots of down options, for synthetic options something along the lines of the Sitka Kelvin Aerolite or the Kifaru LPP

I don’t like a puffy as my mid layer or under any garment at all really. All it seems to do is compress the insulation and not let the jacket do its job.

For me, a puffy is used to get me warm fast and keep me warm. I’m not interested in a “technical puffy” that’s an oxymoron to me, there are way better pieces for non static insulation.

Both of my dedicated hunting puffys (Nunatak Down and Kifaru Synthetic) would sweat me out within 5 minutes of moving even in super cold temps.

The setup below works incredibly well as a top half “system” for year round scouting and hunting…

Firstlite Wick Hoody Base
Patagonia R1 Air Full Zip Hoody Mid
Patagonia Houdini Wind/Light Rain Jacket
Kifaru LPP or Nunatak Custom Puffy
Swazi Tahr or Grundens Jacket for Rain

The first 3 items on the list never leave my pack or body. The puffys and rain jackets stay home depending on the trip. Usually carry one of them in the pack as an emergency layer even if weather doesn’t call for needing them.

for moving or sitting?

for moving, the ones listed by @Bump79 should get you started- basically all active insulation pieces

for sitting it needs to be warmer, static insulation pieces-lots of down options, for synthetic options something along the lines of the Sitka Kelvin Aerolite or the Kifaru LPP
Im good when im hiking in, but get cold when sitting

I don’t like a puffy as my mid layer or under any garment at all really. All it seems to do is compress the insulation and not let the jacket do its job.

For me, a puffy is used to get me warm fast and keep me warm. I’m not interested in a “technical puffy” that’s an oxymoron to me, there are way better pieces for non static insulation.

Both of my dedicated hunting puffys (Nunatak Down and Kifaru Synthetic) would sweat me out within 5 minutes of moving even in super cold temps.

The setup below works incredibly well as a top half “system” for year round scouting and hunting…

Firstlite Wick Hoody Base
Patagonia R1 Air Full Zip Hoody Mid
Patagonia Houdini Wind/Light Rain Jacket
Kifaru LPP or Nunatak Custom Puffy
Swazi Tahr or Grundens Jacket for Rain

The first 3 items on the list never leave my pack or body. The puffys and rain jackets stay home depending on the trip. Usually carry one of them in the pack as an emergency layer even if weather doesn’t call for needing them.
this is awesome! going to look into all of this

I'd get a breathable synthetic - more like a midlayer. Think Stone Glacier Cirque, Kuiu Kenai, Sitka Ambient, Arc'teryx Atom LT, Patagonia Nano-Air, OR Deviator, Dive Bomb Airweight, Pnuma Vertx (not that breathable).

@mtwarden probably has some others to list.
thank you for the list!

For something sitting in 20-30 degrees I think the Stone Glacier Cirque and Arcteryx Atom LT would both be worth looking into. Under the Kuiu Guide (an over a base layer) you should be plenty snug.

In a pinch either would serve as active insulation in hunting situations where you aren’t overly exerting.

Back