Ptarmigan in Alaska

Hi Everyone ,
Wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska next year , using a travel trailer seeing the sights , fishing etc.
Ill be bringing my two Drahts along . Hoping to hunt some Ptarmigan and ruffed grouse along the way . My question is never being to Alaska , how realistic is it that I can actually get into these birds from the road , preferably without a guide , but would consider a guide for a day or two as well.
Im guessing I may have to hike in off the road a ways which is fine ,just not sure how relistic im being never being there .
looking forward to any and all advise .
Thanks

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
What time of year? What highways will you be driving on? I've killed lots right off of the road system, but there are areas that certainly see less pressure (like zero) than others.

OP
F
Im in the beginning stages of planning , I believe august-sept time frame , thought season opens sometime in august . I have no idea what roads Ill be going on or when during the trip but , getting some knowledge and input would help to be in the right areas at the right time , I have no schedule at this point , one of the reasons Im reaching out here is to get a plan together.
Thanks for responding

Tod osier

WKR
Hi Everyone ,
Wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska next year , using a travel trailer seeing the sights , fishing etc.
Ill be bringing my two Drahts along . Hoping to hunt some Ptarmigan and ruffed grouse along the way . My question is never being to Alaska , how realistic is it that I can actually get into these birds from the road , preferably without a guide , but would consider a guide for a day or two as well.
Im guessing I may have to hike in off the road a ways which is fine ,just not sure how relistic im being never being there .
looking forward to any and all advise .
Thanks

I've done it with OK success. What I'll say is that when you get advice as to spots, you will get a lot of community holes that everyone knows about. I'll also say that in the places I tried that getting way off the road (and motorized trails) makes a big difference, this can also mean getting behind an obstacle fairly near the road like a river.

OP
F
If you will be bringing your own gun(s) with you and planning to drive through Canada you'll want to be familiar and prepared for the latest forms and fees.

Here is a link to a site that can get you started in the right direction as your making your plans.

https://www.temporaryresidentpermitcanada.com/guns.php

Best of luck to you for your upcoming trip!
Yes , I am aware of this , thanks for bringing it up with the link .

OP
F
I've done it with OK success. What I'll say is that when you get advice as to spots, you will get a lot of community holes that everyone knows about. I'll also say that in the places I tried that getting way off the road (and motorized trails) makes a big difference, this can also mean getting behind an obstacle fairly near the road like a river.
I am willing to hike in some , for sure , thanks .

Your plan is extremely doable. My best advice to you is to research the habitat and elevation preferences for each species in the regions you're planning to be in. Usually, if you haven't found ptarmigan, you're not high enough in elevation yet. That time of year, willows will be at the lowest elevation (look at the heads of drainages with running water at the top of the brush line), with whitetails and rocks duking it out for who is higher. Whitetails tend to stick close to water, rocks not so much. Lots of people don't realize that the "cover" for whitetails and rocks is rarely plants. It's the boulders and scree. Pay attention to terrain breaks and transitions, and go have a riot!

KurtR

WKR
Your plan is extremely doable. My best advice to you is to research the habitat and elevation preferences for each species in the regions you're planning to be in. Usually, if you haven't found ptarmigan, you're not high enough in elevation yet. That time of year, willows will be at the lowest elevation (look at the heads of drainages with running water at the top of the brush line), with whitetails and rocks duking it out for who is higher. Whitetails tend to stick close to water, rocks not so much. Lots of people don't realize that the "cover" for whitetails and rocks is rarely plants. It's the boulders and scree. Pay attention to terrain breaks and transitions, and go have a riot!
Do you ever run into griz while in the willows out hunting? Makes our random rattle snake seem pretty small to deal with.

Do you ever run into griz while in the willows out hunting? Makes our random rattle snake seem pretty small to deal with.
It happens from time to time, but pretty much always they are a good distance out and never have given us any issues. Early season in August and beginning of September the bears are down along the salmon streams and there aren't really ptarmigan in that zone. More to mid September as bears transition to berries in the upland tundra is when we start seeing bears while ptarmigan hunting. And up there, its pretty wide open with very little cover to hide a big bear, so you usually see them a long ways out.

I'll take grizz and moose over danger noodles every time. Pretty hard to accidentally step on a grizzly.

KurtR

WKR

I saw one yesterday while ptarmigan hunting. It was a mile across the valley and running away. I’ll occasionally make some extra noise when working thicker cover from downwind but don’t really worry about it much especially if I’ve been shooting and yelling at the dogs. But also 100% take bears over danger noodles (and ticks for that matter).

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
Be ready for porcupine encounters.
Maybe your Drahts are broke to them, but there are lots of porcupines in grouse habitat.
Might not be a bad idea to establish a relationship with a vet prior to coming up.
The more remote you go, the further from vet services you are.

OP
F
Umm, I wish they were broke of porcupines , my older one 4yo had his day with one , my 1-1/2 yo has not got into porcupines yet , we have ground hogs where I live in Pa but no porcupines. We do travel to where they are tho.
Yes , having some vet phone numbers handy is a def , as well as some meds /first aid

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
See if you can't get your hands on some trazadone and acepromazine prior to going.
If you're flying they prescribe them, but I'd recommend having some xtras on hand incase you need to calm them down and pluck some quills.

z987k

WKR
I've had pretty bad luck getting into them from the road. I don't think I've ever shot one from where I can get my truck to. 4 wheeler for sure. I guess you could hike where the wheeler goes, just take a lot longer.
Off the road system you'll run into flocks of hundreds upon hundreds.
Bring a suppressed 22 rifle and sight it in for subs.