PSE Omen

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider

PSE releasing the fastest bow again probably for the second year in a row during the summer. Supposedly the draw cycle on the Omen is much better than the levitate.

Marble

WKR
With a 5.5 inch brace height I'll pass. I think that would be tough for the normal hunter to shoot well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I got an Omen the other day. My first compound since owning a Mathews NoCam for about a year in 2018 and then accidentally dry firing it and blowing it up. Been using trad bows since then.

I was keen on the Omen ever since I saw Aron Snyder talking about how it was super fast and efficient with the S2 cam for people with short draws. My first compound I pulled 26.5in with, another one I borrowed (briefly) was set to 27in, and now I have the Omen set to 27.5in.

I had some friends try to steer me clear of the Omen because of the way they believed the draw cycle would be, and the idea that the short brace height would be problematic. Mostly Mathews fans and they thought I'd be happier with a V3X.

Another friend who knows his compound stuff said to get the Omen even though it may be 'less forgiving' than other bows because I'm so used to trad bows, including a couple of ASL's, any of the newer compounds compared to the NoCam and old Hoyt Defiant would be an absolute walk in the park anyway.

It's 70# and set to 27.5in draw length. The S2 cam does draw a little stiff and has a definite dump at the back end but by the end of the afternoon I was drawing it confidently. Once I was at full draw it felt really steady to hold and there wasn't really anything bad about the shot. It felt great but I don't have much to compare it to either.

I put my old HHA single pin sliding sight on it and a blank piece of tape and wrote on it with a pen while at the club mucking around with it today. It's also got a Hamskea Epsilon and a quivalizer. I was using a Scott Samurai wrist rocket.

Arrows are 300 spine Evolusion Tomahawks cut to 27.5in with the 85gn insert/outsert on the front. Using 125gn points and three vanes, I believe the arrows are likely around the 490gn mark. I don't know how fast they're going but the gaps on my sight tape indicate they're moving nicely.

I found this thing an absolute piece of cake to shoot. I surprised the heck out of myself, but my last few years of shooting trad bows have helped my form develop a lot and it honestly felt like cheating with this thing.

Here is a group I shot at 48 metres (52-53 yards). there are five arrows in there.

I'm still going to shoot my trad bows but I know I'm going to have a lot of fun with this PSE.

Old post but curious if anyone has read world feedback on the omen
I got an Omen the other day. My first compound since owning a Mathews NoCam for about a year in 2018 and then accidentally dry firing it and blowing it up. Been using trad bows since then.

I was keen on the Omen ever since I saw Aron Snyder talking about how it was super fast and efficient with the S2 cam for people with short draws. My first compound I pulled 26.5in with, another one I borrowed (briefly) was set to 27in, and now I have the Omen set to 27.5in.

I had some friends try to steer me clear of the Omen because of the way they believed the draw cycle would be, and the idea that the short brace height would be problematic. Mostly Mathews fans and they thought I'd be happier with a V3X.

Another friend who knows his compound stuff said to get the Omen even though it may be 'less forgiving' than other bows because I'm so used to trad bows, including a couple of ASL's, any of the newer compounds compared to the NoCam and old Hoyt Defiant would be an absolute walk in the park anyway.

It's 70# and set to 27.5in draw length. The S2 cam does draw a little stiff and has a definite dump at the back end but by the end of the afternoon I was drawing it confidently. Once I was at full draw it felt really steady to hold and there wasn't really anything bad about the shot. It felt great but I don't have much to compare it to either.

I put my old HHA single pin sliding sight on it and a blank piece of tape and wrote on it with a pen while at the club mucking around with it today. It's also got a Hamskea Epsilon and a quivalizer. I was using a Scott Samurai wrist rocket.

Arrows are 300 spine Evolusion Tomahawks cut to 27.5in with the 85gn insert/outsert on the front. Using 125gn points and three vanes, I believe the arrows are likely around the 490gn mark. I don't know how fast they're going but the gaps on my sight tape indicate they're moving nicely.

I found this thing an absolute piece of cake to shoot. I surprised the heck out of myself, but my last few years of shooting trad bows have helped my form develop a lot and it honestly felt like cheating with this thing.

Here is a group I shot at 48 metres (52-53 yards). there are five arrows in there.

I'm still going to shoot my trad bows but I know I'm going to have a lot of fun with this PSE.
Great write-up! I share many of the concerns about draw cycle and forgiveness due to the brace height but I was curious how some real-world shooters felt.

Cheers mate.

I'm not a 'compound bloke' so I can't really comment much about it compared to other compounds on the market. I just know that despite the specs suggesting it wasn't very forgiving, I picked it up and was shooting it very well (for me) within an hour or two. Maybe if I picked up some other new bows I'd feel a big difference but honestly, once I got to full draw I felt like everything was money. A lot of fun.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Someone read my mind! I was literally about to post my testing results from today for my omen I bought a month ago…

Bow is at 80lb with a 29 inch draw legnth. I got about 250shots in to break strings in before testing today.

Was shooting match grade 4mm axis long range, wraps, and 3 TAC Driver 2.75in vanes with a 2 degree offset. I was shooting 100gr field points but three had 50gr iron will HIT inserts and three with 75gr inserts.

CF476AF4-6C05-4E8C-9F7D-1134861E13B1.jpeg

In total, I had one set of arrows that averaged 452gr and 477gr.

The 452gr arrows had an average speed of 323fps with top speed of 324fps.

67CBEDF9-B96D-4E59-AF8A-21387925B850.jpeg

The 477gr arrows averaged 315fps with a top speed of 316.

D56482CE-A240-4B4E-8928-436F73718339.jpeg

My other bow is a 2018 PSE Xpedite. The Omen has 10 additional lbs of draw weight over my Xpedite. Outside of the additional draw weight, the Omen is more balanced and a more stable shooting platform. After a lot of shots and sighting in bow, I took it out to 60yds and was driving nails with it.

12620A0C-860C-4590-BC8F-788822AAFC03.jpeg

My final thoughts are that I love the bow. Basically seems like a more stable version of my Xpedite. Looking forward to taking it out to New Mexico in January to see if it’s capable of putting a hurting on a muley…

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think brace height is as big a deal as people make it out to be.

I had a 6.5BH bow, bought an xpedite nxt (5.5BH), and shooting them side by side didn't notice any difference in my groups.

Got a 7BH target bow a while back and honestly hard to tell the difference in groups from my xpedite.

An omen is going to be my next bow to replace the xpedite.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think brace height is as big a deal as people make it out to be.

I had a 6.5BH bow, bought an xpedite nxt (5.5BH), and shooting them side by side didn't notice any difference in my groups.

Got a 7BH target bow a while back and honestly hard to tell the difference in groups from my xpedite.

An omen is going to be my next bow to replace the xpedite.

If you shoot an Xpedite, my gut tells me you will be impressed with the Omen.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Have you shot both? I own 2 xpedit nxt but haven't had a chance to try an omen yet.

The Xpedite has been my go to hunting bow since 2018 until earlier this month when I bought the Omen. The Omen to me is a more stable version of the Xpedite.

Shot my bow a lot more yesterday afternoon at the club. It was windy as hell and I was mucking around with a hinge for the first time which is set WAY too cold. It made for some challenging shooting but good practice with holding for a long time. got a new hinge on the way so looking forward to giving that a crack. Might keep score with some friends this weekend and post how I go in this thread.

Another picture, just because.

josef

FNG
Have you guys measured your center shot on these? Mine is shooting well (bullet holes) and its measuring ~13/16" off the riser right now but thats a ways off my hamskea epsilon being centered. I am just curious if that is everyone else's experience.

I had it setup by my friend at the shop, and then proceeded to stuff it up when I got to the club because rather than adjust the sight for windage I started adjusting the rest. I know, I'm a moron. I put it back roughly to where it was (I think) and it mostly behaves now but I will need to redo things soon. n00b alert.

Having said all that, can anyone show how the Epsilon is supposed to attach to the back of the riser? We tried to organise it with the parts in the box and it didn't work so I've got this rest on the side of the riser like it would be with any other bow. Not sure if we need an extra part or not? Would like to mount it to the back of the riser once I find out what the issue is to save having to tune it more than is necessary.

josef

FNG
You need the core kit. The REST5007 part gets bolted to the side of the riser and the rest clamps to that.

1669074757705.png

Thanks for that, mate.

I'm ordering the part so hopefully I can make the adjustments soon. By the time it gets here I will have shot the bow a bunch and it'll likely need to be re-tuned anyway.

Hopefully going to shoot an ABA round on the weekend with it and keep score. I shot 342/400 the other day, which I was mostly pleased with. All the bad shots were easy to diagnose, with me mis-judging yardage being a small percentage of them and me holding far too long while being blown around by the wind trying to get my hinge to go off were the majority. Haha. I had a blast, though. Keen to see what Sunday brings.

Hi all,

I may have some tuning questions specifically for this bow in the near future, if anyone might be able to help?

I accidentally moved the rest a little but the bow was mostly shooting fine afterwards. The occasional kick of an arrow at distance probably came down to me torquing the string at release.

I took it back to my local shop and had my friend tune it again but he forgot I moved the rest so he made adjustments to the top cam (shimmed it). Bottom cam has been shimmed a bit already with the original tune. He has a picture of a nice bullet hole through paper but now when I shoot the bow at distance I see a lot of horrible arrow flight.

Is there anything that may explain a bullet hole in close when tuning but erratic arrow flight out further, besides the differences in the way we both grip and shoot the bow?

The cam lean is fairly big. He said he can't yoke tune this bow and my knowledge is very limited so I don't know why it is supposedly much harder to tune than other bows he has experience with.

At this stage I have to rely on friends as I have no bow press or understanding of how to do these things myself, although I'm hoping to get there in the future.

josef

FNG
Do you know where your shims are at? I believe stock for a right handed bow is one small shim, one medium on the left side of the cams. There should be "fill" on the right side. For my bow that is one large shim and two small shims.

Is your arrow at or near center shot? If you have a stabilizer installed on the front is it running parallel to the arrow when its on the rest? Before I added some twists to my yokes I was able to get bullet holes by simply moving the rest it was way off of center shot. The arrow when on the rest was pointed way right of parallel.

I was able to remove a left tear from my bow by adding twists to both top and bottom left cable yokes and removing twists from the right cable yokes. The cables go through that weird cross/twist plastic piece which might be why your friend doesnt think he can yoke tune.