PSA:Remember to Slow Down

This is so true and I'm so bad at it. For some reason I cannot slow down. Always feel like I have to hurry to get there, I have to hurry to make lunch etc.
Stressful in nature, I guess.

The Norwegian adventurer Lars Monsen said that, especially during winter when nights are long. Calm down, slow down and try to enjoy the moment and the fact that there's no need to stress out there.

This is so true and I'm so bad at it. For some reason I cannot slow down. Always feel like I have to hurry to get there, I have to hurry to make lunch etc.
Stressful in nature, I guess.

The Norwegian adventurer Lars Monsen said that, especially during winter when nights are long. Calm down, slow down and try to enjoy the moment and the fact that there's no need to stress out there.
I was called out this weekend while hunting with my wife. When I get something in my mind , I get so focused on getting there that I forget to just stop and enjoy the time. That unfortunately is one of the reasons that my daughters lost interest in hunting .

I appreciate the PSA. I have a few years until my oldest will be tagging along, and I do wonder what it's going to be like. Sitting in a tree stand with her is one thing, actually hiking the hills with her will be another. I want it to be fun and exciting and not boring. I hope I can find that balance......we shall see.

I was called out this weekend while hunting with my wife. When I get something in my mind , I get so focused on getting there that I forget to just stop and enjoy the time. That unfortunately is one of the reasons that my daughters lost interest in hunting .
Exactly. It's so weird why we're wired this way.

I grew up with a dad who loved being out but I cannot believe he didn't burn me out. We always took his "shortcuts" and ended up hiking so much longer than it should have taken. :)

Exactly. It's so weird why we're wired this way.

I grew up with a dad who loved being out but I cannot believe he didn't burn me out. We always took his "shortcuts" and ended up hiking so much longer than it should have taken. :)
For me, I think its an anxiety thing. I'm always worried that if I'm not the first one on the hill that I won't be able to find a spot to camp or If I stop to eat lunch before I get up to a saddle or summit, I'm gonna miss that bull or buck crossing through. According to my wife, we can't run on caffeine and adrenaline all weekend.

I appreciate the PSA. I have a few years until my oldest will be tagging along, and I do wonder what it's going to be like. Sitting in a tree stand with her is one thing, actually hiking the hills with her will be another. I want it to be fun and exciting and not boring. I hope I can find that balance......we shall see.
I take my 5 year old out with me now. We mostly just find good glassing spots and hike a few miles on old logging roads. Just count on lots of time spent stopping to eat snacks or throw sticks/rocks.

I just turn into a mt lion in the woods. Easy pace, hyper alert, careful not to give myself away, move without cover...completely focused on the hunt. Time passes quickly and my worries are left at home. Just living in the moment. That's my place of peace.

screen.jpg

Heading out tomorrow for a week with my 15 yr old and 11 yr old. High pressure public land. My only expectation is to enjoy my time with those two kids. Filling the freezer would be icing on the cake. My mentality has changed a lot as I’ve aged.

Heading out tomorrow for a week with my 15 yr old and 11 yr old. High pressure public land. My only expectation is to enjoy my time with those two kids. Filling the freezer would be icing on the cake. My mentality has changed a lot as I’ve aged.
Lucky you, enjoy it, I miss those days.

I’m headed back up next weekend with my wife for an extra wt doe tag she has. Then back up the week after that with my middle daughter for her muley draw tag. It’s so cool hanging out with your adult children! Then back up again to take my father in law out for whitetail. He doesn’t have many hunts left, so I really want to make sure he has a good hunt. I finally get to hunt for myself in December. I can hunt as hard and fast as I want then!

Taking my 16yr old son along on a Colorado 4th season elk hunt this November. I think this will be the first hunt with one of my kids that I won't have to slow down. According to him he is "going to outwalk the old man"

For me, I think its an anxiety thing. I'm always worried that if I'm not the first one on the hill that I won't be able to find a spot to camp or If I stop to eat lunch before I get up to a saddle or summit, I'm gonna miss that bull or buck crossing through. According to my wife, we can't run on caffeine and adrenaline all weekend.
Same here! Even driving to the trailhead is stressful to be the first one :)

Just a friendly reminder to remember to slow down and breathe it all in when you’re on the hill.
Enjoy the moment, especially you fellas with youngsters in tow.
No little ones, but can speak towards many of the outing with my own dad and this is a very important mindset to have. My dad has only recently, with all of his children grown or nearing, obtained this outlook. This is not to say that there weren’t any fun times, but the majority of the trips he was always burrowed into the mission at hand.

It seems lately I've had hard hunts, and the last day or two I shift into "gratitude mode." Just try to be present, open, and thankful for the opportunity. I don't give up by any means, but I'm open to taking something from the mountain other than meat and antlers. There are so many things to be thankful for, so many I'm sure I forget a few even. Life outside with a bow in your hand is so damned precious.

Back