PSA - don’t wash waterproof clothing in machine !!!

Even tho clothing instructions for Goretex and other waterproof clothing state that you can “machine wash”, I highly recommend against it. Especially older clothing.

Nikwax and most major brands state “machine wash” for reapplying waterproofing and cleaning.

Throughout the last 20 years, I’ve had three jackets fall apart after following manufacturer instructions. I will now hand wash in sink.

Two of those jackets were replaced when I sent photos to Arcteryx, but now I have another jacket that fell apart in the brand new washing machine (and also made a mess in the washer and with particles onto another garment I was attempting to re-apply Nikwax waterproofing)

Hand wash for cleaning and re-waterproofing from here on out in my kitchen sink !!!!

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Fool me 3x, I’m just an idiot lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Never had a problem with a front loader. Would not use a top loader though.

OP
snowymtnwolf
I think clothing that is fairly new (only a few years old) does fine. But more than a few years, the material starts to degrade making it more susceptible to breakdown and seals/materials falling apart.

So sad to see some of my still “good” jackets fall apart when I open washer.

feanor

WKR
What exactly did they do? Delaminate or come apart at the seams? They just sent you a new jacket from photos you took?

OP
snowymtnwolf
Two delaminated. This last one had a smaller layer paper-thin Goretex material disintegrate, leaving thousands of tiny white flakes all over material and throughout washer (kinda like when you wash paper in a pocket by mistake).

Took pictures of jacket and manufacture tag and sent it into the warranty department. And then after a few weeks they told me it shouldn’t have happened and that they’d send me brand new jacket.

i recently had a marmot precip disintegrate (white liner layer got all crinkly and started shedding into little pieces) when i machine washed delicate trying to rewaterproof with nikwax so I would agree and will hand wash as well from here on out. marmot did warranty for full price credit which was cool of them

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have been machine washing my waterproof/breathable garments frequently for years without unreasonable issue.

A few keys:

1. Front load washer.

2. Turn inside out.

3. Wash cold.

4. Use Atsko Sport-Wash detergent.

This keeps ‘Em looking like new and the DWR beading up as intended.

Mrdeuce

FNG
I really do think that the machine matters. But I've had pretty good experience with nik wax on my arcteryx stuff. as far as goretex their warranty is phenomenal I've had shoes and jackets replaced after losing waterproofing