Proof Research VS. Bergara CURE Carbon Barrel ?

BSeals71

WKR
Looking at buying either the Bergara Premier MgLite, or the Savage 110 Ultraligh / Proof Research barrel (then change the stock). I like both.

Anyone have experience with comparing these two different barrels?

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I've only used Proof and Bartlein for CF wrapped. Both good kit... the former is 6.5 CM, the latter was .30-06. Both average(d) about .65" for five shots @ 100 yds. Sometimes I might end up closer to 1", sometimes might get a real bragger out of it.

That being said, between Savage and Bergara, I take the Bergara every day of the week.

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
Bergara/XLR vs Savage? Might as well throw Mossberg in the mix!

Bergara all day long.

HOWEVER, for that price I'd give the new Fierce mountain reaper a look, or go custom build...

OP
BSeals71

BSeals71

WKR
Bergara/XLR vs Savage? Might as well throw Mossberg in the mix!

Bergara all day long.

HOWEVER, for that price I'd give the new Fierce mountain reaper a look, or go custom build...

Really what I’m trying to compare is the carbon Proof barrel vs Bergara carbon. Just heard from a guy who sold his Fierce Reaper for a different rifle with a proof barrel.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking at buying either the Bergara Premier MgLite, or the Savage 110 Ultraligh / Proof Research barrel (then change the stock). I like both.

The MG lite we have is shooting a random load at about 1/2". Very small sample size but I have heard a lot of shooters say they are performing great! I also have a custom build with a proof barrel and it shoots great too! Either way you will be very happy! I know that you are wanting to compare the barrels more than anything but out of the two options you have listed, the Bergara action is going to be far smoother than the savage and you will get a 700 footprint chassis that you could also use if you ever wanted to upgrade to a custom action!

Flyjunky

WKR

What caliber are you looking at?

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
Savage UL has a gritty action and a good feeling but still tupperware flexi stock (you said you'd replace). That said, it's light and the one a family member owns in 6.5prc I've loaded for and 2 friends rifles flat out shoot amazing.

I'm saying that as a guy that doesn't care for Savages. I've seen these rifles print group after group that we just shake our heads. As others have said it's a $300 rifle with a $1000 barrel.

Personally I've not experienced Bergaras as consistently accurate as the UL/Proof (I know some accurate ones) but the mglite should be great and has all the good parts out of the box if the barrel delivers.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I wouldn’t call a model 10 /110 Savage a $300 rifle. Sure, depending on the model, they’ll probably come with a cheap stock, and in my experience, any accuracy issues I’ve ever had with a Savage was due to the stock. I’ve got a 6.5CM Lightweight Hunter that I ended up putting in a Bell and Carlson and it shoots one hole groups at 100yards with factory Hornady ammo. I’ve also got a 270 WSM with the older Tupperware stock. I modded that stock with carbon arrow shafts and JBWeld to internally stiffen it, and it also shoots legitimately 1/2” to 3/4” groups with Nosler Trophy Grade factory ammo.
Sure, they aren’t as pretty or refined as some other rifles, and I know they get a lot of hate on the Slide, but I’d never hesitate to purchase another Savage. The 110/10 has been around since the late 50’s, and has long had a reputation for being one of the most accurate out of the box factory rifles.
I think with many modern hunting rifles, it really comes down to your preference and what you value in firearms. A lot of manufacturers are producing quality accurate rifles now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobinmi

WKR
I've played with both but not extensively. I'd say its a pickem on the barrels with the bergara being a nicer rifle overall by a wide margin. I bought my savage ultralight used in a MDT XRS chassis. Not sure why the previous owner used the ultralight to build a heavy rifle but the price was fantastic so I couldn't pass it up. That proof barrel shoots factory hornady eld-m and eld-x's into about .6 size groups though.

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t call a model 10 /110 Savage a $300 rifle. Sure, depending on the model, they’ll probably come with a cheap stock, and in my experience, any accuracy issues I’ve ever had with a Savage was due to the stock. I’ve got a 6.5CM Lightweight Hunter that I ended up putting in a Bell and Carlson and it shoots one hole groups at 100yards with factory Hornady ammo.

Fully agree. My inexpensive rifle/expensive barrel comment was because people (myself included) often look down on these due to the action not being glass smooth like a Tikka when in the end it's the accuracy that counts and these Savages deliver in my experience.

Balsak

FNG
I'm considering the same conundrum including changing the stock. But also considering a fierce rifle.

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
Well considering a Bergara carbon 300 win mag and putting in a chassis more than likely

Lol read both of my threads on Farce and Bergarbage. Just get a tikka. I tried to avoid that inevitability and paid big time.

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
Tikka have carbon fiber?
It does now. Proof 20" 7PRC conversion from 300WM.

My custom Tikka 7PRC in an aftermarket chassis is still about $600+ cheaper than I paid for my Fierce Reaper that still is not fully functional after several warranty repairs.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I dont want to buy a new rifle and replace everything but the action
There are many folks who will do that work for you, delivering you a superior product at the same or lower cost than these other factory options. Unknown Munitions comes to mind, as does Hells Canyon Armory. There also may be local Roksliders to you (like me) with the equipment to put the gun together for you in under an hour for a sixer of beer.

-J