Pronghorn Hunt - which rifle

peleejosh

FNG
My son (19) and I have a rfile pronghorn hunt in the Cheyenne area in Oct, assuming we draw. Wanted to get everyone's opinions on rifles to take.

My son is in better shape than me, he is a college athlete. However, he is not quite as good of a shot as me at longer ranges (200 yards plus).

We have a tikka 7mm Rem Mag and a Savage 6.5 Creed. Both will be topped with 4-16 scopes.

We will be practicing longer shots at the range, but my thought is put him on the 7mm RM in case he has a marginal shot?
Any thoughts appreciated.

Have him shoot the CM all summer so he’s comfortable. He’ll be more likely to shoot the smaller gun more during practice due to recoil. It’ll be less expensive for him to practice more.

Then use the gun he’s familiar with on the hunt. Antelope aren’t hard to kill

WCB

WKR
Which ever he shoots better....Not sure of what a "marginal" shot is on a goat, but goats die easy....I've seen 17 Rems kill them deader than snot at 350-400yards.

OP
peleejosh

peleejosh

FNG
Have him shoot the CM all summer so he’s comfortable. He’ll be more likely to shoot the smaller gun more during practice due to recoil. It’ll be less expensive for him to practice more.

Then use the gun he’s familiar with on the hunt. Antelope aren’t hard to kill
Makes sense, thanks for the feedback

Also waiting on draw results for goats in Wyoming, my main rifle will be a Ruger 6.5 creedmore along with a back up Remington XCR in .308 both rifles shooting well out to 500 yards and will shoot all summer right up to time to leave for the hunt hopefully. Good Luck on the draw and hope you have a rewarding hunt, nothing like hunting the speedsters of the prairie. Put the kid on the 6.5 he will do O.K. with it.

WestTex

FNG
6.5 Creed is plenty! I’ve been fortunate enough to chase the speed goats with my dad around Cheyenne since he moved there in ‘93. We’ve taken several with the 6.5 caliber, the longest shot being just over 400 yards. The last one I took was with a .243 at 212 yards. Good luck!

Grizz208

FNG
Which ever rifle he feels more comfortable with. I shot my goat with a 6.5 last season and the shot wasn't the best but got the job done just fine.

Either rifle will do the job. Just get a bunch of trigger time this year, practice out to 400 yds, and you should be in good shape for your hunt.

6.5 will do just fine. Unless the terrain is dead flat with zero cover you can usually sneak to within 200 yards. Wife drew a doe tag a few years back, never having shot big game before dropped the doe at 160 yards. Lots of practice and drills at the the range vs just slinging lead.

ID_Snow

FNG
Give him the creed and a pile of ammo to shoot all summer. No need for anything bigger.

Have him shoot the one he’s most comfortable with but take both.

1 is none and 2 is 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

amaxjack

FNG
Agree with all those who have said, either one will be just fine. Both are more than adequate.
The 6.5 Creedmoor is my pick of the two but if you wanna buy a new gun 243 would be awesome for a young man to shoot a more than enough to kill antelope. Good luck on the hunt.