Progression of a 30 Round Group

eric1115

WKR
Kind of a shame you spent all that money and only got a .75 gun. Coulda gotten a Fierce, they guarantee .5moa! You gotta do your part though.

Seriously, that is damn impressive. There's no 3 round group that will ever impress me as much as that 30 rounder. There are for sure multiple .0xx 3 round groups contained in your .75 group.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I thought we could only shoot a decent group if we shot 6mm or smaller. Too much recoil.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I thought we could only shoot a decent group if we shot 6mm or smaller. Too much recoil.
On a bench, with good bags and a heavier rifle my groups with larger diameter calibers are basically identical as 6.5mm and below.

When I go hunt coyotes, rabbits, and big game animals and shoot from NOT a bench, I notice that killing hits on animals goes up dramatically with 6.5mm and below.

Guys that say they can “shoot big guns as accurately as small guns” from actual shooting positions while hunting is not true at all. Anyone who says they can, and comes out to shoot, eats a whole pile of humble pie every single time.

Ucsdryder

WKR
On a bench, with good bags and a heavier rifle my groups with larger diameter calibers are basically identical as 6.5mm and below.

When I go hunt coyotes, rabbits, and big game animals and shoot from NOT a bench, I notice that killing hits on animals goes up dramatically with 6.5mm and below.

Guys that say they can “shoot big guns as accurately as small guns” from actual shooting positions while hunting is not true at all. Anyone who says they can, and comes out to shoot, eats a whole pile of humble pie every single time.
On longer shots I shoot prone. If I can’t shoot prone I don’t shoot on longer shots. I can shoot my 10lb suppressed 300nmi as well as anything and with the 245 hybrids I’d say I can shoot it better due to its wind bucking ability. Leaning up against a tree? It’s all a crap shoot.

That is not the answer that the people joking in here wanted to hear from you lol

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
That's insane. 3/4 MOA legit 30 shot group with a fireforming load. Your gunsmith is about to be welcomed to a shit show! :ROFLMAO:
Dude builds freaking hammers. But you also need the weight. He won't even build one below 10lbs anyways though.

Come on OP, everybody knows nobody can shoot groups like that with a 30 caliber because you flinch. ;)
Most people do hahaha. But heavier platforms and recoil management are definitely real things. I would say that the majority of 30 cal magnums in the world will honestly not do this, period, under any circumstances. Whether the shooter flinches or not lol

Gstew1930

FNG
Classified Approved
Most people do hahaha. But heavier platforms and recoil management are definitely real things. I would say that the majority of 30 cal magnums in the world will honestly not do this, period, under any circumstances. Whether the shooter flinches or not lol
I’m the first to admit I do not shoot big magnums well, maybe I’m a big puss lol I don’t know. I can make the 22 creed walk & talk though 😂

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Kind of a shame you spent all that money and only got a .75 gun. Coulda gotten a Fierce, they guarantee .5moa! You gotta do your part though.

Seriously, that is damn impressive. There's no 3 round group that will ever impress me as much as that 30 rounder. There are for sure multiple .0xx 3 round groups contained in your .75 group.
Hahaha so true. I seriously put zero weight in a 3 shot group anymore. It's cool when they land together, but means nothing to me lol.

This made me laugh out loud
Same! hahaha

Hahaha don't be stirring the pot lol. I shoot and kill with all cartridges and calibers. ****** up field positions, I shoot the 8 ft lb recoiling rifle better. Off a bench or prone, you couldn't tell the groups apart besides the size of the bullet holes pretty much.

What app is that? I’ve seen it a few times and I must have it.
SubMOA. Watch F Class John's video on youtube how to use it!

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I should clarify that I haven't shot from a bench in years. All of this group shooting is prone, in the bed of my truck, with a bipod and rear bag.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Update from yesterday evening. 50 pieces of brass are formed now. So this is with formed brass. And the extent of my accuracy/tuning testing. I just pick bullets that I’d be fine hunting with, test them near a max charge, at longish range, and pick the best one lol. All of these were at about .010 jam into the lands. I don’t do anything scientific for finding the lands. Just sharpie the bullets and seat them deeper until the land marks quit showing up, or are super faint. Then raise the die .010.

I forgot paint when I ran down to re-paint after the 208 group. And I didn’t feel like driving it twice. So for the 225’s, I just dialed high to separate the groups.
IMG_4971.jpeg

215 Berger Hybrids
IMG_4973.jpeg
I’d feel fine hunting with any of these bullets based off the 5 shot 600 yard groups they each produced. I’m doing all of this stuff for a buddy though, and he wanted to shoot 215’s from the get go. And they did shoot excellent at range as well. So that’s what I’m going to load up for him 👍🏼.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Update from yesterday evening. 50 pieces of brass are formed now. So this is with formed brass. And the extent of my accuracy/tuning testing. I just pick bullets that I’d be fine hunting with, test them near a max charge, at longish range, and pick the best one lol. All of these were at about .010 jam into the lands. I don’t do anything scientific for finding the lands. Just sharpie the bullets and seat them deeper until the land marks quit showing up, or are super faint. Then raise the die .010.

I forgot paint when I ran down to re-paint after the 208 group. And I didn’t feel like driving it twice. So for the 225’s, I just dialed high to separate the groups.
View attachment 735037

215 Berger Hybrids
View attachment 735040
I’d feel fine hunting with any of these bullets based off the 5 shot 600 yard groups they each produced. I’m doing all of this stuff for a buddy though, and he wanted to shoot 215’s from the get go. And they did shoot excellent at range as well. So that’s what I’m going to load up for him 👍🏼.

Looks really good. Hard to beat the boogers, I bet the 230-245s would hammer in that rifle with a stout load of 570.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Looks really good. Hard to beat the boogers, I bet the 230-245s would hammer in that rifle with a stout load of 570.
It’s got a relatively short freebore. The 215’s sit perfect in the case neck. But yeah N570 and 230 Berger’s shoot great together in the 300 NMI normally. That was my personal hunting load for a season actually. Killed a buck at 974 yards and one at 840 yards. Wasn’t impressed with the 230’s performance at those impact velocities, which is when I started shooting ELDM’s and never looked back haha

Ucsdryder

WKR
It’s got a relatively short freebore. The 215’s sit perfect in the case neck. But yeah N570 and 230 Berger’s shoot great together in the 300 NMI normally. That was my personal hunting load for a season actually. Killed a buck at 974 yards and one at 840 yards. Wasn’t impressed with the 230’s performance at those impact velocities, which is when I started shooting ELDM’s and never looked back haha

Interesting. The eldms have been good to me but this is my first year venturing into the big Berger bullets. The bergers seem to shoot better, neither are bad, but ragged hole groups are hard to pass up. We’ll have to compare notes at the end of the season.

Rumor has it nobody that shoots anything bigger than a 6mm actually kills anything so maybe we’ll get lucky. 😜

Last edited: