Products to use during barrel break in?

Trees91

WKR
To break in or not isn’t the reason for this thread.....it can’t hurt the barrel so why not do it.
I figure shoot two or three then clean for the first 20 or so or till it cleans easy. What I want to know is what guys are using to clean between shots?
I have a good one piece rod and a bore guide. I figure use a brass jag and patches, I’m not planning on using a brush. What cleaner do you guys like?
Butches? Boretech? Good ol Hoppe’s #9?
Let me know!

rayporter

WKR
you will push a lot of patches if you dont brush.

but your going to push a lot anyway. as for solvent, i have heard it said by a good smith that any solvent will do -just use a lot of it. i use butches-before it came out i used shooters choice. and hoppes before that.

i keep wipe out and patch out around and iosso as well as sweets. some might be better a certain jobs than others, everyone has their fan favorite.

i bought a CZ new a few years ago and could hardly get a patch down it. i cleaned for an hour a night for 3 nights before i got the gunk out of the barrel they ship it with.

as soon as the sun comes out i will be pushing patches on a new barrel too.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
I’m going to give butches a try and maybe a nylon brush. Butches says it does copper and carbon so we’ll see. I hope this barrel cleans up well, I’d assume so. It’ll be my first proof barrel. Looking at some weather in the upper 30s in the next week or two. Hopefully get out and shoot.

gbflyer

WKR
Really impressed with the Bore Tech Copper and Carbon removers. I’ve never used the Eliminator. I depart from the directions on a badly fouled bore by using a bronze brush that I quickly clean with stoddard solvent after each use. It rips the copper out!

Boretech solvents are all I use now. Highly recommend them. Get some nylon brushes and plated jags and you will be set.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
What’s the best method to keep the chamber clean? Shotgun mop or a big brush wrapped with a patch??

shmtastic

FNG
Another boretech fan, I use eliminator as it seems to work best. I do the shoot one and patch for five, then go to three shot sequences for five series, gives me a total of 20 rounds. After that I start shooting as the rifle is intended, be it 3 shot groups for hunting or 5 shot for bench rifles. After each session I clean to bare metal again for at least the next 50 rounds. After that I will let the rifle tell me how and when to clean. After 100-150 rounds, depending on cartridge, I do my load development.

Just how I've always done it. Let your rifle speak to you and make sure you listen to it.