Problem sighting in rifle

Teaman1

WKR
Ok gun gurus, I need help identifying a problem. After getting close to bull, I moved back to 100 yards and shot 3 groups with a new-to-me rifle. The first shot of each group was roughly 3 inches in different directions from the bullseye to basically be a 5” group. The second and third shots from each group hit within an inch of the bullseye. At first I thought the scope needed to “settle” after a small adjustment, but I made no adjustment between the 2nd and 3rd groups and had the same result. I’m using a brand new Vx3i 3.5-10x40. The stock is slightly “warped,” its closer to one side of the barrel than the other. Do I need to buy a new stock?

JWP58

WKR
Could be a lot of things. Were you shooting off a good rest? Did you shoot multiple types of ammunition (different weights, manufacturers), is the scope a known entity, were the bases and mounts loctite'd? Lots of variables.

Wrench

WKR
5" groups are most likely to be optics / mounts with unstable bullets also a possibility.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Each shot was with Nosler ammo (accubonds)
I will take the scope of and put it back on to make sure I didn’t screw that up. Each shot was off the same rest and I have a light trigger.
I just thought it was odd that the 2nd and 3rd shots made 1-1.5 inch groups all together, but only the first shot of each group was way off

howl

WKR
Clean it thoroughly and make sure all screws are torqued down. If you don't have a torque wrench, just tight enough that the L-shaped Allen or Torx key flexes slightly is about right.

Shoot larger groups (more rounds)
Let barrel cool between groups
Check all screws (action/stock, rings, mounts, ect.)

I assume you have a plastic stock. I had a similar issue with my rem 700. I pulled the stock, used a heat gun and was able to take the warp out of it. I also removed some material to make sure the barrel was free floated. It was a real pita, but helped and I saved some $ over buying a new stock.

I always try the free stuff before throwing money at a problem

Wrench

WKR
Are they lr accubond by chance? The lrab has a seating sensitivity that will mess with you.

Pick up a Wheeler F.A.T torque driver, they’re usually around 40 bucks and get your rings and bases torqued to spec. Vortex suggests 15-18 in. Lbs on your rings. If you run them up to 18 be careful with loctite. It can actually act as a lubricant when when tightening.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
If no changes were made in between groups, the only variable is yourself. If there were a mechanical issue it would be random and not consistently the first shot of your groups, but the issue would also have a consistent result. The rifle doesn't know what shot of a group it is.

What brand of rifle is this? I would take a socket of appropriate size wrapped with sandpaper and sand the barrel channel until the barrel is free floated.
What type of rest? If a lead sled throw that thing away!

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Was the regular accubond. It’s a very light weight rifle. Can’t tell if the stock contacts the barrel or not. Will try some single shots and cool barrel between rounds. I’ll let my brother shoot as well. I’m all but positive it wasn’t me

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
I have a 300 wsm that is not much heavier, that I shoot very well and I could not tell a difference in recoil. I will try again to make sure I’m not the problem

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely mechanical, not temp of barrel or seating depth, and if you can shoot probably not you either. Check screws not bottoming out on mounts, action screws tight, don’t be afraid to blame the scope.