Prime Black 5 string replacement

Titan_Bow

WKR
Guys, in your experience, is it better to go with a reputable custom string maker or just have your local shop (again reputable) make a string?
The last time I restrung my Hoyt, I purchased a custom string online from a place that gets a lot of good reviews. I double checked on Hoyt’s spec sheet for my bow and provided all the proper measurements. However, when the local shop put the string on, they told me it wasn’t quite right and it took them a while to get things properly set up.
My fear with the Prime is the 7 piece string set. Just seems like it’s way more opportunity for things to go wrong..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
If you’re the original owner any reason not to go with primes free replacement? That’s what I have done with mine.

Reactions: ZDR
FWIW your experience restringing your Hoyt is not uncommon. I've restrung probably 100 hoyts over the last couple years and the defiant series seem to be particularly egregious offenders. Always way out of time with strings at spec. ABB actually started making cables shorter than spec to deal with the issue.

With the exception of Athens which ships with GAS strings, I always prefer custom to factory. Lots of good options out there these days.

NY12020

FNG
FWIW your experience restringing your Hoyt is not uncommon. I've restrung probably 100 hoyts over the last couple years and the defiant series seem to be particularly egregious offenders. Always way out of time with strings at spec. ABB actually started making cables shorter than spec to deal with the issue.

With the exception of Athens which ships with GAS strings, I always prefer custom to factory. Lots of good options out there these days.
Agreed...and I may be wrong...but my understanding of many of the Hoyts is that draw length changes were historically done by using different cam sizes; as opposed to rotational modules. With that in mind i can see where the lengths could be incorrect; since every cam size would have dedicated lengths.

To the OP...I'm not sure about Prime but i'd imagine they use modules; as most do these days. I don't think you will have any issues getting strings from a custom builder; give JBK a call he does great work.

It's been years since I have used string/cable from a name brand manufacturer, unless they came on the bow. Then I shot them until they needed replaced.

I don't build them, but know people who do and get them to build me one from my preferred material.

Not uncommon for me to pull everything and give them the measurements I need rather than starting over with factory specs.

Stalker69

WKR
Try catfish strings, or park and sons if you want after market strings. But I would call prime and see what they will do, I had good luck with there customer service the one time I used it.

I've had good luck with Prime strings (new purchase with two more free sets on my Rival). I did buy a backup Rival that came with a custom set installed (PM me if you want to know the brand)....no wonder the guy was selling the bow, it was way out out of time and spec. Pulled off the custom set and put the Prime strings that he had included back on it and it was back to spec and timed.